Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

DIY Flowers or splurge??

I already will be spending money on flowers for wedding party and parents through Caesars ... but for the reception I will need about 15 centerpieces.  I got a deal at IKEA on vases (1.99)  and I was thinking Hydangeas.  If I have them shipped in and do it myself its about 200 bucks ... but if I get it done I'm looking at 450 dollars.  What would you do?? 

A

Re: DIY Flowers or splurge??

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We saved a ton of money by DIY centerpieces. I honestly don't remember a single centerpiece from any wedding I've ever been to so we didn't want to spend a bunch of money on them. But for us it was easy because we have family in Vegas who could help out, store the stuff, etc. If it would have only saved us $250, I probably would have just had them done professionally...
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered making your own paper flowers?  Cheap to make if you've got the patience/time.

Origami Hydrangeas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZoEfYd_a04

I'm thinking about doing this for our centerpieces...
  • Options
    GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Direy - on the day you don't even notice those details. I was getting quotes for elaborate flower arrangements coming in at $500+ -- in the end I spent $50 on having some rose petals shipped to our venue for them to sprinkle on the tables. I am so glad I didn't spend too much on it in the end.

Saying that, if you do go down the DIY route will your venue be happy to put the flowers in vases themselves? Or will you have to make time on the day to go up there and organise it all?
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
  • Options
    MizLynnMizLynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought about going down that route myself, but I ultimately decided against it for two big reasons:

1. I'll be busy enough running around that day. And the logistics of storing the flowers, getting them to the venue, setting up etc was just a nightmare (and I have family in Vegas)

2. I've heard that hydrangeas are very thirsty and can be fragile, so back to logisitcal nightmare. I decided to just take my budget to a florist and ask what she could do with it. I'm very happy with the budget friendly options she gave me. 

If you're dead-set on having hydrangeas, I would leave it to the pros because I hear they're not easy to work with. Otherwise, see if you can find the look you're going for with different, less expensive flowers or maybe even try silks so that it's not as big a deal transporting etc.

HTH 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with prior posters about the time part. The day of is super hectic and trying to get that all done will be more trouble than its worth.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be really difficult to order and arrange flowers in your hotel room and then have them delivered to your reception site. If you want to diy I would go with candles or paper flowers. This is just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agree with what everyone else is saying- the day of you don't really notice the details.. however since your'e asking DIY or slurge I'm all for DIY. You have bridesmaids or at least a MOH right? Make them in charge of setting up the centerpieces at the wedding!

A second though- if you MUST have hydrangeas.. do what I did. For all the other centerpieces around the room I had a vase with a pretty candle, then some silk rose petals. For my table though, I ordered a real arrangement since I was set on having real flowers at my wedding! It saved a ton of money only having one arrangement and the candle arrangements were still cute.
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd think about the logistics.  Will you ship the vases to the hotel?  How much will that be (including any charges the hotel has for receiving packages)?  What if you have breakage? Where will you assemble the centerpieces?  How will you transport them to the venue?  For a hot minute, I considered DIY and then it just turned into a nightmare logistically.  I am paying $35 per centerpiece and calling it a day.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

We had DIY centerpieces and they were great.  Not sure how your guests are but my guests noticed everything and they loved our centerpieces.  Basically they were tiered clear vases with pebbles and a flower, with a floating candle at the top.  I actually had time to put them out the day of the wedding, we did it early but I also put time in my schedule to do it because no one else was going to do it the way I wanted them layed out.

So if you're going to do it do something simple.  Our 13 centerpieces cost $40 and everyone loved them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards