Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

NWR: I'm pissed.

Sorry if I go off the rocker right now, but...

I get home from work today to find a letter from our apartment complex, informing me that they will be raising our rent by SIX HUNDRED M.F.-ING DOLLARS PER MONTH to...get this...$2775/month for our 640 sq ft. apartment.

Please excuse me while I go flame the sh!t out of them on Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, and any other social network I can find.  And if anyone wants to know: it's Archstone Apartments.  If they're in your area, stay far, far away.

Re: NWR: I'm pissed.

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Uh, holy crap!! And I thought Aspen was expensive! How on earth can they justify that huge of an increase??
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Surprisedsweet christmas baby jesus that a LOT a money!  that sucks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm so sorry they raised the rent on you. I hope you figure something out!

Direy: You are in Aspen?? I love it there!!... have you ever been over Independence Pass to Leadville?? I lived there for 8 years.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Holy crap! Isn't there laws there about how much they can raise the rent for current residents who renew their lease??.
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's some bull****.  I didn't think that was legal.  We were totally going to look at an Archstone apartment.  Guess I'll be crossing that off the list. 

My mortgage in Philly isn't even as much as my rent in LA.  Housing prices out here are ridiculous!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_nwr-im-pissed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ba55dd11-d952-46af-b9d6-07c7800ffaaePost:4ee29848-1105-4cfc-b08b-533109bdeb03">Re: NWR: I'm pissed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy crap! Isn't there laws there about how much they can raise the rent for current residents who renew their lease??.
    Posted by AJF021410[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I asked about that.  Apparently in San Francisco, if your building is built after 1979 you're ineligible to be protected by rent stabilization laws. :(

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_nwr-im-pissed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ba55dd11-d952-46af-b9d6-07c7800ffaaePost:c139cf4a-055f-4d89-9ea1-62ba7cc21943">Re: NWR: I'm pissed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: I'm pissed. : I asked about that.  Apparently in San Francisco, if your building is built after 1979 you're ineligible to be protected by rent stabilization laws. :(
    Posted by lsvensson[/QUOTE]

I am not sure that is correct, because there are state laws about it.  I deal with that a lot down here.  LA landlords are very shady.  Check out this site:

<a href="http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/living-in.shtml">http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/living-in.shtml</a>

I had problems with my security deposit and Archstone when I lived in Florida.  Best of luck to you!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_nwr-im-pissed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:ba55dd11-d952-46af-b9d6-07c7800ffaaePost:28e6c27a-b217-47e2-b0bc-dc79e51ce9fc">Re: NWR: I'm pissed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so sorry they raised the rent on you. I hope you figure something out! Direy: You are in Aspen?? I love it there!!... have you ever been over Independence Pass to Leadville?? I lived there for 8 years.
    Posted by CamilleJon[/QUOTE]

Wow, small world! I've definitely made that drive... We're actually in Snowmass Village... We were all actually surprised that they opened Indy pass as early as they did this year, there's still a TON of snow up there...
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    MeatAuditorMeatAuditor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wanna move to Vegas where you can buy a house for $900/month?

That was sarcastic.  We have our own problems.  Affordable houses are not one of them.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Holy CRAP.  Can you move out?  I'm sure you'd have some sort of penalty, but is it less than the ridiculous $600/mo increase?

That just blows my freaking mind.

I think a bottle of wine is in order!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thank cant be legal, and if so, they probably need to give you adaquate notice. thats a lot of money. id have to move because an EXTRA $600 would mean I dont eat or have electricity
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_nwr-im-pissed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ba55dd11-d952-46af-b9d6-07c7800ffaaePost:94d806d1-2d7c-449a-a168-06e9917e85f6">Re: NWR: I'm pissed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: I'm pissed. : Wow, small world! I've definitely made that drive... We're actually in Snowmass Village... We were all actually surprised that they opened Indy pass as early as they did this year, there's still a TON of snow up there...
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

Last time I was in Aspen was about 3 years ago and there was a big black bear up in a tree in the park across the street from McDonalds. It was awesome! Except when the park ranger had to shoot him with a tranquilizer gun to get him down... that was sad.

I love eating at The Red Onion :)

ETA: sorry to thread-jack, LSV
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    That is too expensive! And I thought our tiny little $2200 apartment in Japan was expensive! That is too much. Move out! 
  • Options
    pebbs_17pebbs_17 member
    edited December 2011
    OMG!! That's crazy!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_nwr-im-pissed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ba55dd11-d952-46af-b9d6-07c7800ffaaePost:f0ced422-8355-4178-8e35-57b3432583d0">Re: NWR: I'm pissed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: I'm pissed. : I am not sure that is correct, because there are state laws about it.  I deal with that a lot down here.  LA landlords are very shady.  Check out this site: <a href="http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/living-in.shtml" rel='nofollow'>http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/living-in.shtml</a> I had problems with my security deposit and Archstone when I lived in Florida.  Best of luck to you!
    Posted by queenklm33[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I did check that out-- and, to their credit, they are giving me (almost) 60 days' notice.  It just boggled my mind that they can raise my rent that dramatically, even with the decent lead/notice time. </div><div>
    </div><div>As a wedding-related side effect, I realized I can't really even send out my STDs now until we're in a new apartment and have an updated return address.  Ugh.  Thanks, gals, for being my sounding board and letting me complain.  This is depressing.

</div>
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_nwr-im-pissed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ba55dd11-d952-46af-b9d6-07c7800ffaaePost:31f06d49-9462-4b51-a7e2-5aceeaa13805">Re: NWR: I'm pissed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Holy CRAP.  Can you move out?  I'm sure you'd have some sort of penalty, but is it less than the ridiculous $600/mo increase? That just blows my freaking mind. <strong>I think a bottle of wine is in order!</strong>
    Posted by nycheryl[/QUOTE]

<div>Amen to that, sister!</div>
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_nwr-im-pissed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:ba55dd11-d952-46af-b9d6-07c7800ffaaePost:99822998-90c1-420e-ad7c-d31dc5490833">Re: NWR: I'm pissed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: I'm pissed. : Last time I was in Aspen was about 3 years ago and there was a big black bear up in a tree in the park across the street from McDonalds. It was awesome! Except when the park ranger had to shoot him with a tranquilizer gun to get him down... that was sad. I love eating at The Red Onion :) ETA: sorry to thread-jack, LSV
    Posted by CamilleJon[/QUOTE]

I always feel bad for the bears... If it's been three years, then the current Red Onion isn't what youd remember... The original shut down, was vacant for quite some time, then a new company took it over so it's completely different. All the old, fun, kind of "dive" places are disappearing. It's a little depressing... And ditto, sorry for the threadjack lsvensson...
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_nwr-im-pissed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ba55dd11-d952-46af-b9d6-07c7800ffaaePost:cc9ac9a2-a60b-48a1-8331-a487095a044d">Re: NWR: I'm pissed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: I'm pissed. : I always feel bad for the bears... If it's been three years, then the current Red Onion isn't what youd remember... The original shut down, was vacant for quite some time, then a new company took it over so it's completely different. <strong>All the old, fun, kind of "dive" places are disappearing. It's a little depressing.</strong>.. And ditto, sorry for the threadjack lsvensson...
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

That is happening all over Colorado :(  Leadville has managed to keep some of it's old school charm, tho. If you are ever there stop in the Silver Dollar Saloon, that place is awesome, and there are gun shots in the wall that Doc Holiday suppossedly left there. The place hasn't changed since the 1800s, it's like walking into an old Western film.
  • Options
    Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if rent is like this, but I work in insurance, and depending on the state we have to give notice even if premium is going up a dollar (I work in commercial lines, not personal).  There is however a certain max percentage it can go up legally.

But again, every state laws are different, if your lanlord is part of a big company, I'm sure they know what they're doing.  Companies do make mistakes though, but 60 days notice sounds like the standard.

Good luck though, that really blows big time!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha, no worries on the threadjack direy and CJ! We need some lighter conversation here to balance out my rage. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's shady as hell! $600 increase is just insane! I'm sorry :(

I was mad when our rent went up $60 a month ... ten times that I would have lost my sh*t.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG! Thats ridiculous. How do they expect people to just come up with an extra 600/month? That so sucks. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I lived in an Archstone property when I first moved to CA, after my first year of paying $1000 an month for my tiny 1 bd, they raised my rent to $1350. I almost had a heart attack. I paid $699 for a gianormous apartment in Chicago. I ran to another apartment complex who also did the same.
    Luckily at that point, I moved in with Ben and now we only pay $1699, for our 3bd 2ba detached apt with a yard. Only reason it's this cheap is he's been living here for 12 years or so. CA sucks when it come to rent and housing and the like. I will be happy when we move to Vegas.

Hope you can find some solution.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Archstone blows sorry hope you can find something soon.
    Fuuck your feelings
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards