Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Guest paying for own meal at reception?

Hi all,

We are getting married at The Chapel of Flowers in March, 2011 at 6pm. Our parents both agreed to pay for our reception dinner but now that I'm trying to secure budget info from them they have backed out!

I'm in a crisis! My fiance thinks we should invite our guest to dinner anyways but have them pay individually.... What are your thoughts about it? Should we skip dinner all together? Maybe just have a champagne toast?

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated!!

Sincerely,
Melanie

Re: Guest paying for own meal at reception?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Please read this post.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_reception-guests-after-ceremony

It is not generally accepted as good etiquette..now....if you guys go and elope and people tag along. That is different. If you invite, please look into budget friendly ideas that some of the ladies have done.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you can't afford it I wouldn't have dinner but then if I couldn't feed my guests I wouldn't invite them to a destination wedding. The last I could do is pay for dinner, have you considering having only immediate family there. Maybe no family at all? How many guests were you planning on inviting?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Another option is to invite people for champagne and cake.  Or maybe do some appetizers?  However I would let everyone know what the deal is before you they go out there. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In terms of hospitality, a Vegas wedding isn't really that different than a wedding at home.  If I were having my wedding in my home state I would never consider not feeding people, that's not  different for Vegas.

You don't have to do a catered reception 5 course meal, but some type of food needs to be offered. Drinks and cake, appetizers, finger foods, something. Maybe try a buffet or even try getting party platters and do an in-suite. You could even get food to go from some of the more popular vendors that are discussed here.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you could have a cake and champagne reception?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Either pay for a meal in a restaurant or buffet, or do an insuite reception & order appetizers and cake. If you do an insuite make sure you avoid dinner time.Your ceremony is at 6pm. Maybe you could give your guests time to go eat on their own & invite them to a cake, finger food, champagne reception at ike 9pm in the room.

Plenty of budget friendly options, but NOT feeding your guests isn't one of them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks guys. I totally agree with everyone but asked because it had be suggested by a few people. Didn't seem right to ask them to pay for their owm meal..

I like the idea an insuite reception. We are staying at the Palms so I'll look into their policy. Also, we were planning on having limos bring our guest from the chapel to our reception site. Is that something most people do? Who does the setup for an insuite reception? And could you have it directly after the ceremony??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lots of brides provide transportation. I think that is a nice addition. You can have your insuite whenever you want, including directly after your ceremony. I don't know about the Palms, but if you have Masterpiece cater your wedding (most popular for insuites on this board) they deliver and set up everything, but you have to have 1 person there to open the door.

HTH. Check out my bio for more info.
  • Options
    mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would cut the limos and beef up the food, cake, champagne offered at my reception. There are lots of options for people to find their own transportation and it sounds like you are needing to do some budget trimming/evaluating.

• Options
    Lenore2010Lenore2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have an in suite reception, make it cake and aps if you are trying to cut costs. In suite receptions with full meals are very expensive. We had a welcome dinner at the Bellagio in suite, and the pasta/salad spread for 15 people was very spendy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards