Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Indiana wedding dilema

My name is Christina...my fiance & I set our wedding date for Saturday, October 16th of this year...Unfortunately, my father has become ill & will be unable to walk me down the aisle, & will not even be able to attend our ceremony. Needless to say, I am heartbroken. I simply do not want to have our planned ceremony without my father. So, I can't figure out what to do. Should we go to Vegas? Should we get married at our local court house? Should we get married at a local bed & breakfast (historic mansion)? I can't decide, because if we get married here, I don't want my fiance's parents there, because mine can't be there?...

Re: Indiana wedding dilema

• Options

Decide on the type and location of the wedding you want, then plan accordingly.

But you DON"T exclude the groom's family just because your father is unable to attend.  If you think this is in any way remotely acceptable or reasonable, you are not ready for marriage.

• Options
    It is horrible to want to exclude your FI's family because your father can't be there.  That is completely unreasonable and if DH and I had been in your situation and he had suggested that my parents not attend because of an illness in his family I wouldn't have married him.

It isn't fair for your FI and his family to not be present just because your father is ill.  It sucks that your dad is sick but why would you punish your FI because of it?

Silly girl-you probably shouldn't be getting married if you think that excluding his family is a reasonable thing to do.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_indiana-wedding-dilema?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:1674bbb7-cc4f-4f6f-8139-abdbc5c6a244Post:1182b08d-51b6-4dd6-bf45-7b07df1c3c6a">Indiana wedding dilema</a>:
    [QUOTE]My name is Christina...my fiance & I set our wedding date for Saturday, October 16th of this year...Unfortunately, my father has become ill & will be unable to walk me down the aisle, & will not even be able to attend our ceremony. Needless to say, I am heartbroken. I simply do not want to have our planned ceremony without my father. So, I can't figure out what to do. Should we go to Vegas? Should we get married at our local court house? Should we get married at a local bed & breakfast (historic mansion)? I can't decide, because if we get married here, I don't want my fiance's parents there, because mine can't be there?...
    Posted by ChristyLane01[/QUOTE]

JIC
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_indiana-wedding-dilema?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:1674bbb7-cc4f-4f6f-8139-abdbc5c6a244Post:1182b08d-51b6-4dd6-bf45-7b07df1c3c6a">Indiana wedding dilema</a>:
    [QUOTE]My name is Christina...my fiance & I set our wedding date for Saturday, October 16th of this year...Unfortunately, my father has become ill & will be unable to walk me down the aisle, & will not even be able to attend our ceremony. Needless to say, I am heartbroken. I simply do not want to have our planned ceremony without my father. So, I can't figure out what to do. Should we go to Vegas? Should we get married at our local court house? Should we get married at a local bed & breakfast (historic mansion)? I can't decide, because if we get married here, <strong>I don't want my fiance's parents there, because mine can't be there?...</strong>
    Posted by ChristyLane01[/QUOTE]

Holy crap.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry your father is ill.  My parents were unable to attend my wedding to my ex due to illness, but that didn't mean we couldn't have a lovely wedding.  I think you are being very selfish, which may be an understandable impulse at this time, but is NOT somethiing you need to indulge for long. 

Setting aside your complete disregard for your fi's family, would your father want you to cancel everything on his behalf?  Somehow I doubt it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards