North Carolina
Options

AW: Wedding Bands (long)

We ordered FI's wedding band yesterday! I didn't even think about taking a pic but I've posted about it in my blog before and it should be here in a few weeks. It looks so good on him :-)

I just can't decide on mine. My choices are...to get a straight band (I have picked one out that I like) and have a gap between my band and E-ring, get a contoured band (I'm having one resized to see what it will look like if it's not 3 sizes too big...but I'm not very fond of a contoured band on my finger) and have a slightly smaller gap between my rings or do get a custom band that will cost about 4 times more than either of these options and not have a gap...but the gap will be filled in with metal so I wouldn't be able to wear my wedding band by itself if I needed to.

The gap probably wouldn't bother most people but I'm slightly OCD when it comes to things like this. I'm usually not this difficult but I'm going to be wearing these rings for the rest of my life. I would hate for FI to spend all that extra money to have a custom band made just to find out I don't like the custom band any more than the other, much cheaper, bands.

Just the wax mold for the band is $400 so that's the minimum amount it would cost to see what the custom band looks like.

UGH...so frustrating...WWYD?

Re: AW: Wedding Bands (long)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    personally i thank you should get what you want.  it's something you will use and wear everyday.
  • Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do agree with andrea... get what you want....  what does your ering look like? maybe we could brainstom other ideas?

My ring has a halo setting and my diamond band (my splurge) fits perfectly under my diamond.... then I have my wedding band next to that.....

..... I orig. bought the inexpensive diamond band to wear but when it came in and Jeremy brought it home... I HATED it! The diamonds were SO tiny!  we promply returned it for one with bigger stones.... and spent about $180 more
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I had this problem too due to the style of my ring. A contoured band wasn't going to work at all.

I ended up with a plain band (2mm) and was told by Jareds that if I didn't like the small gap, they could heat of the regular band and press it against my Ering in order to make an indention so that it would sit closer together (this wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't have your Ering on either). I haven't done that because after wearing them together, the gap really doesn't bother me at all. . but anyways, that MAY be an option.

With this said, I have to agree with the others, get what you would like the most as it'll be your's for a very very long time :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had the same freak out - as we were looking for rings, I would panic that you could see a small space between my e-ring and the bands. We were looking at both diamond ones, and plain metal ones. In the end, it was more important to me to have a normal looking band that I could wear alone (sans e-ring) without some crazy indention if I wanted, than to stress about a small gap between the two. Plus, FI mentioned that the rings are likely to shift around on my finger some anyway, and it will probably be something I wouldn't notice if I wasn't focusing on it or stressing about it. In the end, I got a 5/8 carat beautiful band that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE. Plus, wedding bands with diamonds on it actually distract from the fact that there is a small gap there - my eyes get lost in the sparkle, so I don't notice it anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in the same boat as you. I was talking back and forth with the designer who did my e-ring, and we were planning on doing the custom band that would fit flush with the e-ring, do the wax mold, etc etc. It was super expensive, and I kept thinking, what if I ever do want to wear my band without my e-ring (which I do when Im working out in my hosue), it'll look weird, so I just decided to not worry about the gap (which is so insignificant anyway, no one ever notices, including me, which is huge because im picky). I went to diamonds direct and they created me a beautiful "straight" band that matched my e-ring and it was way less expensive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_aw-wedding-bands-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:d9229193-84e5-4dac-ada4-9fe028071283Post:19754622-f4ba-4d84-8a7e-dae4e9ab0b16">Re: AW: Wedding Bands (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had the same freak out - as we were looking for rings, I would panic that you could see a small space between my e-ring and the bands. We were looking at both diamond ones, and plain metal ones. In the end, it was more important to me to have a normal looking band that I could wear alone (sans e-ring) without some crazy indention if I wanted, than to stress about a small gap between the two. <strong>Plus, FI mentioned that the rings are likely to shift around on my finger some anyway</strong>, and it will probably be something I wouldn't notice if I wasn't focusing on it or stressing about it. In the end, I got a 5/8 carat beautiful band that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE. <strong>Plus, wedding bands with diamonds on it actually distract from the fact that there is a small gap there - my eyes get lost in the sparkle, so I don't notice it anymore.
    </strong>Posted by keserzan[/QUOTE]

YES!!!! These two things exactly.
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I say you go with your gut. What do you think you'll be happiest in 20 years looking at? If you spend say $500 more now, that isn't much at all when you look at how long you're going to be wearing it and looking at it everyday. 
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I still haven't shopped for rings yet, so I don't have much experience in this area.  But I would tend to agree that having a small gap is not too big of a deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would go for the one you really want. If your OCD, go for the custom ring!!

I wanted two bands, but we could not afford to buy 2 of the same because it would be wayyyy to expensive, so I bought the custom made one and then a cheap one that looks like the custom made one..welll guess what? I HATE the cheap one and don't wear it anymore. I can't wait to get the other custom made band(haha just have to wait 5 years).

You have to look at your rings all the time and your going to wear them forever, does spending a few hundred dollars more really matter in the end?

Good Luck!
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. It would actually be almost 1200 more to get a custom band made. If I KNEW I would like it, that wouldn't be such a big problem (except I couldn't wear it by itself without it looking weird) but I don't. I keep flip flopping which is more important...no gap or being able to wear the ring alone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    the gap would bother me too but so would spending alot of money on something that i am not 100% sure i would like.....i am not sure which way i would go but i sorta agree with katherine that a band with diamonds would distract from the gap
  • Options
    momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having an issue finding a band myself.  Any band will cover up the bottom row of diamonds i have on my ering so I have been trying to find something that won't which isn't possible.  Kindof bummed.  Back to square one of looking.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_aw-wedding-bands-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:d9229193-84e5-4dac-ada4-9fe028071283Post:d71727b1-64e4-4660-bdd2-3b740ab9c4c5">Re: AW: Wedding Bands (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies. It would actually be almost 1200 more to get a custom band made. If I KNEW I would like it, that wouldn't be such a big problem (except I couldn't wear it by itself without it looking weird) but I don't. I keep flip flopping which is more important...no gap or being able to wear the ring alone.
    Posted by wlfpkbride[/QUOTE]

Just be sure to keep in mind that even if you do get a custom band that sits "flush" with the e-ring, that unless they are fused together, they can and will shift sometimes, leaving a gap there anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards