Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Pre-Nups/Post Nups??

So my Grandfather springs on me TODAY that he wants me to get a prenup.  We've talked about it before, but it  was months ago and I figured he either forgot/didn't want to anymore.Question questions - Anyone know how many days before the wedding the pre nup has to be drawn up?Anyone know anything about post nups and if they're legit in Pennsylvania?I really despise the idea of these contracts but my Grandfather wants it done.  I know I should tell him what I want but, that's not gonna happen.

Married 9/19/09
Me: 27 // DH: 31
TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

Re: Pre-Nups/Post Nups??

• Options
    New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, but I'm unclear why your g-pa's opinion on this matters?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I WISH I had a need to even think about a pre-nup. :P Sorry, girl, I'm of no help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Jenn(newto)  It's your marriage, not his.
  • Options
    hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Indeed, it is my wedding - I completely agree. But it's his money that's in my trust funds, so I'm guessing that his major concern.  That, and he is on wife number 5.

Married 9/19/09

• Options
    AMK2009AMK2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know much about them, but I remember the attorney I used to work for doing one for one of his clients.  Try calling David Regoli, he's in Felderelli Square. And don't feel bad about the prenup, if I had anything to protect, I'd have one too.  The divorce rate these days is too high not to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about this, but I do think it's a good thing to have in your situation with inheritance, because you are then protecting your grandparents should anything go wrong (not that it will).
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Angela and N.  I think that in your situation, a pre-nup is not a bad idea.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does B know about it?
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My company had issues when our VP (owners daughter) got divorced - no prenup.Does your GF have a lawyer?  I have no advice - GL!
  • Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh Jenn,  is it time for the knotties to move in with some rope and utilize the "murder room" for the weekend?  We could slip him about 500 differet desserts!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    B knows about it.  He is in more favor of it than I am because he said the same thing that Angela did, the divorce rate is too high and wants to reassure my Grandfather that he's not marrying me for money.. haha. Thanks for the rec, Angela.  I'll try him!

Married 9/19/09

• Options
    edited December 2011
    MURDER ROOM! MURDER ROOM! Only if Steve removes the block in the wall every once in a while! Hahaha. :)

Married 9/19/09

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What the? What is the murder room?
  • Options
    julieyarzjulieyarz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want a prenupt, there is no timeline about when it needs to be completed, but it should not be signed the day of.  They are legit in PA, and are usually enforceable.  But often are not needed because there are built in protections.  I know a lot about them, I am a family law attorney.  If you want to know more I can give you my email address.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it is too late for a pre-nup to be done unless you do not legally get married this Saturday and have the officiant sign the license at a later time.The prenup not only has to be drawn up by a lawyer, but I believe that you have to have your FI retain a totally separate lawyer, not paid with your money, who will review the pre-nup from his side.If one party does not have access to separate counsel, the whole thing can be null and void years later, as your FI would not have had an attorney looking out for his interests. Pre-nups are not solely to protect the assets of the "richer" member of the couple, but to ensure that the less wealthy spouse receives fair compensation as well depending on the length of marriage, reason for the dissolution, etc. So it has to be fair to both.I see nothing wrong with a pre-nup and considered one for my DH and I as well given our unbalanced assets/debts prior to marriage.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want a prenupt, there is no timeline about when it needs to be completed, but it should not be signed the day of.  They are legit in PA, and are usually enforceable.  But often are not needed because there are built in protections.  I know a lot about them, I am a family law attorney.  If you want to know more I can email you my contact information.
  • Options
    EmilyBerdellEmilyBerdell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jenn - YGM
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LMAO  @ murder room!!  too funny! backstory: my new house has a normal basement and then a random room with no windows and only about 5'7 high. Theres a cinder block that is removable for umm... ventilation?  lol- anyway, Steve calls it the murder room and i'm pretty sure the Graham and Steve are planning something for Jenn's g-pa come this Saturday...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want a prenupt, there is no timeline about when it needs to be completed, but it should not be signed the day of.But she's getting married Saturday, in three days. How in the world can this be drawn up and approved by both lawyers before Saturday so that it is not signed the day of? I was given this info in an email when I was engaged by a law student friend of mine, not sure if it still applies, but I was told that we had to go through a full financial disclosure (both of us), should be represented by our own attorneys, and should do this at least thirty days out from the wedding, signing a waiver at that time of our rights.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In all seriousness tho- Jenn, some people may judge you for wanting a prenup- but I kinda think you should have one.  You relaly never know.  And especially if its family money you have- you're protecting your family as well. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    backstory: my new house has a normal basement and then a random room with no windows and only about 5'7 high. Theres a cinder block that is removable for umm... ventilation? lol- anyway, Steve calls it the murder room and i'm pretty sure the Graham and Steve are planning something for Jenn's g-pa come this Saturday...OMG, I am so scared of your basement!  I wonder what it was for?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha! I'm scared of the murder room! We have one too. It was called the 'canning room' by my landlord, but it SO scares the craaaap out of me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL my grandpa's basement has two random murder rooms back to back...but they call them "coal cellar" and "fruit cellar."One was for holding coal, that I get...but one was just for fruit? Um, who needs a whole room for fruit? Maybe it was like a canning room, Molly?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah room for fruit and canning room sound the same. CREEPY!
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nothing to add about prenups, but those basement rooms are creeeeeepy.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    agreed- room is def creepy!  I'm thinking its a canning room- its a pretty old house.  But its weird how short it is, I just barely can stand in it. And it was obvious that someone knocked the cinder block out on purpose... weird.  I would love to change it to a dark room tho- if I even find affordable photo equipment
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love to change it to a dark room tho- if I even find affordable photo equipmentI was just thinking what you could turn it into, other than storage!  That's a good one. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That reminds me of Poe's The Cask of Amontillado.My family has a "root cellar" that they built into the side of a hill to store things such as apples and potatoes.  I refuse to walk in it because it's cold, damp, and lined with moss and creepy crawlies.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Candice, that just upped the creepy factor by like 1000 :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A post nupt can be signed after the wedding as well.  You avoid day of sigings, becaust it is something that can void the agreement.  If she is getting married Saturday, she will probably end of with a Post-nupt, which is also valid in PA. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards