Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Tipping etiquette for business owners

Recntly heard that you don't tip the business owners?? Optional of course but would it be a big faux paux not to tip them? What did you do? Like baker, photographer? This is a post and run be back.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tipping etiquette for business owners

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I tipped Lori for hair and make up. I didn't tip the baker or the delivery person bc there was a delivery charge. I didn't tip MC bc gratuity was included. I highly doubt my dad tipped Todd either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to admit I just read about that in another thread and I had no idea. Embarassed
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of tipping the photographer or the baker. Definitely the hair and makeup person though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wenawinterwenawinter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard about tipping the photographer and DJ, but not cake people. And I will most definitely tip the hair & makeup people!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only vendor we've hired that is their own biz is Mike L photography.  I feel like we got a pretty good deal from them so I plan to tip them, how much will depend on how I feel the day went.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So the idea behind it is really that if they own their own business they get all of the proceeds of the sale, is that right?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yes, I have heard generally the photographer does not get a tip. But everyone is different and I'm sure no one would turn a tip down :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    pebbs_17pebbs_17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Previous knotties said that Todd wouldn't accept a tip.  I'm not sure if he does now or not..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_tipping-etiquette-business-owners?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:b96dc1c3-680b-47f0-ad0f-c5152d368ba9Post:b15271b3-ef33-4141-88a7-ee6635a7521f">Re: Tipping etiquette for business owners</a>:
    [QUOTE]So the idea behind it is really that if they own their own business they get all of the proceeds of the sale, is that right?
    Posted by ebonyivory10[/QUOTE]

Correct; if you're working for someone else, then the bulk of the 'sale' probably goes to the company and only a small portion makes it back to the person providing the service or they're on salary so they're just 'there to work', so in either case a tip can go a long way since it's pure bonus for them.

A business owner who's selling you a service and doing the work themselves, if they have any business sense, should already be pricing their service at the point that maximizes their profit margins; i.e. if I can sell photography for $2500 per event and get one client every two weeks, no reason to lower my price to $1000 and get one client every week because I'd be making less money overall and working twice as much.  So unless the're just bad in business, they should already be making a good profit on what they've sold you and a tip is not necessarily warranted unless you really feel like you want to reward them.

• Options
    11Vegas711Vegas7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok...so I never thought of the photographer!  Is there anyone that DID tip the photographer and how much?!?!  Ahhh!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As long as they do a good job I plan to tip the photogs (2) probably $100/each at the end of the night so they hook me up right on the photo cd lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards