Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

International brides....

how do you plan on getting the dress into the US? I can actually make mine fit into my hand luggage but I'm afraid that the controllers that make you pull everything out at the airport are going to question me getting married in the US and send me back ....aaaaaahhhhh... I couldn't sleep thinking about this...
The only alternative would be to use FedEx but what if they lose the box??? 
What are you doing? Help :)

Re: International brides....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am going to the USon Thursday to go dress shopping and if I bring my dress back with me i'll definitely be bringing it to Vegas in my luggage, I don't want to worry about it. And i'd rather give the money to Deb from Fit For A Bride then Fed Ex. Don't worry about customs, plenty of people do DW these days ESPECIALLY in Vegas!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thing is I'm flying home to NYC before going to Vegas. I'm worried about JFK.
  • Options
    GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have purchased a second bag option through British Airways. Ben's dad is carrying it for us, as he is returning straight after the wedding. In there we are putting my dress, the bridesmaid dress, all the rented tuxes, wedding shoes, etc. Saves us lugging them around and it means the suits can be returned pronto.

I have organised steaming with Fit for a Bride if the dresses look like they need it at the other end.
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am taking mine on as hand luggage.
    I called Virgin Atlantic and and asked them what the best thing to do was.
    They advised to let the check in girl know I am carrying my dress as hand luggage and she will advise if I can hang it in first class or not.
    To be honest I dont think I will want to let it out of my sight!
    The shop where I bought my dress said to bring in a hard back hand luggage case and they will pack my dress in it for me, apparantly the trick is lots of tissue paper to keep it crease free!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am putting mine in my hand luggage. I am a bit worried about the screening stuff as well since I have a brooch on mine (sewn on) and I am scared they are going to want to pull it out and check it with their dirty little hands! (I am also grossed out at the thought of them touching it since they don't change their gloves and could have just been handling someones stinky old trainers). I am not worried about Melbourne airport just the USA ones (we are going to have to go through 2 USA airports before getting to Vegas). My material wont crease easy so I am lucky in that regard!
    But I will probably book it in with a Debi just in case.

My mum is only coming for the week we are in Vegas so she will be taking it home with her along with the suits and anything else we want to get rid of! I am not worried about the home leg though as long as it is perfect for the day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm worried about that too j_jay :-/ but what can we do?
    Mine will fit in my hand luggage and I'd also rather not let it out of my sight - I just hope they don't pull it out of there at the screening station. Having it steamed isn't an issue if I can get it passed customs :)
    I'm a little less worried now, thanks ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Wiwicaty -
    I would defo call the airline and express your concerns, it wont hurt.
    and as long as there isnt anything else in the bag it should be fine :-)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I am also worried that they will pull it out in front of FI. I was hoping he would not see it it until I get out of the limo at the wedding site! At least if they do pull it out at screening it is in front of me....I would hate to think how it would be handled if they pulled it out in the checked luggage behind the scene area!

I have heard good things about international flights and wedding dresses...I think it is because it is less frequent for them to have brides on board and because they have  1st or business class so have a closet. Also depends on the airline too. For internal US flights if I had a more elaborate dress I would definately buy an extra seat.

I am sure everything will be ok for everyone.
  • Options
    MizLynnMizLynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dumb question...but I'm confused?

Why would they question you about your wedding dress / pull it out of the luggage?

I'm a UK-based US citizen and I make that flight often...and I have had my share of "questionable" things packed in hand luggage (leather corset, riding crop, are frequent items in my luggage -- aaaaaaand now  I sound like a major perv. Hey...don't judge, lol! )

The only time I was ever asked to pull anything out was because I'd packed a thing of suncream that was over the limit and they had to pull it out and go through my stuff. Yup, all of it. It was only a little embarassing. I think the screener was more embarassed than I was! :-) 

But yeah, don't worry about it. I know US customs can be major douches, but as long as your hand luggage complies with the rules your dress is just another piece of clothing and won't be looked at as anything more suspicious than your nightgown.... unless you're hiding a bomb in there or something. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MizLynn - that's what they usually make me do when I travel back to the US. I often fly out of London and before boarding the flight the controllers (in groups of two) open my carry-on, pull stuff out and make me open the laptop, beauty case and such. They'll probably do the same this time but it's going to be a pain to try to fold the dress as it was. I'm also worried (actually, I'm panicking) that they will question me getting married in the US being that I'm not a citizen. I'm going to call the airline and the consulate to see if they have any advice on this one. My FI says it's going to be fine because I'm not marrying an american. Hope so.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Everytime I have been to the US I have had both my bags checked and have been patted down/had extra screening, I have even had to remove my shoes and socks for the bottom of my feet to be checked (which super grossed me out as I had to stand in bare feet and I was worried about catching something like warts or tinea). It is a PIA but I fully understand why it is done.
    I think it also has to do with what they assume your ethnicity is (racial profiling even though they say it is not done) and what your past travel detinations are. We holiday in Indonesia a lot and we have travelled to lots of watch list detinations. I have also done relief work for most of my adult life and also travelled for research purposes and have travelled/extended stays in many watch list countries. 

As to the questions on marriage/wedding dress...it is a valid concern to have regarding being questioned on your intent especially if you travel seperately from your FI. The normal assumption is that you are trying to sneak in and marry for a green card. Honestly the attitudes of US border security are some of the worse I have every experienced
  • Options
    MizLynnMizLynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow....I didn't realise.

I know that women traveling alone are seen as being more suspicious, regardless of country. I think it has to do with drug smugglers using their girlfriends etc as drug mules (at least that's what one friend told me), they grilled her at UK customs for an hour because she travelling alone to come see us, and again at the UK-France border as she was going on her "eat. pray. love" tour. 

In that case, I would say to go ahead and ship it with FedEx to Fit for a Bride. Or wiwi, in your case, I know that Wynn will let you deliver it there at no extra charge and will have it ready for you when you get there. 

Who needs the extra worry? And I'm sure it's cheaper than buying an extra seat on an international flight (which is never cheap!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards