Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Odd wedding dress question.

Ok so I have this friend. We've been pretty close since I moved here. I met her when I started babysitting for her. Anyway back a long time ago she said that whenever FI and I got married that she would like to buy my wedding dress for me. I told her at the time that it was really nice of but she def didn't have to do that.

Well when we got engaged she brought it up again. Again I told her that I appreciated the offer but wedding dresses are expensive and she didn't have to do that.

Well she called me tonight and told me once again that she wanted to buy the dress.

I am very thankful for this but I don't know what to say to her. How do I let someone that is a friend of mine/ someone that I babysit for buy a wedding dress for me? OR how do I not hurt her feelings (she doesn't have a daughter and can't have any more kids) and tell her that I'm not going to let her buy the dress?
image.

Re: Odd wedding dress question.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    How about a little white lie? In my family, it is tradition for the mother of the bride to buy the dress and veil. I would say something similar to that, perhaps.

If she really insists, I would tell her gently that I bought the dress and it was $XXXX. I'd also invite her to come and see it with you; she probably just really wants that experience. I'd also say "If you insist on buying it, please make that your wedding gift to me."

Or maybe you could suggest she purchase something else you need that would be special. How about a veil? Maybe she could be in charge of old, new, borrowed, blue? Or some jewelry?

• Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kwynn- I think you may be on to something with the "experience" thing. Thankfully do to my surgery I have a little bit of time before I can go back in to try it on again. And it should be in by time I am walking again. So maybe she can come in with me for a couple fittings.
    image.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to say GL on your surgery! Hope all goes well.
    ME:44 MH:42 DE IVF 2013
    image Matrix image Ollie
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Becky! Should be ok. I'll be back on in a couple days to check in :)
    image.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't know if you'll see this, but GL today! I like kwynn's advice- just let her be involved in some way, whether it be buying something else or attending a fitting. Hopefully she'll be satisfied with that!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like that advice, Kwynn. Always giving the best advice. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good thoughts Kwynn.  And best of luck to you for this situation and the surgery E!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great thoughts from K.  Keep us posted!  I think sometimes people just want to do SOMETHING for you, but she might not realize how much a gown even is now, etc.

And GL with the surgery!  Sending some major vibes and prayers your way.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards