Nevada-Las Vegas

Traveling with dress

Hey ladies... how did yall travel with your dress? Were the airlines cooperative with you? Did you just pack it? Suggestions please!
Also if anyone had a steamer come steam their dress I would appreciate any recommendations!

Re: Traveling with dress

• Savannah6783Savannah6783 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I flew southwest and carried my dress on the plane. I carefully placed it in an overhead compartment and then one of the stewardess's grabbed it and said she would place it with her belongings. She STUFFED it above her stuff. I almost had a heart attack! I brought my own steamer with me and it worked just fine getting all of the wrinkles out. 
    My MOH flew southwest for her Vegas wedding and they carried the dress on the plane and hung it with the captain. I guess its the luck of the draw.
  • atlcatloveratlcatlover member
    edited December 2011
    I carried mine on with me (Delta), and fortunately the stewardess took it from me and hung it in a closet before I could even ask.

I arranged for Debi with Fit for a Bride to steam my dress once we got to Vegas so I wasn't too worried about it getting wrinkled.  You can ship the dress to her if you prefer, but I just didn't feel comfortable doing that.
  • mayanutmayanut member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, it's really hit or miss on the airplane.  I've heard very different stories from brides flying the same airline.  I carried mine on, no problem, and put it in the overhead.  But I would highly recommend arranging for steaming when you get there so that you don't stress about it.  For me, it was less about on the plane than lugging it through the airport and fitting it through the x-ray.  Since I had Debbi at Fit for a bride lined up, I just didn't worry.  She was great.
  • Ray_RayRay_Ray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My Bridal shop packed mine for me in a hand luggage sized box the day before we flew. I took it on and the sterwardesses (Virgin from London) looked after the box for us. When I unpacked my dress (almost 48 hours after it being packed) and hung it up, it was PERFECT. Not a crease- and this was a big dress. No need for steaming. I think you can get most dresses into a carry-on sized container with help from your Bridal shop. Even if the stewardesses had not have taken it for us, the dress would have made it to Vegas in the same condition as it would have been protected in an overhead compartment.
    Really stress free and saved the expense of steaming

• mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I shipped mine myself...on the way back, we folded it and put it in a large back and checked it. If we weren't already bringing so much with us to Vegas, I probably would have just carried it on.
    Shipping it do Debi at Fit For a Bride did give me peace of mind knowing the most important parts of the wedding day (forget the groom ;) lol) were already in Vegas.
  • jccswljccswl member
    edited December 2011
    It was a struggle lugging the dress. It's true about the airlines, it's the luck of the draw. I was super friendly, the person at the gate could care less. I flew Southwest, and it's a good thing I did the preboard the day before and I was one of the first to board. This secured a good chunk of the overhead to my dress, I put other carry on luggage b/c the flight was full and I didn't want someone else to put their stuff on top of my dress. I think the passengers were more understanding than the flight attendants. But that's just  my luck with airlines, some are super nice and some don't care at all. My veil was the only thing that was wrinkled.
  • juliestevejuliesteve member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I flew Continental and United and had no problems with either carrier. They charge you for your checked luggage, but since they saw I was getting married they waived the fees for us :)
    My dress was hung up on both trips (there and back) but again, it will depend on how nice of a flight attendant you'll have...
  • edited December 2011
    I flew Southwest and just put mine in its own overhead bin knowing I was having it pressed when I got to Vegas. It wasn't a big deal at all.

Definitely preboard, though, so you have your choice of overhead bins.
  • achang2001achang2001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I flew on American and there was another bride who boarded before me and so her dress used up the closet. I had to crush mine up in the overhead bin. It looked so bad by the time it got to vegas but I had Debi fit for a bride take care of it. She was great!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards