Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

**Sara**

I do Ukranian eggs too!  I picked it up as a hobby a few years ago.  I usually order my supplies from the place in Minnesota, but it would be nice to have a local place to stop in to.
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: **Sara**

• Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *butting in*I also do Ukrainian eggs!  I don't know a single person my age who does them- yay Knot :)  I always get my stuff from my grandma in Erie; it would be nice to know of a place in Pittsburgh to go to.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow!  I didnt know anyone else did Pskansky!  ...I'm sure thats spelled wrong.  Anyway- my Grammie tried to get people together a few years ago to all do them together around Easter.  I'll let you guys know this year if you and your familes would like to do something like that. I'm not very good at the art...I have zero patience with all those colors- but I'm a pro at getting the goo out! lol- my family always has me do theirs for them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, there are 3 of us!  That is suprising, haha.My grandma's cousin does them, and has given them as gifts over the years.  I found a class at CCAC two years ago and took it for fun.  Even though my hands shake, I've gotten pretty good at it!  (Well, good according to my own standards.)  Definitely let me know next year Sara, I haven't really found anyone in real life who shares my hobby.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've def never found someone my age who does it.  It seems like a dying tradition...which is sad.  I gave one to my FMIL for her birthday once... I think she liked it-lol, its on display anyway
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, I know all my grandma's sisters and brothers do it but it just doesn't seem to be passed down as much anymore.Do you do the get-together over Orthodox Easter or regular Easter?  :)

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it was a couple years ago- but regular easter. We didnt actually do it on Easter Sunday, but some days before that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    *butting in*  My DH is Ukrainian and his Dad's 'friend''s son makes us Ukrainian eggs every year. I need somewhere nice to display them. They are sooo beautiful. I don't know how you have the patience to create them, but I admire it. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a bunch in a wire 'chicken' that I got from Macy's.  It's a Martha product, apparently it's either decorative or for people who have the need to carry fresh eggs in from their chicken coop.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha, I have that same wire chicken but from Target!

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I need the wire chicken!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The wire chicken adds just the right amount of country to my contemporary/semi-modern home.  :)The worst is when you've spent hours on one egg and right before finishing, you drop it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    ugh!  That is so bad!!  Sometimes I would try to salvage it- a ton of super glue.  Of course that never works.
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oddly enough, my best friend does this too!  Her eggs are gorgeous!  She has a really pretty clear glass stand that holds 9 eggs - 3 rows for 3.  And then she has larger eggs (um, like this awesome ostrich egg!) on other clear stands.  They look very modern.  Of course when we were hanging out this weekend, one of our friends BROKE one.  I thought she was going to cry!  :(
  • Options
    jms173jms173 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I couldn't help butting in as well, but I also do Ukranian eggs!!  My Gram just started teaching me a couple months ago!!  I love all of the intricate designs and how the egg looks when you finally take all of the wax off of it =)  I haven't been able to do the eggs in awhile though because of my new job.......
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So funny!  I wonder how many closet pysanky-ers there are in the world.  Maybe more than we think...
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards