Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Hair and Make-up for MOH

Just wondering if anyone is paying for their bridal party's hair and make-up. If not how do you tell them they are to pay for their own? I'm having a small wedding at the Bellagio with only my Maid of Honor in the wedding so it's not  really a big deal, but with a wedding every penny counts!

Thanks

Re: Hair and Make-up for MOH

• Options
    jessicademahyjessicademahy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey i am originally from Houston!

I am not paying for it either, i told them if they wanted it done this is who was doing mine and how much it was, they are more than welcome to shop around to check pricing though
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am paying for everything for my BM's (hair, makeup, dress, shoes etc) but it is standard practice in my neck of the woods and I can not fathom asking someone to pay to take partin my wedding.

But it is standard practice for the bride not to pay now days.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I paid for my bridesmaid hair and makeup. I just let them know when I gave them their gifts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're paying for Bridesmaids, MOH, and Moms to get their hair and makeup done.
  • Options
    GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also paying for my bridesmaid to have her hair done - it would be awkward otherwise...
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since it's a destination wedding, I didn't think it would work very well to just leave them to their own devices.  It's not like they could just go to their own usual stylist, you know?  Telling them to figure it out for themselves would have required a ton of extra work on their part, not to mention coordinating people who may be going all over town and making sure everyone had a ride and got back on time.  Ginormous headache.

I contacted each girl and asked if she'd be interested in pro hair and makeup, and how much she'd be willing to contribute if I wasn't able to cover the whole cost.  Then I spent quite a while researching to find someone who would give me a decent group rate (since I had five bridesmaids and one groomswoman) and set aside every spare penny I had so that I could afford to cover the cost.

Basically, I paid for the convenience of everyone being able to get ready together.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Sloane99Sloane99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also paying for the two BMs and mothers to get hair and make-up done. I really wanted to do this for them given that everyone else is spending a lot of money just to even be there so we worked it into the budget. Plus, as a PP pointed out they don't have the same options that they would if we were just getting married at home.

That being said though, unless you insist on a certain hairstyle or make-up I don't think you're under any obligation to pay.

I would ask your MOH what she plans to do for it and let her know that you were going to go to X and that she is welcome to do what she wants but you thought you would let her know in case she wanted to make her own appointment. That way the decision is up to her whether or not to spend her money on it.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I gave my MOH the option, but she wanted to do her own hair and makeup. She is very particular and quite good at it, so it worked out. She actually ended up doing our Best Woman's hair as well. We all got ready together in the Vista Suite.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_hair-up-moh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:421cda24-d6bf-42d2-9739-20fd4bc96f6cPost:12bd4197-54b0-437a-aa03-298918e253e8">Hair and Make-up for MOH</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just wondering if anyone is paying for their bridal party's hair and make-up.<strong> If not how do you tell them they are to pay for their own?</strong> I'm having a small wedding at the Bellagio with only my Maid of Honor in the wedding so it's not  really a big deal, but with a wedding every penny counts! Thanks
    Posted by jamie2442[/QUOTE]
    i may be the only person who read this post this way...but...you can't <u>require</u> your BMs/MOH to have professional hair and make up done if you're not paying for it.

as all the other posts have said - if you don't have the means to pay for her hair or makeup you can let her know "this is what i'm doing, this is what it would cost for you to get hair, and this is what it would cost to get make up, do you want me to book you an appointment as well (either for hair OR makeup OR both)?"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are requiring then you pay, if it is optional then you can let them know who you are using and how much it would cost. I paid for my 2 SIL's, 2 BFF's and my Mom.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, if you're requiring them to use a pro, even if you let them choose the style, you need to pay. 

My girls actually all opted to do their own makeup when presented with the option, so the stylist did both hair and makeup for me, but just hair for everyone else.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    pebbs_17pebbs_17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying for my ladies hair and make-up, and dresses.  I figured since they are paying for their airfare and hotel it was the least I could do.  We are also paying for the tux rentals for the guys. 
  • Options
    guamibearguamibear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I won't be able to pay for everyone, I'm on a tight budget. But one of my bridesmaids used to be a make up artist and offered to do my and my mother's make up on the big day. I do plan on getting my hair professionally done. I plan on doing the leg work to check out prices on make up and hair and let my ladies know what I find and help them make appointments. Everyone is pretty aware of how much money I DON'T have. I've been in other weddings and paid for it myself or done my own.

I don't think the bride is obligated to pay for hair. It's a nice thing you can do if you have the income to do so, but for any weddings I've been in, I've never expected anyone to do that for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards