Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

logistics about reception dinner and post reception drinks at a lounge

we are getting married at Mandalay Bay and our reception is going to be at Nobu in the Hard Rock Hotel.

I am trying to figure out where to go after dinner - i'd love a lounge that is laid back and has a great view of the city but i'm also wondering if i should pick something close to Hard Rock so that we're all not trekking up and down the strip 3 or 4 times.

I assumed we would stay at the MB but haven't actually booked anything yet.

suggestions???  where to lounge, where to stay, should i be concerned about keeping things in the same place??

Re: logistics about reception dinner and post reception drinks at a lounge

• Options
    edited December 2011
    How many people will be there, what day of the week, what time is ceremony vs reception and what time of year?

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    joyfultodayjoyfultoday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    25-30 people.
    Sunday night
    Wedding at 3:00
    Dinner at 5:30
    November

thanks in advance.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm definitely a proponent of doing everything in the same resort simply because transportation can be really difficult if the transportation itself is not a part of the festivities.  For example, some people do a double decker bus tour of the strip after the ceremony and then it drops them off at the reception, so that solves the transportation issue as part of a normal activity. 

If you're just going to get married at MB and then need to move possibly up to 30 people to Hard Rock, you're going to have to coordinate several limos and get everyone to them.  I'd allow an hour as a minimum to move everyone since there's the time getting from the chapel to the limo, loading/unloading, etc.  If you're going to do wedding party pics afterward you'll need to coordinate those people being moved, etc.  It can start to be a pain worrying about all of this when you're trying to focus on the wedding/marriage.

Will the restaurant have something for people to do or places to sit prior to dinner time?  I figure you'll end up having most of the people there by 4:45 so they'll have not enough time to go do something else but too much time to stand around.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i had no idea i was responsible to transporting people!  i thought that with more than an hour to spare, people would just find their way over themselves.  sonofabitch.  ;)

My FI keeps laughing at me everytime i tell him there's something new to figure out.  he's going to love this one!  

the double decker bus sounds like a good option.  less likely to lose anyone along the way.  ;)

i think we're going to be staying at the four season which means we'll be heading back to the MB at the end of the night too.
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't HAVE to provide transportation; it's simply a nice gesture.  However, if your guests are paying for their own transpo over to the Hard Rock, the least you can do is have the after party there.

There isn't enough time for a DD tour after your ceremony and before your dinner unless you push your dinner back an hour or so.  They have a minimum 2 hour rental so you could do a 3:30 or 3:45 pick up at the MB, 2 hour tour and then dinner at 6 or 6:30.  Then your guests only need to worry about transport back at the end of the night. 

Cabs can get pricey so you want to minimize the required travel as much as possible.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Isn't Hard Rock right across the street from MB?

ETA: NOPE! i just looked at a mapEmbarassed
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oops, yeah you of course don't have to pay for the transport, but they may not stay at MB or Hard Rock so that could end up being a lot of cab rides that can add up pretty quick and make people grumpy.  I'm sure everyone's different but another thing that sprung to mind is that I don't like riding around in cabs when I'm all dressed up for a formal event.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks guys.  i spoke to FI and he said we'd just do limos.  and he also suggested that we'll just go to one of the Hard Rock bars after dinner and have the limos on call to take people home as needed.

i think that makes the most sense.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Joy,
    Unless you are booking the limos for the duration of the night, I do not believe you can have them "on call" for whenever guests are ready to go.  Do you plan to hire a couple limos for 6 hours (from the ride from the MB to the HR) until some time later in the night?

I think if you give people a ride from the MB to the HR, they will probably be okay with the cab ride back.  Some guests may opt to stay at the HR.  Are you room blocking?
    Bi-oh-rama

"smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    <div>yes the plan is to rent the limos for entire evening so that people can go back to the MB as they wish.  mainly I'm concerned with my sister and parents who will be taking all our kids back after dinner.  </div><div>
    </div><div>but i think my FI would prefer to have limos available for anyone who needs a ride to their hotel.  i haven't discussed blocking rooms yet.</div><div>
    </div><div>we're not actually staying at MB, we're staying at the four seasons and we've booked my sister, parents, kids there as well.  i imagine our other guests will want to stay wherever they find a good deal.  i don't want people to feel pressured to stay at the MB because of us...</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_logistics-reception-dinner-post-reception-drinks-lounge?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:e632e494-d75c-4f3a-89c6-079dc3c162cdPost:95931443-1249-425b-a701-3a56de78f782">Re: logistics about reception dinner and post reception drinks at a lounge</a>:
    [QUOTE]Joy, Unless you are booking the limos for the duration of the night, I do not believe you can have them "on call" for whenever guests are ready to go.  Do you plan to hire a couple limos for 6 hours (from the ride from the MB to the HR) until some time later in the night? I think if you give people a ride from the MB to the HR, they will probably be okay with the cab ride back.  Some guests may opt to stay at the HR.  Are you room blocking?
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who is going to manage the logistics of the limos for the evening?  You'll need a point person to know where they are and when the next one might be coming back to pick up someone.  Also, the guests will need someone to go to advise that they are ready to go home and make arrangements.  Will you advise your guests that limo service back to the MB will be provided until X time and after that they are on their own?  I think this could be a logistics nightmare for you.

I think you provide a limo ride back to the hotel for the after dinner rides but cut it off there. I just foresee someone being in charge of this and probably not happy about managing rides instead of having fun.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah i see your point about logistics.

in the past when we've done it, we've had smaller parties and everyone had a limo assigned to them so they had the drivers number and once they were dropped off at home, the limo was done for the night.

this is more complicated because it's 30 people.

perhaps we'll just do the MB to HR and keep one limo to transport my sis and kids back after dinner.  

thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards