Wedding Invitations & Paper

Using the computer to print the names of guests?

Is it  considered tacky to use the computer to print the invitation names instead of handwriting them? I just feel like it would make them look nicer & less chance of making a mistake? 

Re: Using the computer to print the names of guests?

• cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_using-computer-print-names-of-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:037e7a17-f431-4651-b40f-951c30226b34Post:a2462ac5-460b-48f9-a0fc-f83f07ec8d7f">Using the computer to print the names of guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it  considered tacky to use the computer to print the invitation names instead of handwriting them? I just feel like it would make them look nicer & <strong>less chance of making a mistake?</strong> 
    Posted by corbinse[/QUOTE]

This is why you should have ordered extra envelopes.  Etiquette says to handwrite.  Have fun! :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_using-computer-print-names-of-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:037e7a17-f431-4651-b40f-951c30226b34Post:6719c93f-2e4d-4b9c-89ff-a9e01a3dab27">Re: Using the computer to print the names of guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think its less tacky since the invention of computers with pretty fonts. You could always print the names in a light gray font and trace over it with a black pen. Then it looks a bit more handwritten. I think thats what I'm going to do.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

I didn't do this, so I could be wrong.. but I think this would be harder than actually writing it though.  It would be more of a pain trying to match your writing to a font instead of just writing in a way that feels comfortable to you.  Not to mention, if you don't line it up perfectly, I think it will look awful.

Edit: Not to mention, if you take the time to write over the font, you're just doubling your workload.  This doesn't sound fun to me.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We used the computer for ours. I know etiquette says its a no-no, and I was against it at first until one of my friends did it on her invites last fall. We used a nice font and I asked opinions of my close friends and family and they said it looked just fine.
  • I asked this question a few weeks ago, and the majority of people who responded said it wasn't a problem and that they themselves are also using the computer to print addresses on their envelopes.  I'm using a fancy script font - I chose French Script MT - and they came out very nicely!  You can also download free fonts at www.dafont.com. Just make sure you have plenty of extra envelopes for mistakes.
  • I've read handwritten and computer printed with nice fonts is now accepted; not so much labels.
  • I suggest you use Lucinda Handwriting or another similar font.

• i will be using the comp to print the names an addresses my hand writing is horrible.
  • If your parents' names are on the top line of your invitations, then your parents are extending the invitation to each guest.

My mom is very old-school etiquette, and she insisted on hand-writing every envelope because SHE was extending the invitations, so they were coming from HER.  I sat with her and stuffed/stamped/mailed them.  But she insisted on addressing HER invitations to the event SHE was hosting.

Before you start running envelopes through your computer, you need to have a conversation with the woman who is really extending the invitations, and ask HER how SHE wants HER invitations to be addressed...
  • i think that its perfectly fine to print them. i dont think i have received any handwritten envelopes in like the last 10 years.

i handwrote the save the date envelopes because i bought colored gel pens to use on the stds but changed my mind on the design so we didnt need them. also i dont have a printer hooked up to my laptop regulary and didnt want to deal with it for the stds.

i will be printing mine on the computer or i might try a few printed in light ink and writing over them in a cool pen to see how easy it is and how it looks.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
  • well, no worries there -- I can always get more envelopes, I just liked the idea that they would all look nice and the same. : ) thanks! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_using-computer-print-names-of-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:037e7a17-f431-4651-b40f-951c30226b34Post:6719c93f-2e4d-4b9c-89ff-a9e01a3dab27">Re: Using the computer to print the names of guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could always print the names in a light gray font and trace over it with a black pen. Then it looks a bit more handwritten. I think thats what I'm going to do.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

^ Also what I'm doing.
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    We printed ours. We both have terrible handwriting, and I figure I'd rather have something that looked nice that "violated etiquette" instead of something that followed the rules and looked like crap.

It's not like I was deciding to invite 300 people and not feed them, but wore a $10,000 dress ... printed envelopes seem like a "victim-less crime" to me.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2010
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_using-computer-print-names-of-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:037e7a17-f431-4651-b40f-951c30226b34Post:1ecd1fc9-aad2-46de-8a27-44258a214e69">Re: Using the computer to print the names of guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We printed ours. We both have terrible handwriting, and I figure I'd rather have something that looked nice that "violated etiquette" instead of something that followed the rules and looked like crap. It's not like I was deciding to invite 300 people and not feed them, but wore a $10,000 dress ... printed envelopes seem like a "victim-less crime" to me.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

Meg, you're awesome!</div>
  • My parents are hosting, but they know I'm a paper snob, LOL. And they don't really have an opinion on the invitations or addressing. I'm having the reply cards returned to me because I'm the one keeping the guest list. Basically they said, "here's how much we're giving you. Tell us what to pay and when." I'm handling all the details, but on the wedding day, they are hosting.

I am printing my entire invitation suite myself along with the outer envelope (I'm doing a pocket-style invitation with a tab that will act as the inner envelope).

planning

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_using-computer-print-names-of-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:037e7a17-f431-4651-b40f-951c30226b34Post:87c1977b-dcf4-4839-a5d1-32b1ab758216">Re: Using the computer to print the names of guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Using the computer to print the names of guests? : Meg, you're awesome!
    Posted by Musicheals71[/QUOTE]

Why, thank you. I am aren't I? LOL.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • We used the computer. Stamps are tacky and if I hand wrote them they would look horrible ... with the computer you can choose your font color and size and they actually look very nice. I showed some ladies I work with to see if they liked them and they loved them
    RSVP: AUGUST 18,2010 image 256 Are Invited image 191 Are ready to Party!
    image 65 Will be missing out image 0 Where Are you? We can't wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards