Nevada-Las Vegas

Cake Reviews from Scouting Trip (long)

I went to 5 Vegas bakers, to be honest I tried so many cake combos I can't give reviews on every single flavor, but I will give my overall take on the bakers/flavors.

Las Vegas Custom Cakes
- As seen on TLC's Fabulous Cakes.  I don't think many brides have used this vendor as they are relatively new etc., but this was my first cake stop.  Yamilet was very nice and we clicked right away.  Her cake was very moist, the red velvet actually held together, the cream cheese frosting wasn't too strong, the mousses were very good and light, and the buttercreams were also very good-not too heavy.  My favorite was the spice cake w/cream cheese mousse filling and white buttercream.  I also loved the chocolate w/chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream.  The red velvet was really good as well.

Freeds - I met with Jayme who was nice, but you can tell the store is very busy.  My cake concept is to do a surprise grooms type cake from my FI, that's it, no traditional wedding cake.  She basically said that she thought I should do a small grooms cake with some of my ideas, but then do a cake for me as well.  Which totally wasn't what I wanted, I didn't say much though cause at that point I was basically ready to go.  The cake and fillings were just ok, nothing stood out to me.  I actually didn't really like the 50/50 frosting.  The day I was flying home she left me a voicemail saying what it would cost to do the originaly grooms cake I wanted.  Too late at that point.  And she didn't give me a sketch even though I sent pictures the week prior.

Azea Cake Studio
- Aracelli was very nice, we had clicked right away as well.  Before I planned on doing a scouting trip she was the one I was leaning towards.  I really liked her sketch and I had heard her cakes were very moist and sophisticated in flavor.  It did cost $20 for the tasting, which would go towards your cake order.  I also wanted to try a Bailey's Mousse filling which cost another $10 since it wasn't part of the flavors she normally uses for the tastings.  Her cake was very moist, the buttercreams were great, and I can see her doing very well in the future.

LV Cake Designs
- Dawn and her sister were very nice.  You do have to buy 6 inch cakes for the tastings, which I wanted to try 4 so it was $28 total.  The cakes were way to big for me to eat all of it obviously, so I gave most of it to the Bell Desk at the hotel, who was happy to take it.  The sketch was ok, but it seemed a little more kid like than what I was going over.  The frostings leaned towards grocery store type frostings, little too heavy for me.  The Cream Cheese frosting was way to rich and heavy.  My favorite was the chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling as well as the Oreo filling.

Caked
- Also as seen on TLCs Fabulous Cakes.  Carolyn was very nice, I mixed up the times and ended up being a half hour late, but she had no worries.  Her sketch was good and she had a couple ideas I didn't even think of.  Overall the cake was just ok, some a little dry, the chocolate mousse was on the bitter side, not light and fluffy which is what we like.  She would be a very easy vendor to deal with though, and had some great design ideas.

Prices - Part of your cake price is going to depend on your design, for my design the prices were as follows to feed about 50 people.  I am posting the prices as it may be helpful for those who can't do a scouting trip, but again just get quotes for your cake to compare.

LV CakeDesigns - $395
Las Vegas Custom Cakes - $465
Caked - $490
Freeds - About $620
Azea - $700-$800

All the prices included delivery.  The winner for me is Las Vegas Custom Cakes, I loved the cake, loved the sketch and the price was great.  She sent me the sketch just the other day, and I cannot wait for this cake and to surpise FI with.  The design is of all FI's favorite things, see bio for explanation of everything if you want to see.  Here it is!

Re: Cake Reviews from Scouting Trip (long)

• Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • tlj25tlj25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks Sara, your reviews are soooooo helpful.

• edited December 2011
    Very helpful reviews! Thank you so much! :D

My FI's co-worker used Las Vegas Custom Cakes, so I am definitely planning on contacting them.
    Planning Bio

Dan + Amanda

Wedding Countdown Ticker

To be loved, be lovable
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Sarah - how many guests are you having?

Can't wait to see pics of the final cake!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@tlj25 - HTH, just want to share as much info to others as I can:)

@mandapat21 - No problem, and good to hear your FI knows someone that had a good experience as well!  I'd definitely contact them!

@red - We are expecting 40-50 people. I can't wait to see the final product as well:)

• edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for these very helpful reviews!  I am a MOH helping a bride plan a cake for about 40 people, and we were hoping to find something under $250.  Does anyone have any suggestions for cake vendors who might be more budget-friendly for a simple cake?
  • GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Brilliant reviews Sara! We are going with LV Cake Designs -- I am sad that I won;t be able to do a taste test, but she did this cake for another Knottie and I have seen photos of it, so hopefully it will not look to different to what I am expecting!

Also, I cannot believe how much the prices differ between bakeries...!
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards