Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

ALDI Price Comparisons

I don't know if any of you may be interested, but DH and I went to ALDI this weekend and did some price comparisons with Wal-Mart.  Just thought I'd share, as it may be helpful to some of you.  I compared the ALDI brands with name brands from Wal-Mart, not their generic Valu Time.  The only thing I found to be more was the 1 lb ground turkey.I don't feel like re-typing, so hopefully this isn't too horribly formatted. Price Comparison - ALDI vs Wal-Mart Product ALDI Wal-Mart 16 ou Granola $1.69 $2.68 (Kashi 15 ou) 1 lb Gr Turkey (1.2lbs) $2.49 $1.96 (Perdue) 1 lb Shrimp $3.99 $7.38 1 lb lunchmeat $2.99 (prepackaged) $5+ (deli) 4-pack yogurt $1.69 (Fit & Active) $3.29 (Dannon Lite N Fit) Non-Dairy Creamer $1.95 $3.98 Salsa (16 ou) $1.49 $2.00 (Old El Paso) Coffee (12 ou) $2.99   Spaghetti Sauce (24 ou) $1.09 $1.94 (Ragu) Honeydew $1.69 $2.68 Dozen Large Eggs $1.09 $2.00 Body Wash $2.99 (24 ou) $2.94 (St. Ives 18 ou) 3 lb frozen chicken breasts $5.49 $7.00 Other prices at ALDI that I didn't compare Lemons/Limes $0.39 / each Cooking Spray $1.29 Parmesan Cheese (like Kraft) $2.39 Sandwich slice pickles $1.39 Wheat Bread $1.69

Re: ALDI Price Comparisons

• Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks!what were the brands like at aldi? FI and i looked it up online last year, but it seemed like alot of off brands so i wasn't sure about going.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They are off-brands - though I think someone said in my post asking about it last week that many of the items are actually brand name, just packaged differently.But - so far everything we've eaten from there has been good - no complaints yet.
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very interesting, Erica!JBean, I really like their Fit and Active brand!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Which AlDI's do you go to? I was thinking about talking DF into trying there to see if we could cut our $100+/wk bill down. :-D Thanks for the research!
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went to the one in Bethel Park.
  • Options
    blush2422blush2422 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree!  I have not had anything bad from ALDI.  They have great prices.  They had a bunch of the Fit & Active brand on sale a few weeks ago.  I stocked up on Turkey meatballs, turkey breakfast sausage, and Turkey burgers.  All were great!
  • Options
    LisaS1010LisaS1010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom swears by ALDI and loves that store.  She said all of the food is pretty good. Thanks for the comparison though!
    Lisa and Karl - 10/16/2010
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the comparison, Erica! I always wondered what the savings were like. I just checked their website and found  there is an Aldi not far from me here in Virginia. I think I may make the extra trip to see what its like. Our grocery bills have been so expensive lately :-/ I swear even the grocery stores are more expensive around here, ugh!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A little off topic, but Jen, where do you shop? We go to Safeway the most, and Giant for some different things/produce. Between coupons and my club card, I normally save almost 30% each week. I don't know what you consider $, but our weekly bill is normally $70-$80/week. Of course I never had to grocery shop on my own while in Pgh, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kim - we typically shop at Safeway because there is one down the street from us, but we are also close to a huge Wegmans. The normal prices at Safeway are outrageous, but using the club card does cut costs (a bag of cherries was $16.99 before the club card, $5.99 with it. Rip off!) We have been spending $100+/week, which seems like so much for me.  At wegman's we can typically spend a bit less (some of our normal buys have better prices there, like yogurt) but its a huge store and gets so, so crowded.
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMO, Giant is definitely cheaper than Safeway or Weggies.  Occasionally, Safeway will have better sales...it is also the closest store to me, so we do end up running there sometimes.  Plus at Wegmans I am always tempted by their more gourmet things...mmm!We've been totally spoiled this summer because DH has really been sale shopping and hitting multiple stores since he has been off.  I hate giving up a lot of my weekend time to go to multiple stores!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards