Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

"Must Take" pictures for photographer

Just out of curiosity, how big was the list of "Must Take" pics for your photographer?  I am trying to keep our list as short as possible, but also have many shot combinations I want to get.

Thanks!

Re: "Must Take" pictures for photographer

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ask to see your photographer's typical shot list. Then, just simply add to whatever they didn't include.

For example, if you have a special pin from your aunt that you want photographed, say so. That's a specific, important shot to you that he/she won't know otherwise.

If you are talking about family combinations for formals, my advice is to have as few as possible, especially if you have a photojournalistic photographer and are not seeing each other before the ceremony.

Here's why: it can take anywhere from 2-3 minutes per shot, on average, to gather everyone at the altar. You may have limited time. Someone always forgets to stay and goes to the reception. People are extremely distracted that day.

So if you have 20 combinations, and you only have 45 minutes at the church after the ceremony, realize it will be extremely tight to get all of them. And stressful. And you won't include most of these in your album.  And endless formal photo combinations are somewhat visually boring can cut into nice portraits of you and your husband.

Here's what I did for my own wedding:

Formals after Ceremony:

Bride and Groom

Bride and Groom and both sets of parents

Bride and Groom and her parents

Bride and Groom and her immediate family (parents and siblings)

Bride and Groom and her whole family (everyone else in one shot, whether it be Grandma, Aunt Susie, whoeever, one big shot)

Bride and Groom and his parents

Bride and Groom and his immediate family (parents and siblings)
    Bride and Groom and his whole family

Bridal Party shots
    Any shots as requested

Also, it will be MOST helpful to the photographer to not just give a list to him/her, but to have someone designated on each side of the family to gather these people. After all, they don't know who Aunt Edna is if she's written down on paper.

And be sure to tell those family members to stay behind after the ceremony, before the reception, to capture those formals. I actually included a note in my invites. They should come back to the pews and sit right away, so it goes super quickly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I paid for a good professional photographer for a reason, one of which is that they know which shots will look great.  Other than families at the altar, I left everything up to the photographer. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Take kwynn's advice. She is an amazing photographer and person, not to mention THE most organized person I have ever met in my life. She knows her stuff. 

As for me, I'm glad you asked the question, cause I had no idea either. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards