Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Uhhhh.....

We met with our priest again yesterday. We have been in email communication a few times since the last meeting. No mention of the dispensation situation.So, I bring it up at the meeting. He says that we need a delegation? I think that's the other "d" word he used. And it involves writing to the Pittsburgh diocese and the local Roman Catholic priest in Oakdale for permission to marry us. Not to tell them he's marrying us, but to ask permission. But he assures us that this is very simple, and shouldn't take much time. He said the thing that would take the longest is that it "might sit on someone's desk for a bit before they get to it." I'm pulling my hair out. Some priest I've never met at a church I've never gone to gets to decide if I get married in 90 days. I know how the Catholic church works with paperwork issues. It takes people 2 years to annulments. I asked what the worst case scenario was. He said that he could still sign the papers, but that our marriage would be invalid in the eyes of the church. Great. I didn't even have the courage to ask how someone rectifies such a situation if the worst case scenario comes to pass. I haven't told our parents any of this. I don't want to freak everyone out. Because there are currently 113 addressed and stamped envelopes sitting in the office for a wedding at 2:30 on November 28 and I honestly can't even deal with the worst case scenario. So, uh, can I have major vibes for this delegation thingy? PS - Neulsi, did you get your FI's status straightened out? Was it this much of a pain?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Uhhhh.....

• Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No advice because I'm not Catholic but vibes. You might want to page N because she's off work all week and has family in town to wedding prep and may just be skimming the boards.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i have no advice to give, but lots of vibes that this works out for you!  good luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sending tons of vibes your way! I know nothing about how the Catholic church works (though I was Catholic growing up), but I find it absolutely ridiculous that your marriage would be invalid, and that someone you've never met would decide that.
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Many many many vibes, Bel.  I hope that everything works out.Could you write a personal letter to the priest that will decide?  Or even make an appointment and try to see him?  I think that meeting you or hearing your intentions might help a favorable decision - hopefully quickly.  GL!
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No advice, but big BIG vibes to you!  I hope this gets resolved quickly and painlessly.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    julieyarzjulieyarz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is my understanding that this is usually resolved perrty quickly, good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I must have missed the post with the background on this, but good luck and sending vibes your way!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!It was easy for me. It turned out that FI/His Family was not a marionite and was Roman Catholic, so we didn't need to go through anything.I will say that my priest did drag his feet about it and finally told us it was fine like 2 months before the wedding. He always seemed to think it wasn't a big deal. I hope it turns out OK for you! Many vibes that it does.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards