Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Mandalay Bay - FAIL

Hey girls! Hubby & I just got back from Vegas this past Saturday and I'll write reviews for everything in the next few days, but I'm wondering if anyone has an email address that I can send a complaint letter to for Mandalay Bay?

In short, I am so upset with them that I still get worked up thinking about it, and it's been almost a week.

When I made the reservation for their Vista Suite, I told them it was for a wedding and they confirmed the room fit about 30 people, comfortably. I researched other brides on here and no one had any issues with noises, complaints, etc, so I figured we'd be good to go.

We hired DJ Godzilla (who was amazing), our guests assemebled, everyone ate, was having a great time, etc. The music was loud, but not so loud that everyone had to yell to be heard - you could have a conversation with people and not have to really raise your voice like you do at nightclubs.

At 9:30pm a security guard knocked on our door and asked us to "Please turn down the music just a little bit" - so we did. 20 minutes later, he knocked again, "Sorry guys, just turn it down a little bit more" - so we did.

A half an hour later, THREE security guards showed up and told us that the front desk had requested they get everyone except for the registered guest to leave the room. It, at this point, was only 10:30 and we had turned the music RIGHT down. We asked if we could just turn the music off and everyone could stay, but nope, they wouldn't budge. I requested to speak to the manager.

The manager of security came up, along with two more security guys. He pulled me aside and said he had to "respect" the guest that was complaining about the noise. I asked him where our respect was, that this was our wedding, that the hotel was aware we were having a reception, and that it was only 10:30pm. He shrugged and literally had no answer. He told me, again, that everyone had to leave. At this point our guests started to get agitated and several came out to try and talk to him but he kept telling them he'd only speak to me and had no interest in talking to anyone else.

My dad came out and asked who was saying everyone had to leave and he said the hotel night manager. We said fine, please send him up so we can talk to him.

The manager finally came up a half an hour later and stood there, SMIRKING, as he told everyone they had to leave. By this point there were about 10 staff members in the hallway, all with their arms crossed, looking at us as if we were criminals. They were all *very* rude, very snarky, non-apologetic even when I said to them, "You do understand this is our wedding day, right?"

All 10 of them stood there, lining the hallways, as all of our guests left. They told our DJ that if he wanted to be welcomed back to Mandalay Bay after this, that he better pack up his stuff and not say a word to anyone. We were *so* embarassed as other guests walked down the halls to/from their rooms and saw this going on. As everyone started to leave, 10 went to 8, 8 went to 5, until there were only 3 left, and they literally stood outside with their arms crossed until the last guest was gone.

Did we have a great wedding? You bet. Was everything perfect? Yes. Are we happy with Mandalay Bay? No way in hell.

We understand that the music was probably loud for that one room. But we did exactly what security asked us to do the first few times - which was turn it down a bit. When they came back the third time, we offered to just turn it off completely, and they wouldn't do that. They all acted like it was a big joke, made us feel like criminals, treated us terribly, without one word of an apology.

The frustrating thing is that our DJ had done EIGHT weddings in the Vista suite previously, none of which had any problems, and all went to the early hours of the morning.

So I'd like to write Mandalay Bay a letter. I'm not sure if it'll do any good but I need to do it anyways. Can anyone give me an email address? I can't seem to find one on the website.

ETA - On another note, our guests all said that up until that point, it was the best receptiont hey had ever been to, and at least we have a good story to tell!

Re: Mandalay Bay - FAIL

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_mandalay-bay-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:f87d1d17-fd90-41d5-9eaf-abf583326f09Post:f1327067-efa5-49fb-b863-7f5bced2e658">Re: Mandalay Bay - FAIL</a>:
    [QUOTE]O. M. G. I cannot believe they treated you this way!  I am soooo sorry..  I know that your wedding was magical anyways, but the principal of the matter is that they should have at least handled the issue without a smirk on their face... We need justice for the past Mandalay Bay reception brides who got treated crappy!
    Posted by empegues[/QUOTE]

It was awful. Several of our guests are going to write them letters as well because people can just not believe how rudely they handled the whole thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG I'm so sorry this happened and soooo worried!!!
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So not shocked that this happened.  Mandalay Bay did a nice job of srewing with my wedding in the Vista Suite too, but for different reasons.  Their customer service is non-existent.

I feel bad for you that you got unlucky enough to have some curmudgeon nearby who actualy wanted to sleep at 10PM in Vegas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    AJF - I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you, but I had to post about this....there have been so many MB issues lately. I said to the security manager, "Do you understand how much business comes to MB because of weddings?" and he said, "Yepp" - one of my final comments to them that night was, "You can bet everyone I know will be hearing about this - and everyone at the reception will be telling their friends too - each pissed off customer tells 50 people and they tell another 50, etc...."

They honestly didn't seem to care.

Jusstice - I'm sorry they pulled crap with you too :(

empegues - Yes, we at least got to do our speeches, first dance, cake cutting, garter toss, all that good stuff....and at least everyone still says they had a blast! It all just could have been handled a lot differently.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Wow!! I cant imagine this happening on your wedding day, Im so so sorry.

I would've cried and DH would have been freaking out demaning a refund from the hotel since they didnt uphold their end of the deal.

Did you have your ceremony at MB too?

I would do more than email, I would call and call and call until I felt the situation was resolved to where I wasnt fuming mad.

Good luck!
    Charity

Edit - you looked beautiful btw :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry that happened to you, that stinks! Seems like MB has been getting so much bad rep lately. On the bright side, I'm glad to hear you still had a great wedding. And I love your siggy pic btw! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    and this is the exact reason that we are doing this in a ballroom -- and not in a suite - and we're a small-ish party of about 70 people.

i'm so sorry that you've had this experience....and with all of the posting on here lately about MB, i'm really glad we decided to go with CP.  it was a close call....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    KrisMarie! Congratulations Mrs.!!! You look gorgeous in your siggy pic :)

I am sorry they treated you like this. I am gad you loved your wedding and everything prior to 10 went well! How awesome that people told you it was the best reception ever!

I have been wavering back and forth about switching from the Vista to the Stardust for our M&G. Your post is really pushing me towards the Stardust. I have just heard too many negative things about brides having problems with the Vista. I do hope you write them a letter or email. I would call the hotel and ask them to get you the email address or even a phone number.

Good luck and welcome back :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! First off I am so sorry you had problems :( also please do not take this the wrong way.... This is why I did not go the DJ route. I figured it was still a "hotel room" and that the noise level could cause a problem.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Kara! Courtney & Mike were awesome, I can't wait to see the rest of our pics. No, we had our ceremony at CP, and I wish we had our in-suite there. We stayed in the forum tower for the last 2 nights of our vacation, and we saw one of the higher ups in one of their big suites. We asked if they have parties in those suites and she laughed and said, "Yepp, parties all the time" - we told her about our MB experience and she couldn't believe it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Camille! I'd for sure go with the Stardust.

Stinker, I didn't take that the wrong way at all. I had doubts about the DJ but I talked to several brides on here who had a DJ in the Vista, and I talked to the DJ before booking, and no one had any problems, so I guessed I was good to go, but unfortunately that wasn't the case for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I am so sorry this happened to you.  MB has really been screwing up lately.

We were also very close to booking the Vista Suite next month but decided to go with Maggiano's.
    76 invited image 35 ready to partyimage 41 staying homeimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Krismarie: don't be sorry, thank you so much for posting! I still have time to figure it out
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    erinkay81erinkay81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First of all, congrats! As everyone else has said, you looked amazing!

Has anyone had a positive MB experience lately? I am starting to get very nervous, as our wedding is in 12 days and we are at TheHotel. No DJ, but I'm still worried about all of the problems there recently.

I'm so sorry your day was cut short. I'm glad everything was wonderful before that!
    LOTS For Sale!! Update 7/6--> erinanddavewedding.weebly.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wowzas! Talk about total suckage! I am sorry you had to endure this on your wedding day.

I am wondering if any of the brides who have had trouble with the Vista Suite are also getting married at the MB chapel. This is purely selfish curiosity. I am getting the Valley of the Falls package and the suite reservation is in my wedding contract.

I am wondering if this will keep MB from being d bags on my wedding day or if it's completely separate.

Any other brides have thoughts on this?
    We were thking of a DJ, too, so thanks for posting this. I'll be going the ipod route.
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry you went through all of that but glad to hear that everything else was great!  Love the new siggy pic!
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    hstaples4hstaples4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_mandalay-bay-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:f87d1d17-fd90-41d5-9eaf-abf583326f09Post:9f08a91d-1d9c-4831-b969-d928f0a9bfb5">Re: Mandalay Bay - FAIL</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wowzas! Talk about total suckage! I am sorry you had to endure this on your wedding day. I am wondering if any of the brides who have had trouble with the Vista Suite are also getting married at the MB chapel. This is purely selfish curiosity. I am getting the Valley of the Falls package and the suite reservation is in my wedding contract. I am wondering if this will keep MB from being d bags on my wedding day or if it's completely separate. Any other brides have thoughts on this? We were thking of a DJ, too, so thanks for posting this. I'll be going the ipod route.
    Posted by rferry[/QUOTE]
    KrisMarie- I'm so sorry this happened to you on your wedding day!  At least it sounds like it was a great time up until then. You do look gorgeous though!

rferry - I just e-mailed my wedding coordinator and asked her this same question, since we are paying a lot of money to have our wedding at their hotel, are they going to be any more accommodating to us.? Might be a long shot but I figured it was worth asking.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic PersonalMilestone BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear this :(  I agree with PP though - you looked fantastic!!  I'm glad you got part of your reception though.  Keep us posted on what they say.  You may want to call their main line and say you have a complaint and want to send a note to the manager.

I think they're more lenient if you have a contract with MB.  This stuff seems to be happening mainly to people who book the room and have a reception there - not book a reception through MB.  Maybe I'm wrong though...

Erinkay, I stayed at THEhotel about a year ago, and I LOVED it.  However, the room we stayed in was not air-tight.  I could hear a lot of people in the hallway.  You may want to find some sort of box or something to block the bottom of the door - you could even hear wind through it.  Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    have you done a twitter rant?  i know a lot of companies make sure that they are represented OK on twitter, etc.  might want to get you and all of your friends to tweet about the horrible experience - and # to mandalay bay - whatever name they use.
  • Options
    JoeyA_VPJoeyA_VP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Corporate environments like the strip resorts like to keep issues or dissatisfaction "local" to minimize the general awareness of it and keep it under control.  The action most likely to have a satisfactory effect (and which is the hardest for them to control) includes sending the letter to them as well as providing specific, honest, objective details to local media and posting the information in numerous areas that receive lots of attention from many people.  This will have greater effect than sending them a letter, and it is entirely legal so long as you are honest, accurate and objective.

• Options
    edited December 2011

So sorry you had such a bad experience with security.  Security came to visit us too in the media suite, but we turned the music down and it was all good.  We also had signage on our door that indicated that there was an event going on so it may have made the other guests cut us some slack.

You did look amazing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_mandalay-bay-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:f87d1d17-fd90-41d5-9eaf-abf583326f09Post:9aedbfce-d3be-40af-9a47-ac92f7d5104a">Re: Mandalay Bay - FAIL</a>:
    [QUOTE]have you done a twitter rant?  i know a lot of companies make sure that they are represented OK on twitter, etc.  might want to get you and all of your friends to tweet about the horrible experience - and # to mandalay bay - whatever name they use.
    Posted by jenjenaz[/QUOTE]
    Do this. Have your friends retweet. It's worth a shot. Be the squeaky wheel!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your pictures are beautiful.  Sorry about your experience but congratulations!
    Until the first full year of being one! Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my... I am SOOO sorry this happened to you! When you pay that kind of money for very special event, you shouldn't have to "quiet down" for other guests... It's Vegas for goodness sake.. the city that never sleeps... That is just Bull S*it! I agree that your friends/family should write complaints,... maybe you will get some money back?! It's worth a shot!

On another note... You looked absolutely gorgeous! =)
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm very sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience.  I also think this needs to be made very public.  Twitter, blog, post about it in places other than the knot.

Also, anyone planning a wedding should refuse to do business with Mandalay PERIOD! They obviously can't be bothered to act appropriately towards people anymore. Don't stay there, don't use the suties, don't book weddings.  There are so many options available within the city that they shouldn't be considered if they are going to continue to have bad service.
  • Options
    lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_mandalay-bay-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:f87d1d17-fd90-41d5-9eaf-abf583326f09Post:3f515a59-79ef-432a-b235-10ca87cb004b">Re: Mandalay Bay - FAIL</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mandalay Bay - FAIL : Do this. Have your friends retweet. It's worth a shot. Be the squeaky wheel!
    Posted by rferry[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed with the Twitter route.  Make a fuss on Twitter.  </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how to use Twitter! I'll have to learn! Thank you so much ladies for all your comments <3
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First order of making things public - posted on their FB page https://www.facebook.com/mandalaybay/posts/10150280343735660
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_mandalay-bay-fail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:f87d1d17-fd90-41d5-9eaf-abf583326f09Post:b1726921-68a6-4927-b218-c4774619d074">Re: Mandalay Bay - FAIL</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know how to use Twitter! I'll have to learn! Thank you so much ladies for all your comments <3
    Posted by krismarie621[/QUOTE]
    If you can use FB, you'll be fine on twitter. Kinda like a status update in 140 characters.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards