Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

More random Pittsburgh news

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/19/health/main5252786.shtml[/url]What do you ladies think about this?

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
Vacation

Re: More random Pittsburgh news

• Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think....i want to read the complaint and see how she is getting around the fact that you cannot sue a school. but besides that fact-i think she gets grouped into the "my child could never, ever, ever do anything wrong, so anything that is wrong with them is obviously somebody else's fault, not mine or my child's" category. and i hate those people. i hope she gets laughed off of the docket.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    that's ridiculous. I'd like to see that go in front of a judge. Just like the pro se crap from prisoners I used to read as a clerk. ugh. In a totally non related announcement - Toby Keith's I love this bar is coming to the burgh!!!!!!!
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...at first I thought it was ridiculous. Then I read about the anti-discrimination titles, etc. and I guess I can kind of see that view. But in general I think it's ridiculous. Guidance counselors can't hover around every student constantly. IMO, good parenting could have nipped this in the bud. There had to be signs, right? That she had anorexic tendencies, that she was being bullied, that at least something was wrong. Feel free to disagree, but those are just my first thoughts. But of course I'm not a parent yet either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I believe schools can be sued and frequently are, Jenny. I might be wrong, but we have always been told strict compliance with IEP's is necessary due to lawsuits. Playground equipment has been removed from a lot of playgrounds due to lawsuits, etc. It is ridiculous the above lawsuit. "Some other students tried to shame the boys about the conduct. However, no faculty member or other school official intervened," the lawsuit said. This really gets my goat. Parents always claim teachers due nothing to stop bullying. We try in between our day of educating, grading, mentoring, and teaching moral lessons which should be taught at home. (Half the time, students bully us too, believe it or not). But there are bullies in this world and we can't stop every remark, nor is in the best interest of the kid to do so. Part of independence is learning how to deal with people, not just making it puppies and rainbows 24-7. And the teacher intervening can make it worse for the bullied student as well. How does the mom know that no faculty member tried? Is she taking the 12 year old's word for it?Schools are places for education and learning, not the place IMO for mental health disorders to be dealt with (especially mental health disorders that are not related to learning and education, but related to health). As a parent, she should have monitored her daughter more carefully and got her counseling before this all occurred. This is beyond the scope of the school's ability. I wish people would parent and not rely on schools nowadays to be everything.Sorry, hot button issue as a former educator. I'm just really passionate about education and wish schools could be the institutions that they used to be.
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I don't think a lawsuit is the solution here.  Saying that bullying caused someone's anorexia is a simplistic and wrong view of eating disorders, in my opinion.That said, I think that this sort of bullying can deprive its victims of educational opportunities.  If a girl is so miserable about insults and attacks on her that she doesn't want to go to school, it's a problem that a parent might not have the resources to correct.  The student obviously needs counseling and treatment beyond what the school can give for, and I don't have a clear idea how the school actually reacted to the bullying, but it didn't seem like a healthy atmosphere for her to be in either way.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with you Kwynn!  I try my hardest to stop bullying, I take the bullied child into my room and talk to them privately, I often send e-mails to the parents, I send the bullier to the office.  HOWEVER, in a world where parents run schools....all a parent has to dois come in, say not my child, they don't bully, and nothing is ever done about it....very frusterating...GRRRRRRRRRR
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards