Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Should I be spiteful or nice? Haha

Tomorrow, my DH is supposed to have off work (they are off every other Friday for the 9-80 schedule). However, like last Friday and other days, a committee that he is involved with through work has an event, a golf tournament.I have attended several events for this committee as both a wife and volunteer/to help my husband (drove around for Meals on Wheels, for example). However, I keep applying for jobs at this company and cannot get even an interview. No one cares (except you Knotties, of course) because all these people have jobs. They promise that they'll keep looking for me, etc, but no results after six months. I've attended events at least twice a month thus far for networking, including tennis lessons, annual dinner, awards dinner, fishing trip, trip to an amusement park, sponsored happy hours, volunteer events, etc.Tomorrow, my DH is supposed to help run this golf tournament. He asked me last night if I could go and take photos for him as a way of helping out. I said yes because I am totally bored and don't want to sit at home. I also want to spend time with him and he has to work the rest of the weekend. But now, after not getting a job again at the company, specifically with this committee, and not even getting an interview despite proper following up (and this is about the 10th job I've applied to there for which I'm qualified), I just don't feel like going. I have volunteered for the company and gone to many things I didn't want to to be social, network, and just help out the community, as well as increase the turnout numbers for these events. Why should I go and volunteer and take photos for your committee? Is that mean/spiteful? I just don't feel the loyalty to this company that others who work there do. Sorry for the wall of text!

Re: Should I be spiteful or nice? Haha

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, not sure what to tell you....I'd still go, since you already said yes and it is something to do afterall, but I don't have a strong opinion. I would feel the same way though.
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you have every right to feel spiteful and annoyed and frustrated, but I think you should still go the event- you already said you would, you'll get to spend time with your husband, etc.I do think it's really crappy, though, that they haven't been following through with helping you to find a job.  Maybe in the future attend social things like the dinner as your husband's date, but stop the volunteering and leadership UNLESS you want to do it for social or other reasons- don't do it as a way to get an in with the company since they're not reciprocating.  It sounds like this is your main social group down there, though, and I'd hate to see you stop seeing them at all on principle.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely be annoyed. Chances are that they are just going to keep taking advanatge of you volunteering because they know that you'll do it and that you're trying to get in with the company, but there's no motivation for them to hire you since they can just keep stringing you along. I know my personality and by the point where you are at, having applied for 10 jobs for which you are qualified and not hearing anything, I probably would have snapped by now.Sorry that the job hunt continues to be so frustrating for you :(

Vacation

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would do it, but while throwing some 'tude their way. And then stop volunteering. Jerkstores.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What Molly said!:)I would go this time and take photos of your DH, since he asked you to.  But I would only take photos of your DH.And I wouldn't do any more volunteering for a long, long time.Maybe they will get the picture (no pun intended).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards