Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Should we do a room block??

I'm looking into room blocks at some of the places we're considering for our ceremony and I just got to thinking, should we even do this. 

Did you do room blocks for your guests?

We're having the ceremony and reception in 2 different spaces, so which hotel would we need to block the rooms in?  Does it even matter?

I kinda don't care where my guests stay, and I think they may either go by price or by preference since they've all (mostly) been to Vegas plenty of times in the past.

What did you guys do?

Re: Should we do a room block??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're not doing a room block. I felt since everyone has their own budget and preferences that people could just stay where they wanted to. Guests may want to stay near wherever you are staying though.  On the flip side, if a room block will save your guests a ton of money, I say go for it.  I think Lndsy got a really sweet deal at The Orleans, and I think they have a shuttle to the strip.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    stacymichstacymich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally didn't see a reason NOT to do a room block. There isn't any stipulations on it and it gives your guests the option of staying there. We got a block at Mandalay Bay and got really reasonable rates. Most of our guests are booking there. If people don't decide to use that hotel then no big deal, I think its worth seeing how much of a discount you will get.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't.  Unless you can get a really good deal (better than they could find through smartervegas.com or Priceline or something), I wouldn't worry about it.  Our website simply indicated which hotels were in walking distance, and then pointed out a couple of resources for finding the best deal.  Our wedding was at MB; I'd say about half of our guests were at Excalibur, and the others were scattered around at various other hotels.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did not do one because we did not want to be locked into paying for unused rooms and most of the time you can find better deals on the web sites pp's have suggested.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!!

We wont do one I don't think.

We'll just put website suggestions on our wedding website for folks to use.  And we'll figure out where we will stay and then let people know in case they want to be nearby.

:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did one since they would just be released 30 days prior to the wedding if they weren't used but no one used them since they found better rates through smartervegas.com.  I would just email out when a really good deal came along and people booked what they were comfortable with.

One advantage of booking through a hotel with a promo code over the travel sites is you only have to pay for one night as a deposit versus the entire stay that you are booking and most have a 24-48 hour cancellation policy.  If people are shopping the best deals that may be a way to go. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are but it's for entirely selfish reasons, the closer they are the easier it will be to pick them up and drop them off after the days event. I am blocking rooms but I'm not responsible for them, if they don't book those rooms they get released 30 days before the event. Just like mhoneybee above.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't planning on it, because half our guests are Vegas regulars.  But a lot of our family have indicated that want to stay in the same hotel we are at.  And we got a better rate through Harrah's Total Experience than I could have imagined.  So it was a win-win.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we did not....we wanted to allow our guests the opportunity to stay at hotels that fit their budget.

I've got guests staying at circus circus cuz they have young kids, people staying at MGM cuz that's the ONLY place they'll stay at, some at the mirage cuz they got a good deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We aren't.  Our guests are pretty internet savy, plus there are tons of deals in Vegas right now!  We did use MB's travel conceirge, The Travel Company for those guests who wanted help booking their travel. 
  • Options
    kdj2011kdj2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Futuremrs....how was MB's Total Experience?  Did anyone tell you how they were to deal with?  Just wondering if it would be a good idea to use them myself. 
  • Options
    tlj25tlj25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was just talking about this the other day, and Treasure Island has been a huge pain in the a** to deal with. Sales manager was rude and condescending to my FI re: room blocks. We are awaiting for them to send over the proposal, but I highly doubt we will end up setting it up now that they want us to be responsible for 50% of unbooked rooms. RIDIC.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards