Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Holiday Inn Moon Twp

We just went to see the Holiday Inn in Moon Township on University Blvd. They went through the motions of explaining the package, which was rather cheap to begin with (compared to the other airport-area hotels we've seen) and then they offered us a 15% discount on a Saturday wedding. They also have most of the 2010 summer season available for the big ballroom (our wedding is too big for the small one). Anyhow, something sounds fishy here. Why so cheap? Why the huge discount up front? And why so much availability when everywhere else is rapidly filling up? Is the food any good there? Any advice/personal experience happily appreciated!

Re: Holiday Inn Moon Twp

• Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    nope i have no idea. are they getting ready to go through remodeling and will be under construction for awhile? i've been to a million things there-it's nothing to write home about, but it isn't bad either. where is your ceremony?feel free to post an intro for us-we like intro's! we like knowing who we're talking to and some details about the wedding-it makes it easier for us to be able to give advice/suggestions.ps: most of the girls have gone home by now, you may get more responses tomorrow during the day.
  • Options
    dvanskydvansky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...that does sound a little fishy.  My FIL's are actually staying there next week when they come for a visit.  I'll let you know if something was terribly wrong with it.  A discount for a Saturday?  That does sound fishy...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi there, I considered it for my reception, but never went to check it out. I had heard a few opinions from friends of the family that they were at events there and the food wasn't very good... It's possible with the other options available around that area as far as hotels go, if that is why they have so much availability. Did you try the Airport Marriott? They are a little more expensive but food is much better.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having our ceremony at St. Bernard Church in Mt. Lebanon... or so we think. We're meeting with the priest tomorrow (Thurs) to find out for sure. Then we'll worry about dates/reception locations. I've wondered if it was the food. We asked the guy if we went to the restaurant, would we be able to order stuff on the menu that is also prepared for the wedding... and he basically said they recently changed the menu at the restaurant because nobody liked the food before, so nothing on the menu is the same as what is catered for the receptions.... very fishy indeed. We have looked at the Marriott (and love it there)... not many dates to choose from, but hopefully that won't be a problem. We also didn't care too much for the lady we met with (director of sales). I don't think that would prevent us from selecting the Marriott in the end though. Its just the Holiday Inn's price is hard to beat...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As far as intro goes... We've just now started wedding planning because of a busy July, even though we got engaged 6 weeks ago... hopefully that won't bite us in the butt! We're haggling over the number of guests, but we figure to invite somewhere between 200 and 225 people. We've looked at all of the airport-area hotels, as well as a few in the south hills... Crowne Plaza by the mall, Hilton GI Southpointe, and Washington Meadowlands Holiday Inn.
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Off topic, but I love love love St. Bernard's!  What a beautiful church for a wedding :)  Congratulations!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    ashtennisashtennis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at the HI and the Airport Marriott.  Ditto on the lady at the Marriott.  Although I loved their ballroom..it was so modern.  I really liked the guy over at HI, he seemed REALLY flexible and the prices were cheap.  We had a black and gold wedding so the Pittsburgh theme in the hotel was perfect but we had too many people to fit in the small room which I liked.  We ended up not going with it because our guests would have to travel to far from the church to get there.  I have been to a wedding at the Hilton Garden Inn Southpointe and it was AWESOME.  I would have considered it for myself if our friends had not just got married there...didnt want to copy.
  • Options
    erinandrickerinandrick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    An old knottie popping in here, because I'm bored!  Anyway, was the guy that you met with at the HI named Neil Rodgers?  If so, then I assure you there is nothing fishy going on there at all.  Neil used to work at the Crowne Plaza and he did my wedding three years ago.  He was awesome - hands down the best vendor I worked with.  He is very professional, accomodating, prompt, etc.  Can't say enough good things about him.  As far as the actual venue, can't help you there, but all I can say is that you'd be in good hands with Neil. 
    Erin & Rick - 9/30/06
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it was Neil... and yes we thought he was wonderful! But we just can't figure out why he's offering us everything for so cheap! Which Crowne Plaza was he at before HI?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards