Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Help when all guests are flying in

My fiance and I just got engaged last week. We live here in Vegas and are having the wedding here. Our families are from the central time zone, and the entire wedding party lives out of state. It's my first wedding, and I am not really familiar with them in general. How does one go about planning a wedding when everyone has to fly to the venue? What specifically should I be doing differently that the wedding books aren't telling me?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help when all guests are flying in

• Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think all of us have guests that are flying into the destination.  Plan it like you would any other wedding.  Pick a date, invite people, show up.  It'll work out.

Oh, and it's my first wedding too and I wasn't familiar either having attended only abut 7 weddings in my life, but I'm somehow getting through.

Is your wedding soon?
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't really need to do anything special for planning in relation to your guests flying in; the nice thing to do though is to block off rooms somewhere so guests who wait too long to book still have an option.  Also a good idea is to avoid having it on the same weekend as a few of the Vegas mega-conferences that happen each year; if possible.  Other than that, unless they've never left their home town, most guests will figure out how to get to where you tell them to be on the right date and time.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would say to definitely try to send 'save the dates' if your wedding date is far enough out (at least 6 months) so they have as much time as possible to save money, get time off work, and make travel arrangements. Definitely try to book hotel blocks at a few different hotels- ones with different prices, as some people won't mind shelling out for a nice room and others willbe looking for the best deal possible. Have fun with your planning!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is a year and a half away. The entire wedding party is flying in, too. I don't know what we're supposed to do about tuxes and dresses. I'm guessing they'll all just have to bring their own on the plane. These kind of issues don't crop up in the books I read. I'm really lost. For instance, my mom is making my dress, but since we live so far apart, I'll only have one fitting before the wedding when she visits me in the spring, and she might not even have it ready by then.

When it comes to booking a block of rooms, what am I expected to pay upfront? That's not in my budget.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't pay anything for a block of rooms, it is basically just a set of the rooms that the hotel sets a special rate for so that all your guests pay the same. You are not responsible for payment, your guests are.

I would suggest setting up a wedding website with tons of information about travel, accomodations, entertainment, etc for your guests.

I would send out 'Save the Dates' about 10 months prior, as well.

Congrats and welcome!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay, something I don't have to pay for! I will be including the website address for the wedding info from this site with my invitations and save the dates. I started the website last night, but not even my date has been decided, so I really didn't get to include much. It's so great that The Knot lets us publish a website about our weddings so easily.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On the clothing front - you can rent tuxes in Vegas from a place like Men's Warehouse.  Your BP can get fitted if they have a Men's Warehouse in their hometown, and you can rent using those measurements.  Or they can bring their own and have them steamed once they arrive.

You can have the dresses steamed at most hotels, but the vast majority of people here go to Debi from Fit For A Bride.  She will even pick up the clothes at your hotel, steam them, and return!  All the reviews say she's totally worth it.

Also, I had a website on theknot, but found weebly.com (also free) to be much more user-friendly, and we have a shorter domain name to write out on stuff!

Okay, what else is on your list of concerns? :)
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a little confused by your post.  For many brides, who don't do DWs, they still have guests that fly in.  If I was being married where I live, we would still have WP members who would have to fly with dresses and tuxes or rent locally.  The fact that you actually LIVE in a DW location, should make things easier for you as opposed to the bride who lives in the Middle of Nowhere, Iowa.

Many people in other places do a hotel room block but since you are in Vegas a block may not even be necessary.

Your wedding will actually be more like a tradtional at home wedding for you since you live in Vegas.  You are close to all your vendors and luckily you live in a town with lots of vendors.

Try to not to worry so much.  Your friends and family will EXPECT to come to Vegas for your wedding since you live there.  Whereas for the rest of us who don't, the location might be a surprise to guests.  Save the dates aren't even necessary.  If you can't afford them, don't do them.  You'll be okay.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards