Nevada-Las Vegas

XP: Use a calligrapher?

I can't decide.

It seems so traditional, which is what I am trying to get away from, but my wedding isn't informal.

My handwritting isn't perfect so I am afraid it will look pretty casual if I handwrite them.

What did you do?

Re: XP: Use a calligrapher?

• edited December 2011

I had the same dilemma but my handwriting is just not pretty and I didn't want computer generated labels.  Plus while the wedding is informal there is still some formalities to it and I thought the calligraphy made a nice first impression.  Also with a much smaller guest count the $1.40 per envelope and .30 cents per place card was a not much at all.

• edited December 2011
    I hand wrote all of mine. I happen to like my handwriting.. and always get complements about it. So i didn't think twice.
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I fed the envelopes directly into the printer and used a somewhat formal / script type font.  I just couldn't justify spending money on a calligrapher for something that would be immediately tossed in the trash.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011
    On the invitation & paper board someone said to print everything in a light grey font and trace it with a nice pen.  It sounds like a lot of work and it would stink to ruin an invitation on the last line.  But it's a suggestion.

I'm just printing everything onto the envelopes and invites.  I think calligraphy is beautiful, but it's an added expense that's not really a top priority.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input and suggetstions, ladies :)

I think I'll do the run-through-the-printer-then-trace-it thing.
    Seems like a lot of work, but I have time and think it will be worth it.
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_xp-use-calligrapher?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:824850a9-1fab-4fdc-83dc-a75b93d08fb4Post:31be8269-4502-475c-9faf-1b11adfeab4e">Re: XP: Use a calligrapher?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the input and suggetstions, ladies :) I think I'll do the run-through-the-printer-then-trace-it thing. Seems like a lot of work, but I have time and think it will be worth it.
    Posted by CamilleJon[/QUOTE]
    I was originally going to do this, but gave up after awhile.  I have no patience.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011

I bought one of those calligraphy pens for dummies at Michael's. [Click] They came out nice looking. They came out pretty decent and I knocked out our 75 invites in 2 evenings. These are the inner envelopes
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_xp-use-calligrapher?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:824850a9-1fab-4fdc-83dc-a75b93d08fb4Post:8968758d-e603-434c-a424-e1d53634ab4b">Re: XP: Use a calligrapher?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: Use a calligrapher? : I was originally going to do this, but gave up after awhile.  I have no patience.
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

Well it was going well until FI got home and said "it looks traced". Boooooooo.

I might have to try that pen, Scary. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    We hired one and are very glad we did; things came out perfect.  We only had the envelopes done, no place cards or other things.  I think he charged us $1/each; just some local guy we found although if you need to hire one and don't have anyone local I'm sure he could help you out so PM me if you want the info.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_xp-use-calligrapher?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:824850a9-1fab-4fdc-83dc-a75b93d08fb4Post:05fc1fff-9dbe-49a9-911f-39fa3a3d7366">Re: XP: Use a calligrapher?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I fed the envelopes directly into the printer and used a somewhat formal / script type font.  I just couldn't justify spending money on a calligrapher for something that would be immediately tossed in the trash.
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]
    we did this. 
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hand wrote all of ours and in willing to bet no one noticed between opening and throwing them away. Our invites were gorgeous and conveyed the formality of our wedding. I say save the $$ for something else. No matter how nice the handwriting I don't keep the envelope.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards