Nevada-Las Vegas

I know you all Love him... but (long vent)

It's been 2 1/2 months since my wedding and with each passing day I dislike Todd Bently more and more. (I know, I know I'm a 1 percenter... if that... but I'm sorry, I need to vent)

I posted a review after the wedding, I had the "hiccup" with Todd not showing up.  Well, the weeks following the wedding, I asked for him to speak to my SIL regarding the situation (I was not calm enough to speak to him myself).  She asked for a refund of my deposit and the difference of what I had to pay for the photographer I hired an hour before my ceremony.  His only offer was $400 extra.

When a month passed since my wedding, I had to email him asking why I hadn't at least gotten my deposit back.  I finally got it a few days later and then more email exchanges between us occured regarding the other money, where he gave me the following reasons for not paying me:

1.  I had another qualified photographer ready and able within 60-90 minutes of realizing that my assistant had made a scheduling error.  If I had received a confirmation even a day or 2 before the wedding, I would have driven back from California and covered it myself. 

2.  I never promised to pay for another (more expensive) photographer it I was unable to fulfill my duties.  If you had cancelled the wedding would you have paid me any of the additional money owed?  If Applebees accidentally cancels your reservation are they going to pay for you to go to Ruth Chris across the street?  Unfortunately accidents sometimes happen.

After that I really got pissed.  I sent a long winded angry email which included the Nevada statute that proved I was entitled to the money and  even accused him of insulting me with irrelevant and asinine excuses.  Then I gave the following to his reason:

1.  I DID call and emailed the day before the wedding.  Then the day of, we called, left messages and even texted for 3 1/2 hours with no response from you.  The only reason we got a hold of you is because you FINALLY answered the phone at 11:30 (2 hours before the start of the ceremony). 

1a. During that 8 minute conversation where you informed us you were in California, not once did you offer to rectify the error by finding us a replacement.  We had to ask YOU if it was possible in which you replied you'd "see what you could do".  It wasn't until 12:16 (12 minutes after I had hired a new photographer & 1 hour before I was heading to the ceremony) that your so-called ready and available photographer called me. I didn't have the luxury of time (as I did in April when I paid you) to wait around or shop for a more budget friendly photographer (who by the way, I hadn't done any research on and who had to reschedule an E-shoot to show up for me)

2.   As a "professional" I would think you knew what the deposit was actually for - The non-refund is to protect the
photographer from cancellations not the other way around.  So the answer to your question would be NO, I would not pay you if I canceled my wedding, but I wouldn't be asking you to pay me back my deposit either. 

2a. Since the courts recognize a wedding as a special occasion, if I were having my reception at Applebees for $30pp and they "accidentally canceled my reservation" an hour before, you can be damn sure I will have them pay the difference for my $120pp Ruth Chris dinner!

I also told him I was willing to work with him, but I was also confident taking it to court and since then (late Sep) I haven't heard from him.

After waiting a bit for him to respond, I filled a complaint with the BBB and he has until tomorrow to resond to the claim (but from the looks of it, it's highly unlikely).  Now I have an attorney going over everything and putting something together cause it doesn't look like I'll be hearing from him until I take some real action.

Ok, I'm done... I'm sorry if I broke any rules here (as you can tell I hardly ever post) but I just really needed to vent to people that actually know (or know of) who I'm talking about. 

In no way am I trying to dissuade anyone from him, hell, he was my first "check" - he's got a stellar rep and budget friendly price, but this has been my personal experience with the infamous Todd Yell

Anniversary

Re: I know you all Love him... but (long vent)

• edited December 2011
    What a mess, good luck
    Fuuck your feelings
  • mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know how you feel.

We didn't book Todd, but we had similar problems with Scheme which it seems nobody has had an issue with so far.

I feel like some of the vendors are very good when they're good, and probably rarely make mistakes, but as soon as there is a big problem they are horrible at rectifying it.

I thought about it this way...  If they think they can get away with not making any sort of ammends and blame the customer, what's to stop them from taking the same approach on the chance it happens again?  In my case (and it looks like in your case, too) you were able to handle the situation, but the next bride may not be so lucky or have the resources/time to.

Afterall, in the wedding business you get one shot to make it right!  If a vendor messes up, there's no amount of money or compensation that can "fix" things, as you don't get a do over for your day.  (Even if marrying your s/o is the most important part, realistically anyone spending a lot of time/effort/money planning wants to be able to look back on the result of that with very positive memories beyond just that.)  Why should you have to pay more because you had to get a photog on emergency because the one you booked never showed?  I would stick to your guns!  Clerical error or not that is not your problem.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry all this is happening.  I hope it all works out for you.  And you would think that he would realize that one bad review does more damage than ten good ones.  Hopefully he'll get his act together and make it right.
  • edited December 2011
    It's very gracious of you to call it a "hiccup".
    What's really appalling is that he's trying to make you responsible by complaining that he didn't receive a confirmation email.... ????.... um, hello! You took the DEPOSIT MONEY you better confirm with your own a$$ that you're going to show up for work!
  • edited December 2011
    What wiwi said, it's extremely gracious of you to just call it a hiccup. Also, I couldn't imagine expecting my boss to remind me that I had to work....on a day that I was pre-paid for! And my work schedule is always the first thing I check with before I take a weekend trip to Disney. You are very patient, because I would have totally lost it a long time ago. This makes me extremely nervous.....I booked him too
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I can't seem to find the original post, but if I understand correctly, Todd was given a deposit and booked several months before the wedding date.  The booking was handled by his assistant?  Did you communicate with him at all during that time or only the assistant?  If you did communicate with him, was the date ever mentioned in the conversations?

Okay, moving on from that, he doesn't show, you find out he's out of town and didn't have your date on his schedule.  Being last minute, you hired the next photographer you could find.  Since you couldn't get in touch with him initially you started the process of getting someone else last minute, once finally hearing from him you did not immediately know whether he'd be able to find a replacement, so everything else was set in motion before you received the call from the replacement he found and that's what you stuck with.

Post wedding date, you had to work to get the deposit back, further discussion resulted in him offering you $400 above the deposit amount but not what you were asking for.  Can we know what the original amount contracted with him was and what the new photog fee was?

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_love-him-but-long-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:35d03a45-4505-4848-84ca-0831ab8e62adPost:321be2eb-031c-48c1-8768-13d9601fed2a">Re: I know you all Love him... but (long vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't seem to find the original post
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

<a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_got-hitched-this-long-w-prelim-reviews">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_got-hitched-this-long-w-prelim-reviews</a>
    Fuuck your feelings
  • edited December 2011
    I have to say that calling it a hiccup is a VERY nice way of putting it. I know for me pictures are one thing that is sssooo important and I would flip if that happened!I have to say tho when I did contact Todd before I decided to go with someone else it wasn't that great. he told me he had another shoot that day but he might be able to "squeeze" me in. I had already decided to go with someone else so I declined but I don't think double booking or squeezing someone in on an important day is good business. but I have seen some very happy brides but I am glad I didn't go with him.
  • starryeyed77starryeyed77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yikes!  Im sorry you are having to deal with this.
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly, I called him and he said he didn't have my date open but "if I wanted to I could change the date of my wedding so he could be there"...now I understand, the man is good, but come on really....my life doesn't revolve around your photography skills. I just thought that was a reallly self centered comment and immediately turned me off to his services, even though he didn't have my date open I would have gone with someone else anyways. I am excited to use my photographer, her pictures are just lovely.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sophia1913Sophia1913 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_love-him-but-long-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:35d03a45-4505-4848-84ca-0831ab8e62adPost:437e878c-25be-4e06-98ee-6a777ae4a247">Re: I know you all Love him... but (long vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE] This makes me extremely nervous.....I booked him too
    Posted by AJF021410[/QUOTE]

Yikes me too.  I better send him a confirming email just so he knows I still exist.  I haven't communicated with him since way back when I sent in the deposit.

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    I'm a photographer too (different specialty though) and I don't expect my clients to be after me confirming the appointments I'm getting paid for. I'm the one calling them or email them ahead of time to confirm everything we have talked in the past. Specially at his level those kinds of mistakes are not excusable. 
    A work in progress: MY PLANNING BIO Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry your dealing with a yucky situation. Todd was my photographer on Thursday for my wedding. I did email confirm with him a week prior when I asked about timelines. He showed up late due to traffic. But he stayed nearly two hours after he was paid through. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about him. Hopefully he can rectify the problem to your satisfaction.
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear you had issues with Todd. I have him booked for January, so I hope you keep us posted :)

I'm glad you were able to find a photog on such short notice!
  • edited December 2011
    i'm confused by how much you paid for the deposit and how much was returned to you and how much you think he still owes.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_love-him-but-long-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:35d03a45-4505-4848-84ca-0831ab8e62adPost:6d7622fb-10fb-4324-928f-48ffca0ef55f">Re: I know you all Love him... but (long vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I called him and he said he didn't have my date open but "if I wanted to I could change the date of my wedding so he could be there"...now I understand, the man is good, but come on really....my life doesn't revolve around your photography skills. I just thought that was a reallly self centered comment and immediately turned me off to his services, even though he didn't have my date open I would have gone with someone else anyways. I am excited to use my photographer, her pictures are just lovely.
    Posted by smurdock1[/QUOTE]

<div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">To be honest he wasn't amongst the ones we contacted when we were "scouting" for a photographer. The images in his portfolio looked too much like stock photography-ish to us. We personally liked the work of others better, including the Cashman team at the Wynn. I don't mean to influence any of the future Todd brides, this is merely my personal opinion.</div></div>
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_love-him-but-long-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:35d03a45-4505-4848-84ca-0831ab8e62adPost:6d7622fb-10fb-4324-928f-48ffca0ef55f">Re: I know you all Love him... but (long vent)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I called him and he said he didn't have my date open but "if I wanted to I could change the date of my wedding so he could be there"...now I understand, the man is good, but come on really....my life doesn't revolve around your photography skills. I just thought that was a reallly self centered comment and immediately turned me off to his services, even though he didn't have my date open I would have gone with someone else anyways. I am excited to use my photographer, her pictures are just lovely.
    Posted by smurdock1[/QUOTE]

Before we spent any time choosing a photographer, we emailed a handful to find out if they were even free and what their pricing was.  Only after that did I spend any time checking their portfolios.  But Todd told me the same thing, that if I could change my date to Friday, he could accommodate.  I was like, thanks but no thanks.  My date is established.  After that I went through the portfolios and we ended up with Deacon (who I think stepped in for OP).

OP, I am not sure that you are going to get any sort of reimbursment over and beyond what he has offered without a lawsuit and then I am not sure what sort of damages a judge will give you. Maybe the difference between your original photog's cost and the new one?  Not sure.  You said there was a NV statute that covered this.  What kinds of damages does it award?  There should be some language around it.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards