Nevada-Las Vegas

Trashing the Dress....

Ok...So thanks to Rach! I now am considering it! I went on the local photography board and wanted to ask some questions and I actually got a response from one... If I do this CRAZY idea (but kinda neat in a sick way!lol) He would shoot it for FREE, so what the problem...... My dress would actually get trashed! Would you do it? I mean, I am only going to need it once and I am only 5'0 Ft nothin so it's not like I can resale my dress...

Oh and here is the idea!

"Now here is my idea:

Think Firing Squad.

You tied up and blind-folded in the dress strapped to a wooden post and wall behind you. cigarette in one hand and bottle of wine in the other.

The Groom and Best man will be wearing Paintball gear with guns, and be aiming at you. Of course we'll shoot up the dress with paintball ahead of time, but it'll look like they shot the dress with you in it.

Okay, so it's way out there and probably something you weren't thinking of doing.

The price for that, if we can get the props, FREE!!!
"

2011-2012 Races
10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
Me:32 DH:33
IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)

Re: Trashing the Dress....

• edited December 2011
    oh my!  It seems kinda cool but are you willing to really trash?
  • edited December 2011
    Mel! That's what makes me say...hummmm??.... he does some really great pic's and would give me a good rate for a "normal" shoot. I just love how some turn out, but it's a fine line between cool and WTF? you know what I mean?
    2011-2012 Races
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, it sounds cool but are you gonna miss the dress once it's trashed for sure?
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely! I love the idea of a trash the dress but it seems just a bit extreme.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not a big fan of trash the dress.  I worry about regreting it later.  If I were to do it, I would do something similiar to Rach's pictures.  They were more like "lets not mind if the dress gets a little dirty" than actually trashing it.

Your idea sounds cool, but does sound a bit extreme IMO
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah.... the more I think about it, the more I think I would like to keep it umm.....more "normal". lol.

But this is why I run these CRAZY ideas by you wonderful ladies!
    2011-2012 Races
  • edited December 2011
    I loke the idea of trash the dress, with paint, dirt, water, grease, food... whatever... I think your idea seems little out there though.

Now if you and your man are big into paintballing I say go paintballing in your gown. Put all your protective gear on under your dress and a helmet and go for it.

Is mike your photographer?  I couldn't remember. 
    I love that he is giving a free session with every booking right now.

I personally am thinking about doing a car theme trash the dress.  think grease and dirt and wife beaters and oil.  My man and I are intot rebuilding cars and I won his heart by washing his car for him.
  • RachNRichRachNRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on how you feel about this idea. I, personally, wouldn't do it (I wouldn't want to trash my dress that badly! and, I'm not the biggest fan of "staged" photoshoots--I would be afraid they would look weird because I'm not a professional model). 

Are you leaning towards doing it?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trashing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ff81db76-fa92-4f1b-930d-797f57985db7Post:c31b2814-6035-4f38-addc-15f699b56e8f">Re: Trashing the Dress....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loke the idea of trash the dress, with paint, dirt, water, grease, food... whatever... I think your idea seems little out there though. Now if you and your man are big into paintballing I say go paintballing in your gown. Put all your protective gear on under your dress and a helmet and go for it. Is mike your photographer?  I couldn't remember.  I love that he is giving a free session with every booking right now. I personally am thinking about doing a car theme trash the dress.  think grease and dirt and wife beaters and oil.  My man and I are intot rebuilding cars and I won his heart by washing his car for him.
    Posted by sekceyes[/QUOTE]
    Yeah Mike is my photographer, but this is a different local guy near me....And I agree if paint balling was our thing it would be neat, but it's not....My FI is into cars and gaming, sooooo......
    2011-2012 Races
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trashing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ff81db76-fa92-4f1b-930d-797f57985db7Post:ba5d2c71-5860-460f-9bb0-f5372f98843b">Re: Trashing the Dress....</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends on how you feel about this idea. I, personally, wouldn't do it (I wouldn't want to trash my dress that badly! and, I'm not the biggest fan of "staged" photoshoots--I would be afraid they would look weird because I'm not a professional model).  Are you leaning towards doing it?!
    Posted by RachNRich[/QUOTE]
    The more I started to think about it the more I am NOT!lol....and I agree I am no model and think it could look like WTF?
    2011-2012 Races
  • keana123keana123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry ladies I am going against popular vote here. Stinkerbell I LOVE this idea! It's fun, creative and totally unexpected. I say do it! If not I might steal your idea! You can still be pretty and wild at the same time, you don't have to go the safe route.

I have yet to meet one married woman that has done anything with her dress other than spend a fortune to preserve it and it's just taking up space in her closet. WHat the heck are you goign to use it for later on? A hallowwen costume maybe. The whole point of trashing your dress is that you are so in love with your partner that you will never need it again. If say do it!

Let us know what you decide.
  • edited December 2011
    Is this a local bkfd photographer?

I personally wouldn't do it, bc I don't want my dress actually trashed. I am thinking about doing something similar to Rach's where I am wearing my dress again in an outdoor setting, but not rolling in the mud.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trashing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ff81db76-fa92-4f1b-930d-797f57985db7Post:a80d1124-8494-4c42-9a37-d829877bf1db">Re: Trashing the Dress....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is this a local bkfd photographer? I personally wouldn't do it, bc I don't want my dress actually trashed. I am thinking about doing something similar to Rach's where I am wearing my dress again in an outdoor setting, but not rolling in the mud.
    Posted by dvohnout[/QUOTE]
    Yep! He is on the Kern County Photography Association forms and does model head shots, etc....Not your typical shoots...I agree that I don'treally want my dress TRASHED to the point of no return...If you want FB msg. me and I can show you the guys work....
    2011-2012 Races
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trashing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ff81db76-fa92-4f1b-930d-797f57985db7Post:56c36717-4f3d-41f1-bffd-de31e27488ef">Re: Trashing the Dress....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry ladies I am going against popular vote here. Stinkerbell I LOVE this idea! It's fun, creative and totally unexpected. I say do it! If not I might steal your idea! You can still be pretty and wild at the same time, you don't have to go the safe route. I have yet to meet one married woman that has done anything with her dress other than spend a fortune to preserve it and it's just taking up space in her closet. WHat the heck are you goign to use it for later on? A hallowwen costume maybe. The whole point of trashing your dress is that you are so in love with your partner that you will never need it again. If say do it! Let us know what you decide.
    Posted by keana123[/QUOTE]
    Haha! This is so true keana....I think to a point I would trash a little but not to the point of totally ruined...hummm....
    2011-2012 Races
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe I'm not as artsy, but the idea of being tied up and insinuating that my new husband just shot me, kinda freaks me out haha.

Also I saw the others, and being on fire or looking like you just drowned isn't for me! I think a TYD shoot for me is more showing of the dress in a new setting when you aren't so crazed about the prestine condition of it, but being on fire, or shot--kinda freaks me out :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trashing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:ff81db76-fa92-4f1b-930d-797f57985db7Post:93c9c9e7-e0d6-45af-81b6-c761c7c506be">Re: Trashing the Dress....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe I'm not as artsy, but the idea of being tied up and insinuating that my new husband just shot me, kinda freaks me out haha. Also I saw the others, and being on fire or looking like you just drowned isn't for me! I think a TYD shoot for me is more showing of the dress in a new setting when you aren't so crazed about the prestine condition of it, but being on fire, or shot--kinda freaks me out :)
    Posted by dvohnout[/QUOTE]
    Haha! That's what I meant that it is a twisted idea! I agree....I think if I do this...It will be a VERY normal trash the dress :)
    2011-2012 Races
  • kikibabykikibaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... definitely interesting.  I think the part I don't like is the paintballs. 

Rach also inspired me to do a TTD, but I'm going to let my FI (then H) shoot it.  He's actually an amazing photographer and I wish he could shoot our wedding, haha ;)
  • bwinkoppbwinkopp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_trashing-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:ff81db76-fa92-4f1b-930d-797f57985db7Post:56c36717-4f3d-41f1-bffd-de31e27488ef">Re: Trashing the Dress....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry ladies I am going against popular vote here. Stinkerbell I LOVE this idea! It's fun, creative and totally unexpected. I say do it! If not I might steal your idea! You can still be pretty and wild at the same time, you don't have to go the safe route. I have yet to meet one married woman that has done anything with her dress other than spend a fortune to preserve it and it's just taking up space in her closet. WHat the heck are you goign to use it for later on? A hallowwen costume maybe. The whole point of trashing your dress is that you are so in love with your partner that you will never need it again. If say do it! Let us know what you decide.
    Posted by keana123[/QUOTE]

I have honestly never heard it put this way!  My father told me to do it, but he said it was the celebrate teh stress of planning is over!  (getting married in vegas I think we have all dodged that bullet [or paintball!])

I think it would be a cute Idea...is your dress white or ivory?  Most paintballs are made of fishoil so it does wash out...just after the photoshoot get it recleaned. 

I bought my dress for $99 and no alterations....(lucky I knw)  So I dont think I would have any issue trashing the gown, but the girls who pay thousands, that would break myheart if I trashed that!  I would never trash my favorite Gucci purse.
  • SunnyCanadianSunnyCanadian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I love some of the pics that come out of TTD shoots, but my parents are paying for my dress and my mom has already said no way are you trashing your dress lol!  I love Rach's pics, and if I did have the chance to do a TTD, I would personally do something like she did.

But it's your dress, your decision. It would make for some really interesting pics!

BFP #1 MM/C discovered at 8w2d, loss 11/18/11
    I'll hold you in my heart until I hold you in heaven
    BFP #2 7/7/12, EDD 3/14/13, stick baby stick!
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • keana123keana123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are countless ways of doing a TTD session. I have seen everything from Rach's idea to the bride and groom in a pool, jumping in the ocean, etc. I think it's about finding something significant to you and your hubby. My honey is big into art and I very much appreciate art so our TTD would probably be something related to that. Besides, this is a great opportunity to let lose and do something completely out of character.
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE that idea!! Yes kind of out there but so completely ORIGINAL. I want to do a TTD shoot too, though I haven't even gotten my dress yet. Since I'm from Orlando, I was thinking about doing a TTD in one of the Disney waterparks - Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach. (YES.. they do allow this but you do it before the park opens and it has to be through Disney Photography I'm pretty sure) If you really aren't sure you want to trash YOUR dress, I've even heard of girls going and buying really inexpensive gowns and trashing those instead!
  • ndenbowndenbow member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    do it. 
    do it do it do it. 
    i just trashed my dress with my husband yesterday and it was the MOST FUN i have ever had (aside from my wedding) we had a paint fight at the dry lakes bed and a few other locations and the photos are GORGEOUS. 
    we also had tickets to see the Tourney of Kings and came back late, so we just went to the show in our wedding clothes all painted up! the looks we got from people were CLASSIC! everyone loved it, and it was such a good time. 
    the dress is now hanging in the closet (i'm attempting to get it drycleaned- the paint was washable, hehe)
    so, yes. in short. go for it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards