Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

AW: Venue Visits

So my fiance and I spent 4 days in town last weekend looking at venues, we went to 11 places!  Yes, 11!  I didn't think it seemed like that many, but we came home absolutely exhausted.  At least we have it narrowed down to our top 3, and I was hoping to get some insight on our finalists:

1. PPG Zoo - Water's Edge area.  We absolutely loved this, but a big downside for us is the fact that they won't let you do a ceremony there.  So we liked the patio at the Soldiers and Sailors memorial for that, and I have an e-mail out to the University Club about their rooftop terrace.  We' re just not church people.  If anyone has any other suggestions for ceremony sites please let me know.  I thought about renting one of the pavilions at Highland Park, but we're not city residents and how they handle who gets those seems kind of weird.

2. Heinz Field - even though my FI is a Giants fan, he really liked it!  There's a ton of huge Steelers fans in my family that would just be thrilled with this pick

3. Parador Inn - Ed was an absolute trip, not to mention that the mansion is gorgeous.  The rooms at the mansion might be a bit pricy for the grandparents ($150 a night) which is who I would want staying there along with our parents, my brother, MOH, and BM.

We're coming back down next weekend with both our parents, MOH and her husband to show them those 3 favorites.  And I'm really hoping to sign a contract and put a deposit down while we're there! 

Re: AW: Venue Visits

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Good for you, sounds like a great visit! :)

Are you having a smaller wedding? I know the Water's Edge doesn't hold a ton of people, but the Zoo always gets rave reviews.

I would caution you to have a backup plan for the ceremony that isn't just outside on a patio. Phipps does ceremonies and has tents for them too, I believe.

You know which one I would pick though :)

HTH!
  • Options
    NJSLNJSL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're looking to have about 100 people.

I'm pretty sure that the patio can be tented if needed, I have to double check that with her when we go back.  We had looked at Phipps, but the woman that showed around was so cold and rushing us that we just got a really bad vibe. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YAY!  Congrats on narrowing it down!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding at the Aquarium at the Zoo in July and haven't had any issues so far in dealing with them.  But I guess it would depend on what type of vibe you are looking for and if you had a location preference.  But that's great that you have it narrowed down and are headed in the right direction!  Let us know how it goes the second time around!
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, 11 venues!  You guys are troopers :)  Congrats on narrowing it down, and good luck with the final decision!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Could you give me a list of all the 11 places you visited?

We are still trying to find a reception site. Thanks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    NJSLNJSL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to the Gateway Clipper, Heinz History Center (i really liked this one but we found other places that we just liked better), LaMont, the Zoo/Acquarium, Soldiers and Sailors (also liked this place but the room was too large for the amount of people we're looking at), Phipps Conservatory, Heinz Field, The Parador Inn, National Aviary, Carnegie Science Center, and ...what am I forgetting...oh the ballroom at the Omni William Penn (very beautiful but again too large for our group)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards