Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Trimming the guest list after the STDs?

Have any of you trimmed your guest list after you announced your wedding? We didn't send formal STDs but we did announce it via facebook (an event) and a wedding site. 

We had a unexpected expense so now I'm thinking of trimming my guest list to those that are in my B list - about 20 people. I don't think anybody has booked anything yet but I know of a few that are starting to plan their trip. 

Is that a big no no thing to do? 
A work in progress: MY PLANNING BIO Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Trimming the guest list after the STDs?

• Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

This is touchy because you've made an annoucement about it so anyone that you are friends with on FB may be upset if they don't get an invitation.  You still haven't sent out STD's so you could just make one guest list and go from there and take the wedding event off you FB page to prevent issues down the road and don't talk wedding stuff on FB at all.

I'm not a fan of B lists - make your guest list and if they don't make the cut on the A list then they don't need to be added later. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, just to ensure I understand, are you wanting to trim people that you have already designated as invitees to the facebook event?  If yes, I'd definitely not be in favor of removing them now.  Whether it's in print or word of mouth, or facebook, you invited them even if they haven't gotten something more formal yet.  It would be very rude to uninvite them at this point.  If the event was designated private so only invitees had access, and these b-listers haven't been added to the event yet, then I see no issue not inviting them since they haven't really been invited to begin with.

A traditional b-list operates with the assumption that the people on the b-list will never know they were on the b-list; i.e. they have absolutely no interaction socially with those who got their invites on the a-list and hope like hell it doesn't come up in conversation between an a-list and b-list guest (hence why people don't like them, since there's still that chance).

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh! I see both of your points. It's a private even but my B list is in there so you're right... I cannot un-invite them. I may just have to suck it up buttercup and deal with my consequences. 

Thank you both for your opinion... I really appreciate it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be upset if I were invited on FB and then never got invited to the actual event.

Can this unexpected event be pushed until after the wedding? Can you scale back on other expenses like your dress budget, or forgo flowers or something?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trimming-guest-list-after-stds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:2beeceb7-1ac3-4d25-8ef5-276b0db5a72dPost:8f29a3b1-d8ec-4638-9c7b-7a95f51b8454">Re: Trimming the guest list after the STDs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would be upset if I were invited on FB and then never got invited to the actual event. Can this unexpected event be pushed until after the wedding? Can you scale back on other expenses like your dress budget, or forgo flowers or something?
    Posted by CamilleJon[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I can't move it but yes... I'll be cutting expenses somewhere else like you said, the flowers, no welcome bags, favors, less decorations, less options for different drinks, etc. I hope it all works out at the end :(

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trimming-guest-list-after-stds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:2beeceb7-1ac3-4d25-8ef5-276b0db5a72dPost:1fe2704d-eed7-4cf4-a37a-3b01d2ef36f1">Re: Trimming the guest list after the STDs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trimming the guest list after the STDs? : I can't move it but yes... I'll be cutting expenses somewhere else like you said, the flowers, no welcome bags, favors, less decorations, less options for different drinks, etc. I hope it all works out at the end :(
    Posted by AnaC09[/QUOTE]

Welcome bags and favors are un-nessesary. I promise no one will miss them.

The vista suite really does not need much for decor, just pickup some tealights and holders from IKEA. Or even the post holiday clearanced items (I have some cute "xmas" candle holders that are plain silver colored, can't tell they're supposed to be holiday)

Also, looking at you Bio's budget, sign up for MB's Facebook, guest book, and SmarterVegas.com. I noticed you have the room budgeted at $1500 for 2 nights. I looked at one of the promos and it was $840 for 2 nights, so keeping your eyes peeled could save a couple hundred.

Have you looked into anywhere else for your reception dinner?  At a budgeted price of $1800, that $40pp. I've heard many girls averaging about $30-$35pp to have Masterpiece cater in the room, and you are already paying for the suite, so that could be an option to shave off a couple hundred.
  • Options
    PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    To me STD's are a waste of time and money, so I am not going that route.  The money can be well spent elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trimming-guest-list-after-stds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:2beeceb7-1ac3-4d25-8ef5-276b0db5a72dPost:ecab6b14-8efd-44d3-b079-eaa740446f91">Re: Trimming the guest list after the STDs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]To me STD's are a waste of time and money, so I am not going that route.  The money can be well spent elsewhere.
    Posted by PhoneCardLady[/QUOTE]

I would disagree with that when it's a destination wedding.  An STD is a very important 'as good as an invite' document that enables guests to book travel well in advance of when invites typically go out, and that can result in significant cost savings for your guests.  If you're going to send invites way early, sure, that works too, but most people don't do that and the STD suffices to let people know they can start planning their travel now.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trimming-guest-list-after-stds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:2beeceb7-1ac3-4d25-8ef5-276b0db5a72dPost:9fbe84b9-001e-4eb5-8ade-9864b6584df5">Re: Trimming the guest list after the STDs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trimming the guest list after the STDs? : I would disagree with that when it's a destination wedding.  An STD is a very important 'as good as an invite' document that enables guests to book travel well in advance of when invites typically go out, and that can result in significant cost savings for your guests.  If you're going to send invites way early, sure, that works too, but most people don't do that and the STD suffices to let people know they can start planning their travel now.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]
    Ditto all of this.  Also, if you really don't want to "waste" the money, you send a STD e-mail...
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    STDs don't cost much but can save your guests lots of money. 

I would recommend not using Facebook as your STD mechanism, however.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our STD's cost about $30 with a fairly big guest list and even had some extra. I also think it's a nessasary curdisy for a DW.
    OP We went threw the kind of the same thing. We talked about it with some extendent family and when we actually sat down and realized just how many of them there were we thought about not actually sending that STD to the B's, but we too decided we (I) blabbed my own bed, so we had to lye in it..  whoopsie! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everybody for your input. I don't think the STDs are my issue here and more of the food/drinks per head but I'll figure out a way to save money on things that don't matter that much. We will be sending a formal invitation in a few weeks to everybody that was already informed about the wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards