Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Eloping to Vegas - looking for suggestions/comments

Hi everyone!

My FI and I have decided to elope to Vegas.  Why you might ask?  Here's our backstory (briefly).
Met online on Pogo.com in Nov. 2004.
Met first time in real life in Jan. 2005
Met 2nd time in Feb. 2005
He moved from NC to IL in Mar. 2005
We've been living together ever since.
I (we) have a daughter who is going to be 17 in October (I say "we" because he has raised her since she was 9 - father is not in the picture).

As you can see, we've been together 7.5 years and have always kept putting off getting married (mainly financial reasons - taxes and EIC)

Last week, we finally decided to get married.  We were going to do it in 5 weeks in NC (Oct. 16), but the minute I started planning, I freaked out.  I have no desire to have a big (or small) wedding and try and find a place to get married on short notice and blah blah blah.  You know the drill. 

We've both been married twice before - He's 49 an I'm 38.  So we've decided to do something FUN.  So we're going to Vegas, baby!

I've read through a ton of posts and reviews on here and this is what I've come up with (so far).  I'm looking for comments/suggestions and any other ideas.

Get married at the Welcome Sign.  I found this company that does it for $199.
http://www.valleyoffireweddings.com/welcome_sign.html

Photos are the most important thing to me (next to getting married) so I've decided on Todd (from the raving reviews).

Those are the only 2 things I've decided on for sure.  Haven't even picked a date yet (I start a new job on 9/12 at an airline and can't miss any days until after the 16 weeks of training).  I'm thinking March or April.   What's the weather in Vegas like in those two months?

We'll be flying out for free (perk of the new job) and I believe I get discounted rates at the hotels, but won't know details until I officially start next week.

Sorry for the long post.  I keep thinking of things I want to say/ask.

What would be a great hotel to stay at with access to everything on the strip?  I've seen how much cab rides are and really don't want to pay that everytime we want to go out and do something.

I want to get a ton of photos (My FI HATES to fly - he has agreed to do this ONE time for me.  This is my only shot at Vegas.  I want it to be memorable).  Should I look at a Vegas strip tour?

Where's a great place to eat?  We're definitely Plain Janes when it comes to eating - meat and potatoes people.  Is there a good steak place on the strip?

I want to see one good show while we're there - either comedy, a singer (think country or 70's/80's.), or something like Blue Man Group or Stomp (have no idea if they tour in Vegas).

I think that's it for now.  Again, sorry for the long post!

Re: Eloping to Vegas - looking for suggestions/comments

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, welcome and congrats! I can't be of much help as far as ceremony... Sorry. The first time we went to Vegas I bought a Frommer's guide that was really helpful, especially when it came to food. If you want to walk everywhere you can stay mid strip, at Paris or Bellagio for instance. There's a bus that runs up and down the Strip If you don't want to take cabs. It's called the Deuce, we use it all the time when we're there 'cause I'm not a fan of cabs, plus it's cheaper. Blue Man Group plays in LV, don't remember where right now... I don't think Stomp does but any Cirque show will do IMO. We saw Mystere and O. Both amazing. don't forget to checkout downtown LV as well! Happy planning! Oh, I'd definitely do a Strip photo tour after the wedding!
  • Options
    Mango9Mango9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!!!  

I am also an airline employee (woohoo).  If I can make any suggestion it would be to at least buy possitvie space tickets to Vegas.  Yoiu can always fly standby home.  This right now is my biggest regret.  I figured oh everything will be fine its September, hurricanes don't effect the northeast (famous last words).  Now I find my self constantly checking the weather to make sure that Katia isn't going to hit the east coast.  Standby is a great perk but I wish I would have just booked tickets, its not worth all the stress with everything else your worring about.

There is so much to do in Vegas it can be overwhelming just spend sometime looking up stuff and everything ends up working out!  I swear I didn't book anything without reading yelp or tripadvisor reviews first, sad I know.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello and welcome! Yes to the photo tour I recommend a cirque show Try SW steakhouse Maybe stay at Bellagio, Paris, or Caesars. Keep in mind that no matter where you are, not everything will be "walking distance" so I recommend renting a car. I recommend late April, march is still a little chilly
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    deziner73deziner73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the suggestions!  Are there any preferred vendors for the strip tour?

I think April sounds wonderful. I just did a search for average Vegas temps and March is still quite chilly (for me, anyway).

When I book Todd, I'm thinking 4 hours might be too much?  How long are the strip tours?
  • Options
    deziner73deziner73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have another issue I'm trying to figure out in my head.   What about my 17 year old daughter?  She will be in school (unless we do it over spring break...which is an option).   Is Vegas kid-friendly?  I know she would want to bring a friend - which is ok, but I've never been to Vegas and have no idea what they could do while we are doing our thing.  Or are there things we can all do as a family?
  • Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_eloping-vegas-looking-suggestionscomments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:a4710501-b3a7-4036-b648-f3cd5bae5ab7Post:bd3c5d25-356f-4e6b-ba5d-f9c96a991f86">Re: Eloping to Vegas - looking for suggestions/comments</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you all for the suggestions!  Are there any preferred vendors for the strip tour? I think April sounds wonderful. I just did a search for average Vegas temps and March is still quite chilly (for me, anyway). <strong>When I book Todd, I'm thinking 4 hours might be too much?  How long are the strip tours</strong>?
    Posted by deziner73[/QUOTE]

We did a 3 hour strip tour with Todd. It was plenty of time to do strip spots (Bellagio, Venetian, Mandaly Bay) , LV sign and go over to Fremont St. We did have a limo for transportation.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The strip is not very kid friendly
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

First congrats on eloping! I can totally relate-my FI is 45 and I am 31, both been married before. He has a 10 and 17 yr old and we are planning on eloping too! Original plan was January  but we have moved it back to August due to schedule. So I can totally relate. Several things I have figured out. Chapel of the Flowers has the chapel/normal wedding look if you wanted. We were originally planning there but budget increased so we can do something more unique. Just an option if you wanted/needed the chapel experience.

Vegas is fun!!! We are planning on bringing FI's children with us so Vegas can be family friendly. Many people will disagree but know the strip after dark can be a bit not so family friendly. Granted, your daughter is 17 so she wouldn't be shocked at it all (we are bringing a 10 year old so need to be mindful of that) There are a ton of family stuff to do but it takes a bit of research. We are doing indoor skydiving, a show, etc so it will be planned out. We are staying off the strip renting a fabulous house for the price of a hotel suite on the strip. We wanted access to a pool, our own space as well as keeping a 17 year old boy away from the strip! Plus it keeps the 10 year old away from it all. We are also looking at a place called exotic racing with expensive cars that FI can drive around a track (not sure if your FI likes cars but can drive a lambourghi  or ferrari-just an idea if want to make your FI's day if this is something he would like). There is gameworks, lots of shopping and more. Look at tripadvisor and type in attractions in Las Vegas. There are great reviews and many discuss whether they did it as a family, etc. Oh and there is the roller coaster in NY NY that we plan to do in our wedding dress, suit, etc. NY NY has an arcade too. Tripadvisor though has given me some fabulous ideas for our family vacation. 

Since you want lots of pics, Todd sounds the best way and a strip tour comes highly recommended here on the knot. I have seen several brides do 2 hours with approx 3 stops or more. 4 hours may seem to drag a bit and may make you a bit exhausted-imo. We plan to do this as well but we will probably book him for pics getting ready, pictures after ceremony and then strip tour.

Can't wait to hear more of your planning!!
  • Options
    lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very cool, a Pogo.com couple!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_eloping-vegas-looking-suggestionscomments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:a4710501-b3a7-4036-b648-f3cd5bae5ab7Post:6e78de4b-b40f-47b6-84e3-5f7900838c77">Re: Eloping to Vegas - looking for suggestions/comments</a>:
    [QUOTE]Very cool, a Pogo.com couple!
    Posted by lsvensson[/QUOTE]

That's the first thing I said :)  My FI and I are playing Scrabble on pogo as we speak.  Haha!

OP - Welcome and congrats!  I also recommend Frommer's or a Zagat guide.  There are lots of amazing steakhouses in Vegas for every budget.  My favorites are Delmonico (in Venetian) and Craftsteak (in MGM), but Smith & Wollensky's and Ruth Chris's also get rave reviews.

Do you want to stay on the strip or off?  What's your budget for hotel per night?  Mandalay Bay has a great wave pool, but it's a more expensive hotel.  MGM's rooms are cheaper and they have like 12 pools, a lion habitat, and some other random stuff to do.  Good luck!
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_eloping-vegas-looking-suggestionscomments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:a4710501-b3a7-4036-b648-f3cd5bae5ab7Post:90a78fbf-41d4-47f7-a301-6cd9f3f99864">Re: Eloping to Vegas - looking for suggestions/comments</a>:
    [QUOTE]The strip is not very kid friendly
    Posted by AJF021410[/QUOTE]

Unless said 17 year old looks 21....
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards