September 2012 Weddings

caterer question

Hi everyone! First post on this board--

We just booked our venue, and we're looking into caterers. We're going to schedule an appointment with a caterer within the next few weeks. What I'm wondering is if it's normal to have a tasting during the first meeting with a caterer. We live about two hours away from the caterer, AND my mom is coming with us, so I feel like we should make the most of the trip.

So what do you think-- ask to have a tasting during the first meeting, or will we look silly?

Re: caterer question

• I don't feel like you will look silly. Not if you explain the distance situation and let him know that you will have the MOB there! If anything, it shows that you are very seriously considering them as a caterer for your big day. They will see it as an investment and will hope for a return from their efforts!

(or at least...in myperfect little wedding planning world..that's how it would happen! lol)
  • I'm planning from a distance, and most of my caterers that we're considering have offered to do a 'mini tasting' for my parents to help narrow down our choices, and once we book and my FI and I can get back up for a visit this fall, they'd do a full tasting for us.  A good caterer will adjust to fit your needs.  If they won't adjust here, then perhaps you should be looking at a different caterer!

Anniversary

• Thank you, ladies! We worked it out-- we met with the caterer last weekend (he was great!) and this weekend we're going down to a wedding at the same venue that we booked to taste their menu. Exciting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards