Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

LA/Cali Peeps- because I know there are a few of you!

Would you suggest buying prepaid transfers (only need one way) from the airport to our hotel in Anaheim? What will a taxi costs? There will be 3 of us.

The guys want to go to Universal (from Anaheim). I have looked at transfers and they seem expensive per person (about $30 each) and very restrictive (as in home by 5 or 7pm). Last time I walked to Universal from my hostel (took about an hour) but caught a bus back. Do you think it is feasible to catch public tranport from Anaheim to Universal? I know it can be done but the trip planner brings up complicated changes and about 2.5hrs to get home (the morning trip came out at about a half hr less. Not sure why). Would a taxi be ridiculously expensive?

FBIL will be joining us in LA for one day before heading off with his FI along the coast. He has mentioned going to Tijuana for the day (driving to the border and walking across then catching a bus or taxi). They really want to go and sample Tequila and grab some flavoured stuff because we do not get that here and he loved the stuff I brought back last time I went to Mexico City.

I wasn't impressed with Tijuana last time I was there. Does anyone think it is worth the visit? Or is there something better that I can suggest to them for the day?

Thanks for your local knowledge and help :)

Edit- b/c my spelling really sucks today!

Re: LA/Cali Peeps- because I know there are a few of you!

• Options
    Ch2ndraCh2ndra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In So Cal, I would suggest renting a car. It would be cheaper for you to get from Anaheim to Universal and then you can head south to TJ.
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_lacali-peeps-because-there-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:62a493c2-d1db-4b46-831a-664479aa2a88Post:bf1f9716-3bfc-4787-aea1-2e2372499860">Re: LA/Cali Peeps- because I know there are a few of you!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In So Cal, I would suggest <span style="font-weight:bold;">renting a car</span>. It would be cheaper for you to get from Anaheim to Universal and then you can head south to TJ.
    Posted by Ch2ndra[/QUOTE]

This. Also to be honest I am really not a fan of TJ, you could always just hang out at the beach and hit some good Mexican restaurants in San Diego.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would most def pass on TJ.  If you were going south, I would drive to Lobster Village (Puerto Nuevo) BUT I think that is one of the areas that people are saying don't drive through right now.  Too much unrest and violence.  Eh, I'm not sure I agree with that but I am not going to recommend it while there are warnings.

Also, our public transport sucks donkey balls.  It would take you a week to get from Anaheim to Universal.  Definitely rent a car (and splurge on GPS).  SoCal sucks without a car.  Plus, if you get bored at Universal Studios you could get in the car and cruise over to Hollywood or Santa Monica. 

In the long run, a car rental would be cheaper than cabs.  For those not renting a car, definitely use Prime Time or Super Shuttle to go from the airport to the hotel.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you rent, I definitely would not take the car to TJ unless the rental agreement, and added insurance which you would want to buy in that case, specifically cover it; if something were to happen to the car you could end up liable for the whole thing.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can buy Mexican Insurance at the border before you cross.  BUT your rental contract may say you cannot take it to Mexico...or even to Nevada. 

American insurance does not flyin Mexico.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Rent a car. We live in Anaheim and FI used to work at Universal. In no traffic its a 40 minute drive in heavy traffic it can take upwards of 2 hours. It's about 35 miles so your looking a $100 cab ride.

I've never seen any draw to go to TJ.

If your not renting a car at the airport, get the shuttle/transfer to your hotel. It'll be cheaper than a cab.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Guys.

We knew about not taking the rental into Mexico- we planned o walk across anyways as the lines are usually shorter than waiting in a car.

We might leave Universal to the last day then as we are hiring a car to drive to Las Vegas so it wont make much difference to pick it up a day earlier.

@LilMiss- is the drive to Universal easy? We will be driving on the opposite side of the road and  will have a GPS but I afraid of spending half a day driving around a city lost!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you do go to TJ, don't let anyone talk you into seeing the donkey show lol.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_lacali-peeps-because-there-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:62a493c2-d1db-4b46-831a-664479aa2a88Post:73baeae8-f783-4573-8831-d41c67bf047f">Re: LA/Cali Peeps- because I know there are a few of you!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you do go to TJ, don't let anyone talk you into seeing the donkey show lol.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

lol I think that is one experience I would gladly pass on! FI would be more interested in liberating the donkey than watching it do that! He spent $2K buying a Gibbon off a guy in Thailand one time and took it to the Gibbon sanctuary so that it didn't have to spend its life in chains amusing tourists and posing for photos.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_lacali-peeps-because-there-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:62a493c2-d1db-4b46-831a-664479aa2a88Post:6b40f63b-0e80-4585-bc08-759cd8a42393">Re: LA/Cali Peeps- because I know there are a few of you!</a>:
    [QUOTE] @LilMiss- is the drive to Universal easy? We will be driving on the opposite side of the road and  will have a GPS but I afraid of spending half a day driving around a city lost!
    Posted by j_jaye[/QUOTE]

You go through LA on the hwy but Universal is actually not in LA (or Hollywood) so you won't be lost in the city.
    If you take the main route, it's only 2 highways. The 5 North to the 101 North. That's the "easiest" way. But depending on the time of day, it's also the most traffic (IMHO). If we're heading north (like to Pasadena where FI's uncle lives) we take the 91 West to the 710 North and then you would get back on the 5. (it's all about avoiding the stupid traffic out here)

BTW, people in California are the most shiit drivers I've ever had to deal with and I have driven this country from 1 end to the other and top to bottom. I've even driven in other countries on the "wrong" side of the road on the "wrong" side of the car.

Also, when driving to Vegas, I recommend taking the 57 to the 60 to the 15 instead of the 91 to the 15. Less traffic (based on my experience)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks LilMiss- I will take down your suggested route!

We are driving to Vegas via Joshua Tree and the Mojave. I think we come into Vegas via bullhead or something like that! We plan on doing the whole route planning stuff this weekend!

Thanks again everyone for your help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_lacali-peeps-because-there-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:62a493c2-d1db-4b46-831a-664479aa2a88Post:b215c65d-4263-415d-8dd4-dfa1de74f10d">Re: LA/Cali Peeps- because I know there are a few of you!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks LilMiss- I will take down your suggested route! We are driving to Vegas via Joshua Tree and the Mojave. I think we come into Vegas via bullhead or something like that! We plan on doing the whole route planning stuff this weekend! Thanks again everyone for your help!
    Posted by j_jaye[/QUOTE]

Ah well if your going that way, ignore my Vegas route suggestion b/c you'll be coming into Vegas from the south not west. If your going via Bullhead, I've heard Laughlin is a lot of fun.

I'm such a dork, I love planning out road trips. I love looking at maps.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_lacali-peeps-because-there-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:62a493c2-d1db-4b46-831a-664479aa2a88Post:a05a3e51-418a-421c-abb6-cdf4cabd91a1">Re: LA/Cali Peeps- because I know there are a few of you!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: LA/Cali Peeps- because I know there are a few of you! : Ah well if your going that way, ignore my Vegas route suggestion b/c you'll be coming into Vegas from the south not west. If your going via Bullhead, I've heard Laughlin is a lot of fun. <strong>I'm such a dork, I love planning out road trips. I love looking at maps</strong>.
    Posted by LilMissScareAll[/QUOTE]

LOL me tooooo! I am excited that we are finally doing it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards