Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

O/T - NFP

So this is something I've thought about for a while now and after our pre-cana class last night and the subject being on Natural Family Planning, I'm now even more interested. My reasons are a good mix of religious reasons and more physcial reasons.Any of you practice this or plan on doing it? I'm currently on the pill, but hoping once FI and I are married to get off of it. The couple that spoke to us last night had 4 children, all planned using NFP and perfectly spaced 2 years apart which was very impressive!The way it was presented last night was very positive, but I also do realize it was catholic instructors, so they could be a bit biased. Any opinions are welcome. I do plan on buying some material to read more about the details, perhaps from a non-religious point of view.TIA!Kim

Re: O/T - NFP

• Options
    EmilyBerdellEmilyBerdell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     No advice, here. However, I totally agree with you. After we did our pre-cana the idea didn't seem so bad. I have been on BC for about 15 years...which I know can't be good for my body. We would like to ook at more information on NFP - so if you find useful materials let me know. GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should read the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility".  It's very informative and really teaches you a lot about what's going on with your body.  I personally would not use it as a method of birth control, but it's been very useful while trying to conceive.  Well, sort of useful because I'm still not pregnant, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    um..could somebody clue me in please? this reads like greek to me. i'm not catholic, we aren't doing pre cana, so i am so lost...
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jennybean - NFP is a more evolved "rhythm method". You chart your daily temp, mucus (eww!), etc to see which are your fertile and non fertile days, then abstain on days you could get PG. I know too many people with 6+ kids that used NFP. I'm not saying they don't love each and everyone, but I relaly think they just decided some days to say "eff it" to abstaining, and got a kid as a result :P
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL, Jenn.  I know many NFP people who have like 3 kids in the late teens/20s and then a 4 year old.  ;)If you aren't strictly following the religious reasons, you could choose to use other protection during your fertile times instead of abstaining. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know a friend who used it to conceive, but not to avoid. I think it works really well for some women and not at all for others who may have crazy cycles, be super fertile, etc.There is no way my DH would ever go for this, but if yours is open to it, then why not try it? I would just be sure you can afford a kid and can have one at this stage in life before doing NFP just in case something happens.
  • Options
    d78d78
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto what Jenn & KR said. Our secretary used NFP and has five kids. The last of which she admits was an accident. I'm not sure abou the rest of the kids, though. :-) And obviously, she loves them all the same, too.GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can totally understand using this method for religious reasons since it's not contraceptive at all.  But I agree that you have to be open to having 4, 5, 6 kids as well! :) We're thinking one or two tops, so not sure how this will work for us. I'm not super against artificial forms of birth control (I know, I'm a bad Catholic), but I think this would be a good method to use while we're trying to conceive, and use a backup for all the times we are not. I'd be very nervous about only using NFP, but I guess my opinion could change if we were more open to having a large family. We are wanting to starting a family right away and are finacially prepared and on the same page. Obviously this isn't something we'll start until after the wedding. (I want to be able to drink at my reception! hah) Even though I can say that I was the youngest guest in attendance at my parents wedding (my mom was 4 months along when her and my dad married back in 1980) :)Thanks girls for the opinions. I'm gong to check out the book suggested as well. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was at my parents' wedding also!  I didn't figure it out until I was in 8th grade. Definitely read the book, it's all the information and more that you could ever want. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was at my parents' wedding also! I didn't figure it out until I was in 8th grade.LOL!  That is an excellent phrase! 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and this is driving me crazy!  What does O/T mean at the title of this thread?  Off Topic? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes - O/T = Off Topic :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I remember after we went to pre-cana we also thought about it for a few days, then totally changed our minds.  So I agree with the others about FAM being a better choice if you're not dead set on NFP for religious reasons.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards