Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

finally.

FI has a meeting as we speak with the coast guard to turn in his application and find out what else he needs to do. i finally gave in and agreed to move forward with this process, oh, about 4 months ago. however, it has taken me losing my job (again. loser.) for him to actually stop playing countless hours of mind-sucking warcraft for him to actually finish his application. now they will schedule him for a medical exam. if he does not pass (which, with his bad knees, hips and exercise enduced allergies, we are unsure whether he will or not, even though the coast guard employs some rather "hefty" and "out of shape" individuals), then we can move on with our lives. i can look into opening my own business (which i desperately want to do NOW) and he can sit and mope and pout about not being in the CG (fun for him, i know). but if he does pass the exam, then no decisions will be made about the positions he is applying for until next year. february, april, june & july to be exact. argh. nothin like draaaggggiiinnngggg this out some more. i just want to know if he gets in or not, so we can plan on staying here or moving and i can work on looking in to opening a business here or elsewhere. it's frustrating. anyways. today is a slightly important day for him/us. here goes nothin!/end....ramble? *shrug* had to tell someone, and fred the peace plant isn't very talkative today.

Re: finally.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What kind of business?
  • Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *looks sheepishly around* a candy store. i know, seems lame. i've always wanted to own my own though. i heart candy. i worked in a candy store for 4 yrs many moons ago, and it was such a stepping stone that i've always wanted to give that experience to someone else. i'm sure that will never happen like that, but in my mind, it will dammit! lol. i want to make gift baskets, and fun displays and be the old woman that shows up at her 25 yr old candy store that gets teary eyed when the little girl that used to come in 25 yrs ago is now a mom herself and bringing in her little girl to the shop. again, will never likely happen, but hey, i can dream.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good luck with moving on, whichever way his application takes you.And just out of curiosity, is this a George Orwell reference?  fred the peace plant isn't very talkative today...I swear the one character in an Orwell work names his plant.
  • Options
    EmilyBerdellEmilyBerdell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think a candy store is a fantastic idea! When I lived in NYC several years ago they opened one up right across from Macy's - Dylan's Candy Bar. I think there's a website...you should check it out. It's way trendy and super fun. My dad always says - find what you love and figure out how to make a living at it. I truly agree. When you love what you do everyday, you're much happier with life in general. At least I am. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    good luck with the coast guard! And a candy store sounds so cute! Ever heard of Baldingers? Its a tiny family owned candy store in Zelienople. It got bought out and was going to get torn down but people made such a fuss about it that someone stepped in and just moved it elsewhere. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you do become a military spouse, having your own business is a GREAT thing! With technology today, you could still run it from Pittsburgh as long as you had an employee. You could also run it from the base and from an internet website. Perhaps you could offer a "complete candy buffet" deal for brides and the like! (You would rent the glassware, come set it up, provide the candy and boxes, etc.) Just an idea!I admire your entrepreneurial spirit. Small business makes this country what it is. I've been toying with starting a business as well, but am too scared and haven't been able to find my niche. I think your idea sounds great if it is what you always wanted to do!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sara, DH loves Balldingers!  He took me there one time and it is awesome they have a lot of stuff you don't normally find other places.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha, i can't say that it is a reference, but knowing FI, who named the plant, and named him fred, it could be! he was an english major in undergrad and knows more about literature than i will ever care to know. i never questioned his naming of our plant, but now i will, bc you are very likely correct with the reference!btw-he named the plant without discussing it with me. one day he was talking about fred, and i was so effin confused. "fred? fred who??" his response? "fred, our plant, DUH!" oh, right, bc i was supposed to know that our plant's name was fred. cuz he came with a nametag on his leaf. but, 1.5 yrs later, fred it is. and fred is a freakin beast! i do not want to be the one that tries to move him when we leave here. he takes up so much space.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh yay!  That makes me so happy that you've been there. I have a friend who used to live so close that we would ride our bikes over there and buy a ton of penny candy. I do Ukranian eggs- and thats the only place I've found that carries the supplies!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, they have that ethnic food place next door.  I think we went one time on our way to golf in Zeli, it seems like the place that would make for good childhood memories.
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, GL to your FI!  I hate the not-knowing too...when DH was in grad school it was impossible to plan anything because we had no idea where he would end up finding a job.  And I was reading an article recently about how candy sales are way up in the recession because people feel the need to treat themselves to something small and candy makes everyone happy!  :)
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck with the decision!  It's frustrating to be kept waiting like that.Emily, I too was going to mention Dylan's Candy Bar!  Jennybean, if you're ever in NYC you NEED to visit.Daveys, are you talking about "Keep the Aspidistra Flying" by Orwell?  I'm pretty sure the main character talks to his plants in that one :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, that's it LaFemme.  I saw the movie version "A Merry War" years ago and DH has the book....but for the life of me I can't remember what it's name is lol.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks girls! i hope to be able to open a store of my own one day! kwynn, that's a novel idea. i'd like to be able to work in my store daily, but with the way the CG is moving at snail pace, maybe i should just move forward with it. and actually, i just found at the most recent bridal show that someone has started a company called "pittsburgh candy buffet" and they do exactly what you suggested. all i could think was "why the he$$ didn't i think of that?? so freakin simple and easy, and yet these boys thought of it?" as they sat in their chairs and paid no attention to anyone walking by. no smiles, no great gimmicks, nothin, nada, just a few jars on the table with some candy in it. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF IT?!?my mom & sis have suggested a vintage candy store. the old candies that you can't find much anymore. retro of sorts. it's a thought. :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I've never seen the movie!  Is it good?

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's pretty good, although I'm not familiar with the novel, so I don't know how true it is to the book.Richard E. Grant and Helana (sp?) Bohnam Carter are in it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooo the coast guard! Good luck to your FI. My cousin is in the coast guard. He attended the CG Academy and is now stationed in San Francisco.  He is one of the most well mannered men I have ever met in my life, as are many of his CG friends.The waiting will be tough. DH has a conditional offer from a government agency for a very awesome position, and now we're just waiting and waiting and waiting for the next steps. Its frustrating, but the job will be well worth it in the end. Its his dream job so I'd never complain.I love the candy store idea! I worked at a candy store for 3 years while in HS/college. I absolutely loved that job! I also loveeee Baldingers! I used to go to summer camp in Zeli, and we'd stop there every summer on the way and stock up on candy!
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck jennybean with the candy store!  And I hope you get some closure soon with the CG and your FI.Sara - I also love Baldinger's!  We always took our kids there several times a year.  They loved filling up their baskets and I always bought their birthday pinatas from there.Where exactly did they move the store to in Zelienople?  My Dad and I drove by the old store (now demolished) yesterday and lamented the fact that we couldn't stop in and get some of those HUGE chocolate covered strawberries - yum!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    GL with the CG situation- many vibes of patience coming your way! I know I'd need them! :-P Very cool idea about the candy store. I too have thought about my own business someday...so many different directions I could go. Translation, clothing stores, something WR, who knows.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    UPDATE!because he got in there today to turn his stuff in, he is in under a different deadline! he needs to have all of his medical records in by sept 14 so they can schedule his exam and he will know by december whether they are offering him a commission or not! WHEW!now i have to feel like i'm back at work again and scrounge up all of the medical records that he hasn't gotten yet, or that got lost, and find the one dr that they are questioning, who has since retired, and get him to produce all of FI's records. the CG told him today that he should pass the medical exam, all that they are unsure about is some psych records from 2003-2004. time to find that dr and get him to write a report stating that FI is not crazy anymore! wooooo!candy sales are up you say?!? well then i'm sold!! candy is just always fun, always happy. i used to love giving free lollipops to the cute lil kids that would come in to the store with their parents (not that i was allowed to give away candy for free, but i figured a $0.05 safety pop was more than ok...says me at least!).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the candy store idea...so cute! You should just do it :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh i so want to! i have for so many years now. and since my parents have purchased their own business, it makes me want to even more! i love to brainstorm about ways to drum up business, ways to display things, create little gift bags and baskets....*sigh* i just hope once i do it i float and not drown miserably! candy is happy. who doesn't like candy? and who can be unhappy while in a candy store? now, what to name the store.... :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great, December seems much more manageable!  Good luck helping him find all his forms and such... boys never know where that stuff is located, do they :) Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4  

Vacation
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Candy store sounds like a FUN idea, and you could have so much fun with naming it! There is a cute little candy store over here in Sewickley. I love walking over there on days when I can't stand sitting at my desk anymore. and the guy who owns the place is SO nice! His prices are a bit outrageous for candy but who cares! I'll pay it for candy. Cause like someone above me said candy makes me happy
    image.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OH! is that the guy that owns the store that has vintage/retro candy in it in sewickley?? my mom & sis saw it recently (while looking for empty storefronts to open a second grooming shop in) and mentioned it to me. i wanted to go out to see his shop and do some research/sleuthing!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I Heart Baldinger's!  It's sooo yummy and I have so many memories of it from when I was a kid and my grandparents took me there, gave me and my brother a buck, and had us buy what we wanted!  You should definitely open up a candy store, that would be SOOOO cool!  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG. dylan's candy bar is my inspiration. i heart them. i want to work THERE!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can I go into the candy store business with you?  mmmmmm...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards