Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony and Reception Location the same...

I am thinking about having a friend perform the ceremony in the same location as the reception will take place. Is that tacky? The location has a dance floor in the middle with a stage where I could have everyone seated on each side, create an isle and than get married on stage. After the ceremony the isle runner would be removed and the head table placed on stage... Its a huge money saver on a small budget, but I'm nervous about it. Has anyone seen this done. Any pointers, tips, or advice?

Re: Ceremony and Reception Location the same...

• Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I am doing something similar. The room will be fully set up on one side. There is a curtain kind of fake wall so when you walk in you will only see chairs set up in rows with an aisle in the middle. (the fake wall/partition blends in) There will be an asile runner and pillars with flowers so it will look ceremony ready. After the ceremony we will go into the lobby/foyer for cocktails and hors d'ouvres. Then after 45min-1 hour we will return to the main room which will be ready. (the move the tables over and arrange the chairs properly...etc

That's one way.

I have also seen it where the person gets married while everyone is seated at their tables.

It's fine. I don't see how it could be tacky.
  • Options
    We are doing the same thing.  The room will be set up chapel style for the ceremony (all tables removed from the room).  Then we will go to the lobby and they will set up the room for the reception.  They have their entire staff there so it only takes 15 minutes to flip the room.  I'm nervous but I think it will work out fine.
  • Options
    If guests are seated at tables, just make sure you do not have tall centerpieces to block views. Otherwise, if it saves you money, go for it. How long is your ceremony going to be?
  • Options
    vexievexie member
    First Comment
    We're having our ceremony and reception at the same venue too.  It's an old church that's been converted into a restaurant.  It will be set up for the ceremony, then when eveyone moves outside for the cocktail party the crew will set up the tables etc for dinner.  It sure saves a lot of hassle for out of town guests who don't know the area... and makes the day/evening flow a lot better as there's no lag time between any parts of the wedding.
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    Gee I sure hope people don't consider that tacky... that is what I might be doing if it rains on my wedding day!

My best friend got married inside and had everyone sitting at the reception tables (chairs weren't moved into rows) even though it was a fairly formal affair. It didn't take away from the overalll effect at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am thinking that the ceremony will be about 15-20 minutes. And the guest will be seated at the tables not in rows, which I would prefer but there's not a place to send the guest to rearrainge the site. I am glad to hear that this is common, cause it's definatly going to save money. I want it to be formal and my centerpieces are low, so that shouldn't be a problem. Should I provide appetizers, so we can leave an take pictures at the near by park, because the outside of the location is kind of ugly.
  • Options
    vexievexie member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-reception-location-same?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:14eb269e-af93-4592-911f-22c47ae7ae0bPost:b565287e-2494-49b6-9fd2-c4869debb0e5">Re: Ceremony and Reception Location the same...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am thinking that the ceremony will be about 15-20 minutes. And the guest will be seated at the tables not in rows, which I would prefer but there's not a place to send the guest to rearrainge the site. I am glad to hear that this is common, cause it's definatly going to save money. I want it to be formal and my centerpieces are low, so that shouldn't be a problem. <strong>Should I provide appetizers, so we can leave an take pictures at the near by park, because the outside of the location is kind of ugly.
    </strong>Posted by mbutucel[/QUOTE]

Yes :)   Host a cocktail party with drinks and appetizers while you are away.  You might also want to consider having your pictures (or at least the bulk of them) taken before the ceremony so there isn't a long wait tilme between ceremony and reception.  This is another common practice when you're having just one venue.   More than 1-1 1/2 hours between ceremony and reception with no where to go will make for some very bored guests.
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We had everyone at their tables for ours.  Worked well.  We paid attention to who was assigned what tables to make usre our parents were close and that the readers had easy access to the podium.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

We're doing one better: ceremony, reception, and hotel are the same venue (majority of guests are OOT and this was teh best option for them). 

I have been wondering what to do after the ceremony but before the reception

@ vexie I love the idea of the majority of the pics done beforehand.  I'll have to see if our timeline will work with that.  excellent idea :)

"What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined...to strengthen each other... to be one with each other in silent, unspeakable memories." -George Eliot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards