Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Pros/Cons of Destination wedding

Hola ladies,

So for my blog I am putting together an entry on the pros/cons/and issues that come with a destination wedding. I am putting it together so that if a bride would happen to google something along those lines, they might be able to find my blog and learn something.

Do any of you ladies have any personal pros/cons/or issues that came up while planning or while you were in Vegas.

For example, one of my issues was that I was incredbly nervous having my family and friends flying across the country.  It made it hard for me to enjoy myself during the day because I knew that someone was still on a plane somewhere.

TIA!

Re: Pros/Cons of Destination wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think a major pro for me was the smaller intimate wedding and get to spend time with all of my guest. A con had to be some of the issues that comes with distance, such as no food tasting and not getting to see some of the details until the day of.

2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definite pros: intimate wedding which meant I got to talk to literally all of our guests. This also helped with the budget. We were able to spend around $7000 including dress and rings for the entire wedding.

Con: some guests last minute had to back out. Having everyone travel means some guests that you really want there just won't be able to make it.

Also you have to give up some control. I didn't do any sort of scouting trip and if it wasn't for the webcasting at MB I wouldn't have had any clue what would be said/did at the ceremony.

For me this lack of control was a pro and a con. I'm the type that would have worried about every single detail if I had a full blown 100 person reception at home. It was nerve wracking to give up control, but in a way, it was also freeing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BTW I love reading your blog :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_proscons-of-destination-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:9b5d0f4f-6651-43c4-bc69-a97ba0aa6cb0Post:f890b35d-51b3-46e9-90a7-09667f52425a">Re: Pros/Cons of Destination wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]BTW I love reading your blog :)
    Posted by dvohnout[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  I haven't been updating it as much due to laziness/exhaustion, but I am trying to get back into this week.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pros: FI and I got to do what we wanted and haven't had to deal with to much of what other people wanted (since only 20 people are invited)
    We are going to be able to do everything (minus dress and rings) for $6k and thats 6 days 5 nights in vegas
    I second the control thing. I think if I was having something local I would be at my venue every other day looking at details.
    Cons: People will bitch about not being invited or being too far/expensive for them to travel
    Everyone will say they'll come (because the loveVegas) but when it comes down to it some people just cant make it work, dont get your feelings hurt. Its to be expected with a DW wedding (in vegas or not).
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pros: For us, my family is so scattered that they would have had to travel anywhere we did it.  The fabulous thing about Vegas in particular is the variety of hotels in a variety of price points, so people could splurge or skimp as they chose.  Also, Vegas is a great destination because it has so many options as far as vendors and venues, you can really shop around and save money.  We liked being able to keep things intimate, and being able to do quite a lot with the guests.

Oh, and we got to start the day off with a ride on a roller coaster.  Only in Vegas, baby.

Cons: Not being able to see the Vista Suite until we got there was tough.  We also did a lot of DIY, and we had a TON of stuff in our car.  The trunk and entire backseat were packed, and I had a big box of craft stuff at my feet, working on it the whole way out. 
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PP, relinquishing control is really hard, and sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about a lot, but sometimes you just want to talk to someone in person and not via email or telephone. 

I also agree that when we first told everyone we were getting married in Vegas we had a lot of people tell us they would be there for sure, but when it came time for everyone to start booking trips only about half did.  So it does make planning for things too far in advance hard and you don't have an appropriate head count very early. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For me a con was that we were so concerned about everyone else being comfortable that we forgot about ourselves and the things we wanted to do. We planned on eating at specific restaurants, seeing shows, relaxing, but didn't get to do any of it. We felt that if people travelled that far for us, that itd be kinda rude of us to be like "well we are going to a show and dinner by ourselves"....especially since everyone was constantly pressuring us to party party party
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pro = it's kind of like having a vacation and a wedding all rolled into one!

Con = not being able to see things "up close and personal" during the planning process.

Also a big fan of your blog (love McFatty Monday!) LOLOL

Off track - Nicolewilson how did things go with your sister and dad situation? Were they able to share in your day? I know you were kind of worried about that (at least I think that was you?)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    leman000leman000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pro - it was definately more of a relaxed atmosphere than a formal at home wedding.  - we just had our at home (casual picnic) reception and it made me 100% thrilled of our decision to do the actual wedding as a destination wedding!

Con - It was so hetic and everyone wanted our time (its so hard to deny that when everyone spent $ and time off of work to travel with us).. so we finally on our last night had to say it was our night alone to be able to spend some husband/wife time together
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In response to ur question...My sister was good. My dad, on the other hand, did make things very difficult for me, and caused me a lot of stress during the time out there
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_proscons-of-destination-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:9b5d0f4f-6651-43c4-bc69-a97ba0aa6cb0Post:6ac449a4-014f-415a-84ea-12389cbb2717">Re: Pros/Cons of Destination wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In response to ur question...My sister was good. My dad, on the other hand, did make things very difficult for me, and caused me a lot of stress during the time out there
    Posted by NICOLEWILSON85[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm sorry  :-(
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the responses ladies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Right now, for me the biggest con is lack of hotel rooms available!

sorry, I'm just really upset....my WC told me the hotel oversold room and suggest I look off property. And we picked a package that included hotel perks, such as ride to courthouse to license and room-service
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards