Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Can your flip-flops kill you?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32453516?GT1=43001Since it is slow....I'm sure many of you have seen this today. What do you think? Will it change your habits or love of flip-flops? This is how I see it: all of the nasty stuff gets on the bottom of your shoes anyway, just the flip flops leave your feet more exposed. I don't wear them a lot anyway. If I haven't contracted an infection in the 15 years+ I've been wearing them, why should I worry now?

Re: Can your flip-flops kill you?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't see how it's just flip-flops.  I mean - if they harbor all these horrible germs, wouldn't all sandals?  And, for that matter, all shoes - at least the soles of them?So maybe we should all wear plastic bags over our feet that we change right before we enter each new location, to avoid tracking any germs?I'll continue to wear my flip-flops at every available opportunity. :)  I <3 them. Oh, and I don't think I touch my flip-flops more than any other shoe, I'd think I touch them less since it's easy to slide my foot in and out of them without having to touch them.
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I haven't contracted an infection in the 15 years+ I've been wearing them, why should I worry now?I think that says it the best.And it goes that way with most things. We've all ben at least ok so far with doing things the way we do them, but now I guess people have time and money (some recession!) to waste on research on flip flops, and this morning on GMA they were talking about getting kids to stop eating lunch meats because of saltI mean we're doing ok. I wish they'd just stop trying to give us reaons to worry and let us (and our happy little feet) go on about our lives (eating sandwiches :P)
    image.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not worried...  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does this mean I should stop licking the bottoms of my flippy floppies?
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    maybe you should only lick them if you've been some place super sticky haha
    image.
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that the only way my flip flops could kill me is if I tripped while wearing them and fell off of a bridge/rooftop/cliff.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha Stacy, agreed!  This seems overblown.I'll be honest- I really dislike wearing flipflops.  I don't think they're that comfy and I hate the noise they make!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ugh I couldn't even read the whole article it was so ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, leave it to the media to sensationalize something so ridiculous on a slow news day. the University of Miami emergency mobile flip-flop lab...I think researchers and scientists have a lot more to worry about than the germs on the bottoms of shoes. How about they focus on fighting cancer, diabetes, etc.?
  • Options
    cobrien1976cobrien1976 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw the segment on Today, yesterday and find it funny!!  I LOVE FLIP FLOPS!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was reading this yesterday at work and just bust out laughing. My favorite is when the article talks about your flip flops harboring S. aureus. Yes, they probably do...but, where is most S. aureus found??? On your skin. It's an F-ing skin and nasal bacterium. Humans are its natural reservoir. (And, those names should be italicized, but I don't know how to do that on the boards). They aren't anymore dangerous than any other shoe. This article is one BIG stupid joke. The media likes to blow things out of proportion all of the time. I agree with Erica, I don't usually even touch my flip flops, just slide my feet in and out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards