Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Need opinions on bridesmaid dress color combo ** additional idea added to this thread

Hi ladies!  So the weekend's shopping trip was successful, both of my girls I went shopping with found dresses that they loved and in their budgets.  The dresses are from different designers but the color samples were so close that I wasn't too worried about them being EXACTLY the same color. 

Here's my dilemna:  I just found out that the dress my MOH picked might not actually be offered in that color (I'm still in the process of trying to verify this with the salon).  What would you think if I put my MOH in a different color dress and had the other three girls in the original color I chose?  Here are the dresses and the colors I was thinking - so MOH would be in the first dress/color, the other 3 girls would be in the darker purple (not necessarily all the same dress, unless the other two pick that one too).    Feel free to be brutally honest, I can take it! 

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Need opinions on bridesmaid dress color combo ** additional idea added to this thread

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally think the colors are too close. I know it sounds weird, but I don't think they would compliment each other well in pictures....I think it would be better with like purple and black or all the same. But that is just my opinion and I think you should do whatever you want1!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The way I feel about Vegas weddings, is you can do whatever the heck you want! I think those colors are really pretty, but I do think Kmills has a point. They're close, so I wonder if it would look like someone messed up their order. Do these colors match the colors you're using in your wedding? Can you tie it together with flowers? Worst case scenario, I think it will be fine. But hopefully you CAN get them all the same color!!

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely hoping that they can be in the same color - in person the dresses didn't seem to be as close as they look in the picture (those were actually the sample colors).  The centerpieces have flowers in a similar color to the first dress.  What I really need to do is go back to the salon and put the dresses next to each other but of course it's a two hour drive.  I still have to take one more BM shopping with me, hopefully we'll be able to go next week.
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    I really like both dresses!! So pretty!!! But like PPs said, I don't think the 2 colors go together that well, but it's okay if you can't find any other alternatives. But hey like you said, it looks a lot different in person. Also I think it's better if they're in very different shades, the 3 girls could be in the really dark color, and the MOH could be in something light, like lavender. Something like that Khloe K did at her wedding last year. It was different shades of purple and it turned out great! I hope you figure something out though!!! :) 
  • Options
    GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the two shades would be fine together, as long as you tie them in well with matching flowers in a spectrum of pinks/purples.
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011

@Kara, I thought of maybe trying a lavender as well but I don't like the color options on the website - of course it again could look completely different in person.  I'll have to take a look at Khloe's wedding...

Thanks for the comments ladies!

Married 5.6.11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Or what if MOH went in a completely different color that compliments the original purple?  Like a light grey, dark pink etc?  I was recently in a wedding where we all wore the darker purple and MOH's dress was black with purple accents.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't like the 2 colours together at all, but I think some other people have made really good suggestions. In the end though, it's your wedding and you should do what you like! :)
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_need-opinions-bridesmaid-dress-color-combo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:feddb376-21d8-4b98-a0ad-8408a4a16c26Post:6d5667a8-c567-41d4-bd6b-1f517c670561">Re: Need opinions on bridesmaid dress color combo</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or what if MOH went in a completely different color that compliments the original purple?  Like a light grey, dark pink etc?  I was recently in a wedding where we all wore the darker purple and MOH's dress was black with purple accents.
    Posted by queenklm33[/QUOTE]
    Definitely something else to look at, thanks!  MOH has said that she was ok with the other dress but she really loved the first one, and it fit her beautifully. 
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    Ok, what about something more like this?

Married 5.6.11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the new idea! I think the more drastic color change makes it look more intentional while the other way just looked like a mistake by the company. But either way go for what YOU like and I love purples anyways :)
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I prefer the original colours... they just seem a bit warmer and more romantic. Easier to match to flowers as well.
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_need-opinions-bridesmaid-dress-color-combo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:feddb376-21d8-4b98-a0ad-8408a4a16c26Post:0c12b2e4-5eb9-4449-a7af-a093b29e5315">Re: Need opinions on bridesmaid dress color combo ** additional idea added to this thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the new idea! I think the more drastic color change makes it look more intentional while the other way just looked like a mistake by the company. But either way go for what YOU like and I love purples anyways :)
    Posted by stinkerbell6879[/QUOTE]
    Thanks stinkerbell!  At first I thought about trying to tie the whole look together with flowers but everyone was right that it would probably look too much like a mistake...
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_need-opinions-bridesmaid-dress-color-combo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:feddb376-21d8-4b98-a0ad-8408a4a16c26Post:4062a868-fb2b-4b49-85b4-6c6eb1f2d094">Re: Need opinions on bridesmaid dress color combo ** additional idea added to this thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]I prefer the original colours... they just seem a bit warmer and more romantic. Easier to match to flowers as well.
    Posted by Gribbles[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Gribbles!  I think what I really need to do is just go back to the salon and figure it out from there.  I realize I'm probably way over thinking things too...

Anyway, I really do appreciate everyone's responses, they've all been extremely helpful!
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is why I liked the second idea....I would so have done this!
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    Kara811 actually mentioned Khloe's color scheme so I checked that out - that's where I came up with option number two... 
    Smile 
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Love option 2!  :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ebony!
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I like option 2, or something similar to that.  Having two contrasting colours looks more intentional.  The dresses are pretty, good choice!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_need-opinions-bridesmaid-dress-color-combo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:feddb376-21d8-4b98-a0ad-8408a4a16c26Post:559c78af-13a8-4be3-846b-70e073f5cc8a">Re: Need opinions on bridesmaid dress color combo ** additional idea added to this thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like option 2, or something similar to that.  Having two contrasting colours looks more intentional.  The dresses are pretty, good choice!
    Posted by mwkoby[/QUOTE]
    Thanks so much!  The girls picked their dresses so I can't really take credit for choosing them though... :)  I'm just really happy that they were able to find something they like, and they both looked awesome!
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    Soooo, did my idea win??? haha just kidding! I meant to come back earlier and post a pic of Khloe's wedding, but I have been so exhausted and jet lagged the whole day! Anyhoo, I really like the new idea now direy! All these dresses are very pretty! I'm sure your girls will love them still! And this is your wedding, so ultimately go with whatever you want! Hope you figure it out! You still have sometime anyway. :) 
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_need-opinions-bridesmaid-dress-color-combo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:feddb376-21d8-4b98-a0ad-8408a4a16c26Post:370c5356-0227-43ce-a067-daf367c93db6">Re: Need opinions on bridesmaid dress color combo ** additional idea added to this thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Soooo, did my idea win??? haha just kidding! I meant to come back earlier and post a pic of Khloe's wedding, but I have been so exhausted and jet lagged the whole day! Anyhoo, I really like the new idea now direy! All these dresses are very pretty! I'm sure your girls will love them still! And this is your wedding, so ultimately go with whatever you want! Hope you figure it out! You still have sometime anyway. :) 
    Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]
    Ha ha, yes, if I can't get the dress in the dark purple color, your idea won.  :)  Actually, the more I look at the two colors together I might still decide to go this route even if we can get the dress in dark purple, I love the contrast!
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    Yay!!! I love the contrast too! And I wanted to do something very similar only with purple though. But as we started planning the wedding, my FI was quick to shut down having pink and purple in our wedding! haha So we stuck to our favorite color which is green! I think if you stick with this your girls will look great! And you'll have some awesome pictures! :) 
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Kara!
    Married 5.6.11

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know Im jumping in on this thread late but I actually like the first option just as well as the other. I think theyre both nice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    11Vegas711Vegas7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the purple and grey/silverish dress combo.  I think that would be super pretty!
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    Thank you natalienoelle & 11Vegas7!  I was talking to my MOH last night and she actually prefers the lighter lavender color better than the dark purple - so even if the dress does end up coming in the dark purple color I still might stick with the contrasting colors...  everyone's responses definitely helped me on this one so thanks everyone!
    Married 5.6.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards