Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

WR? Minister Pay

I have a question of how much to pay our minister. He was the Chaplin were FI and I went to school. We asked him because we were pretty close with him throughout college. He also married friends of ours a year ago. I am just not sure how much to pay him. We already paid for his hotel for two nights. What other things should we pay for? He made a lot of comments when we did our counseling about people who didnt give him lots of money and they spent a lot on the wedding (not sure if he was talking about our friend). Originally I thought he might do it for free with us paying for hotel and a small - but I got the assumption that he may want the typical amount that you pay for a wedding. I dont want to act cheap -what do you think

Re: WR? Minister Pay

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm honestly not sure what "typical" even is. We are giving our priest $150. We have no prior connection to him but basically needed a Catholic priest and he graciously took us on.

Vacation

• Options
    edited December 2011
    see I dont even know what is typical. I guess that is the problem
  • Options
    jms173jms173 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My priest recommended $100-200 -- I'm not sure if this is typical like you were saying, it is just what he recommended...
  • Options
    pugnpenguinpugnpenguin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should just ask him what he usually charges when he does a wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would- but see I think he doesnt charge- there is no church fee where he works if you go to the college and we arent getting married in a church. I think he just expects a donation. Just curious what everyone was doing. We will be generous. I just wanted to make sure we were in the right ball park
  • Options
    pugnpenguinpugnpenguin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That makes sense. From what I've heard it is about 150-200. You could also ask him if there are any specific things that need a donation at the church (like if there is a missionary or someone that the church sponsors, that you could make a donation too)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We paid our priest $125. We were told that was the going at rate at my parent's parish.
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a tough time remembering, but I think we made a $150 donation to the church...we just gave it to the priest in a thank you card so he could do whatever he wanted with it.My mom didn't feel like that was enough and made a separate donation from my parents.  Sigh.  ;)
  • Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our minister charged $150.  Seems pretty standard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards