Wedding Invitations & Paper

Couple of Questions About Putting Invites Together

Have a few questions before we start putting together and addressing our invites. We have the following:

Blank outer envelope
Invitation
Reception Card
Reply Card and pre-addressed envelope
Tissue papers to cover the invite and reception card (or reply, they're the same size)

We opted NOT to order inner envelopes because it added a TON to the cost, as well as weight. We weren't expecting the tissue papers, so it's just a nice bonus, since we don't have an inner envelope to protect the pieces.

So my questions:
- Can we just put everything together in the outer envelope and mail it? Is it improper to not have one?
- If so, should we consider a DIY ribbon or wraparound for the inner pieces?
- Does it matter that the inner envelope won't say the guest names? Is it enough to just label on the outer envelope?
- Do we need our return address on the outer envelope? I was under the impression you DON'T need to do that for wedding invites, but now I'm paranoid.

Sorry for so many questions. I'm just a little overwhelmed with all the "rules" and getting different input from everyone!

THANK YOU!

Re: Couple of Questions About Putting Invites Together

• - Can we just put everything together in the outer envelope and mail it?

Yes. Just make sure you're using the proper postage :)

- Is it improper to not have one?
    Is it improper not to have an inner envelope you mean? I've received 7 wedding invitations in the last 18 months and only one had an inner envelope. IMHO it's a waste of paper and energy but that's my personal, not etiquette related opinion.

- If so, should we consider a DIY ribbon or wraparound for the inner pieces?
    you could. again personal preference. put everything in the envelope then open as if you were your guest. does it all fall out? maybe you should if it does, or if it will look more finished with a ribbon/wrap.

Does it matter that the inner envelope won't say the guest names?
    if you do an inner envelope, I would put the guests names on it / indicate if they get +1 etc.

Is .it enough to just label on the outer envelope?
    Yes, if you're not doing an inner, absolutely. Just make sure it's clear who's invited, or make it clear on the RSVP.

Do we need our return address on the outer envelope? I was under the impression you DON'T need to do that for wedding invites, but now I'm paranoid.

YES! Most people put it on the back flap (I think that's considered more formal)

Good luck :)
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks! So now my only real concern is that we printed the return address on the reply card envelope, but not on the outer envelope. We should've had it printed on both. Bummer.

I don't know what to do! Handwriting it will look bad (in my opinion. My handwriting isn't great), and I prefer not to order a hand stamp because it will probably be really hard to match the font and color to fit with the rest of the stationary.

Anyone have recommendations where to buy a custom stamp (that also isn't super pricey)?
  • I brought a stamp with our return address on it from Vistaprint - I had just the address put on it instead of names, so that we can continue to use it after the wedding!
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    I like inner envelopes because they make addressing easier but you don't need them.  Since you didn't have the return address printed on the outer envelope, a stamp always works, but practice with it first and invest in a more expensive ink pad at Michael's or Hobby instead of a cheapo one - they tend to distribute ink better, and will have less smudging.  If you want it to look really clean, you can always buy some embossing powder as well - while the ink is still wet, sprinkle the powder over the ink, heat it up over a stove burner (embossed-side up), and it will seal everything in a nice raised fashion.  It takes a couple tries but it's not hard to do, and embossing powder is cheap and comes in many colors - I'm embossing the program covers and menu cards for our wedding.  I find that since the powder literally melts, it covers small flaws in my stamping.

As for the ribbon, I'm not sure what others' experiences are with these, but my postman doesn't like them - he says they can get caught in the sorting machine, and it adds $0.20/envelope in postage to have them hand-sorted.  Honestly it's more formal to leave the ribbon off - the frills and things aren't traditional.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sorry, what's an inner envelope and what's its purpose? 
    we have one envelope that contains the invite, the rsvp card and the matching envelope.
  • The outer envelope is the one you address and put a postage stamp on - obviously.   The inner envelope is slightly smaller (to fit into the outer), and hand written with just the names of the invitees, such as "Mr. and Mrs. Henry Blake".   The invitation, RSVP card and envelope are then placed inside the inner envelope.  The tissue paper covered the face of the invitation.

It seems like any more, the inner envelope and tissue paper components are becoming a thing of the past.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards