Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Totally OT - scrap gold

I just need to share my excitement. I knew the cost of gold was very high, but I didn't realize how much. I just sold about 28 grams of crappy gold earring, charms, and necklaces (14 KT) from my teens in the 90's and got $440 bucks in CASH from a Jewelry shop downtown.So any of you that need a little extra cash for your wedding and have some crappy scrap gold laying around, heres a way to make a quick buck!I tried to act all cool when he said "how does $440 sound?"... but I was bursting inside :) 

Re: Totally OT - scrap gold

• Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was JUST reading a post about this on another board!  I'm totally going to do it!
  • Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i sold a diamond past, present, future necklace and diamond & baguette earrings last summer, the necklace cost over $200 and the earrings were over $400 (i had checked with the jewelry store where they were purchased for exact prices). i walked out of the shop i sold them to with a grand total of $70. i'll never do that again!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I shouldn't say I was surprised though. there are sites all over the internet where you can look up the current price of gold and estimate what you'll get based on weight. My estimate was $400... but I didn't believe it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is awesome!! I am going to have to go through my jewelry box now, though I have a feeling I wouldn't have much to sell.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jenny - I think it's the price of gold thats through the roof right now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    so when you say 28 grams, can you give me an idea of how much jewlery that is?
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    28 grams is a pretty good amount (gold wise).  LOL, it's comparable to 1 serving of Chex mix (which is smaller than you'd think Chex Mix wise)

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I put it on a scale we have at the office to weigh mail and it came in at about .06 lbs so I did the conversion to grams from that.It was 2 gold necklaces, about 6 or 7 rings, a few pairs of gold hoops, and maybe 11 or 12 little charms.
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mmmmmmmmm Chex Mix!  ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh wow, ok- thats a lot of jewlery. I have a crappy gold peice with some diamonds in it- I wonder if I would get more for it at a pawn shop... its a low karat
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sara, are you finally selling your gold tooth? ;)

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about titanium?  I have 6 screws in my jaw...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Any metal that was once a part of you is triple the value! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL- I wish I had read this earlier! no way!  I'm keepin that sucker! I'm thinking of going platinum tho... I think the silver will go nice with my blue eyes...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards