September 2012 Weddings
Options

How do I do this?

So long story short, my mom has dementia and will not be at my wedding. My dad has a girlfriend who I'm assuming he's planning to bring - and I wouldn't exclude her because even though the entire situation is sad and bizarre she's actually very kind and has been very caring towards my mom. I don't know what to do - I am planning to include my mom's name in the invitations with my dad but I don't know if that makes sense. I know people may assume that my dad's girlfriend is my mom so I'm not sure how to address that (if at all). I want to figure out some way to acknowledge my mom without making it seem like she's dead. I just feel so mixed up about the whole thing, help!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: How do I do this?

• Options
    Together with their families,
    bride & groom
    etc. etc. etc.

Both of my parents are remarried and I was NOT about to make myself crazy trying to figure out how to make everyone happy.  That might be the best option for you as well :)
  • Options
    Agreed, that might be the easiest way in the invitations, and is actually a really popular wording now :)
  • Options
    I like that idea but FI wants it to be separated out! I think he's secretly trying to drive me crazy, haha. Maybe we'll talk about it again because I really can't think of a better way to deal with it. 

I'm wondering what the best way to acknowledge my mom's importance in some way. I know people typically do things for loved ones who have passed away so I haven't figured out a way to do that nicely. 
  • Options
    Well, who's paying for the wedding? That person/those people are the hosts, and would be listed there. For a list of parents' names, that goes in your ceremony program.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options
    Both sets of parents are paying. Maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing; I wish I didn't have such anxiety/ sadness about it (though I imagine that's normal). 
  • Options
    Hmm yeah this is a sticky situation especially with the girlfriend added in. I feel for you. In this case I guess i would do: Mr. and Mrs. John smith Mr. and Mrs. Bob jones Request the blah blah blah I guess it's just a little weird with the girlfriend in the mix.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options
    If your FI really wants it separated out, then I think it should be this:

Mr. and Ms. Dad & Girlfriend
    Ms. Mom
    Mr. and Mrs. FI's parents

I agree with Jacqui though, I really think "together with their families" would work best in this situation.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_how-do-i-do-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:146eaf4c-3dfa-45e2-9442-722ff37d0fa2Post:6073155e-0305-4057-9906-875fc9fab3db">Re: How do I do this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Together with their families, bride & groom etc. etc. etc. Both of my parents are remarried and I was NOT about to make myself crazy trying to figure out how to make everyone happy.  That might be the best option for you as well :)
    Posted by jacquiroxx[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree. It's what we're using. My parent sboth remarried, my dad is paying for most of it, my mom bought my dress, FI and I are paying for a nice chunk, FILs are doing the rehersal dinner... may get divorced.... ugh. So... I asked my dad if he would be offended. He said no, it's probably easiest. And that's what we're doing. =)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards