Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

NWR: G20 Summit

Did anyone catch the clip on the news yesterday about people subleasing their homes for the Summit, since hotels are selling out quickly? FI & I missed the actual clip, but saw the teaser commercial. We talked about it breifly, but mostly dismissed the thought. However, he must have mentioned it at work and his coworkers are highly suggesting us looking in to our lease to see if we are in fact allowed to sublease. They figure we could make a good chunk of $$ (read: much needed wedding $$) by doing this. So now I'm wondering....should we consider it? I figure that the people looking for accommodations and in town for the Summit are not going to be the drudge of the ghetto, though I would take anything of supreme value out of the house (i.e., my cats, computers, cameras. they can have the TV if they really want it, it's about 10 yrs old!). I don't know if we would be able to co-reside, or if we would have to stay elsewhere. We can always stay at the FIL's (joy), and we're hoping that most offices are shut down for those few days anyways so we're hoping to not be working (fingers crossed). Since we live on Mt. Washington, we are in prime location for those attending the Summit. We're just a block and a half off of Grandview, and have a garage and a driveway (unheard of on the Mtn!). Anyways...does anyone have any thoughts on this? I know it seems like a really bad idea at first, but dwell on it for a moment please.

Re: NWR: G20 Summit

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally think this sounds like a wonderful idea!  Def take your stuff out, but other than that I dont see too much harm in it... Just get someplace to stay and do some drivebys during the week.  I was thinking about doing this as well- there are houses in Cranberry doing it, so I guess Shaler wouldnt be too far... How do you go about it, just an ad on Craigslist?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd do it if I knew it were a diplomat, but I don't know that I'd want some crazy protestors staying at my house (not that all people who protest politics are crazy) but I'd be worried they'd take their anger out on my stuff.Do you think they'd want to rent near the airport lol, I'm willing to move out for a weekend!
  • Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'd think the airport would be a great area as well! close to the airport! i'm just wondering if there's a way to do background checks or things like that. and i wonder if even if our lease doesn't allow subleases, if the landlord would make an exception for this event. maybe FI could draft a sublease for whoever is staying at the house to sign? and i'm not sure how to go about doing it. maybe craigslist? maybe there's a way to go through visitpittsburgh?
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We actually considered doing this for the inauguration but thought we were a little too far away, although plenty of people in Baltimore did do it.  If the thought of someone sleeping in your bed and using your stuff doesn't creep you out, I would do it.  Obviously you have to take precautions, but I wouldn't mind the inconvenience.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm..good points KR. the thought of other ppl in my bed does slightly creep me out (actually, the thoughts of what they might be doing in my bed is what creeps me out). so special sheets just for the situation would be a MUST! maybe a few layers of sheets! ;) KR: do you know how people go about doing this? do they just place ads?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd like to know what the going price is LOL!  I'd buy one of those plastic mattress protectors too, just to be extra safe!  We're by the county airport, where most chartered planes come in, so that's what got me thinking.  Although I don't think my house is stylish enough.I used to work with a woman who had family in Oakmont and they would rent a house out for the US Open, she said her relatives got some insanely high price for it and the house was only worth $60K and didn't even have AC!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that's crazy! i called my mom and she was very supportive! she said to ask $500/night, 3 night minimum. that's for a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath townhouse. maybe i should be thinking more $$ than that?! i need to get this rolling i think..!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't really know...I did see ads on CL and For Rent By Owner though.  Maybe try there to see if there are other places listed for the G20.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    let me know what you find out- I am very interested in doing this.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i sent an email to a friend of ours that works for visitpittsburgh-he's the one that clued us in to where the furries were booking their hotels for the convention waaaaay in advance (lol, so glad he clued us in!). i want to see if he has any advice, or if there is a way to have visitpittsburgh advertise for us, since they often help people with accommodation bookings in the city for big events. i'll let you know if he has any info. other than that, i'm going to talk to FI about contacting the landlord. my mom doesn't think that it really is considered subleasing since it would only be for a few days or so, and not an extended period of time, but we prob should talk to him first. i also think FI drafting a sublease agreement might be a good idea (thankfully he's a lawyer and should be able to do this somewhat not so painfully). whatever i figure out, i'll let you know! i have no problem putting a plastic sheet on the beds, grabbing the cats and computers, and bailing out for a few days!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL, I can just see the furries crawling around your house, laying on the back of the couch, playing with a ball of yarn!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are plenty of ads on GL already![url]http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/sub[/url] 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lolol to the furry comment!! that would be soooooooo entertaining!! thanks for the link KR! a friend of mine just left a comment on FB saying to call the mayor's hotline and they will direct you-they have people working on this already. now i think we are way behind the eight ball on this! uh oh!
  • Options
    AMK2009AMK2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I was closer, I would so do it!!  I'd probably ask more than $500 though!  They've got money and you're in a great location!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that's true. my mom pointed out that chances are they've got someone else paying for the trip anyways, so expense doesn't really matter. there's someone leasing their place on the mtn for $400/night, and they're on the really shady side of the mtn. i think i'm going to put a call in to our landlord this afternoon to see if he is even ok with it before i go any further. i emailed FI, but he is simply too busy working (the nerve) to respond!
  • Options
    rhiannas01rhiannas01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    good idea! if I were you I'd ask more than that! that way maybe the people staying there would appreciate the place (and not trash it) if they paid top dollar for it! I wish I still lived on Mt. Wash, that would be a great way for a bonus $$ after our wedding
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards