Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Biggest Loser *spoilers*

I thought it deserved its own post. :-) It's going to be a great season- just when I thought the contestants couldn't get any bigger/sicker, they are. I bawled when the lady that lost her husband and kids in the car accident told her story. :-( (I forget her name...still trying to learn their names). I think Dan and Shea (sp?) make a great team. It's sad that someone has to go home the first week...it's like, can't they at least have 2 weeks? But I am encouraged by the update on Alexandra and all the weight she has lost on her own.

Re: Biggest Loser *spoilers*

• Options
    lildiva1977lildiva1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I missed BL last night, but I have always loved that show!  Will have to catch up next week!
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Abby (lady who lost her family) Had me crying too. and my FI usually makes fun of me when I cry at the TV. this time he was like aw babe that is sad. I wanted to scream at Shay ( the heaviest girl) when she gave up. Seriously I'm sorry but Jilliam only asked her to do 20 more seconds! I'm super happy to see Dan back! I loved him last season and I know that he is still 300+ lbs but if he's been working out for over 6 months now doens't he have an advantage?
    image.
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was waiting for you or Erica to start this post!I like all of the contestants, but it's still early.  Their personalities definitely come out when the competition gets more cut throat.My faves are the girl with the black hair from the pink team, Coach Moe, and the fire fighter guy.I didn't like either of the black team members so I didn't care who went home!  They're the only two I don't like so far.I don't know how I feel about Dan being back.  Before I was totally 100% for it because he kind of got shafted with his partner, but now I think it's a pretty unfair advantage because he's been working out and conditioning for months and will have a serious advantage in challenges (especially because so many of the contestants are in his weight range and are sooo out of shape, usually some of them are at least somewhat athletic).  Alexandra looked really great!

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    jennybean2010jennybean2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it's going to be a great season!!i don't really like that dan is back. i agree, i think he's going to have a very unfair advantage. i think coach mo is def my favorite, he's just so darn likeable!! however, i have a feeling that his partner is going to bring him down. i know she's sick and still in the hospital, but i get the feeling that when/if she returns she is going to be a continued problem. guess we will have to wait and see. i didn't like the black team either, so i didn't really care which one went home, though i did feel that alexandra had a better chance of being able to do it on her own-which was correct.it's gonna be a great season!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Abby's story was definitely extremely sad.I can't believe how much Shea weighed - I was shocked!!I really like the dark-haired girl on the pink team and Coach Mo.I have to say though, I was a bit annoyed last night.  Alexandra did look great but did it really need to take you one measly week at the ranch to realize you need to eat better and exercise?  You know she sat there and watched this show in past seasons - I just don't get it.  If you watch the show you can learn tons about the right stuff to eat, and how to work out - the fact that you need to face whatever demons you have.  Blah... it annoys me that people refuse to take control of their own lives until someone screams in their face.  vent overI don't know why, this season, this is suddenly annoying me.  I also thought Jillian was uber b!tch last night with Shea.  I mean - I know she needs a kick in the a$$ - but I felt like she was a bit over the top.I'm also not sure how I feel about Dan being back.  He does definitely still need to lose, but he also had his opportunity to be on the ranch - he knows what he needs to do - he's learned about eating right and exercising.  I feel like they should give someone else the opportunity.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Coach Mo is hands down my fav!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never watched it, but I sure did get sucked in last night. I love Abby and want to hug her. I hope that she stays strong. Jillian scared the shizz out of me. I think that they may be too tough, but it works I guess. I wish that they'd talk more about their meals/diets tho.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Molly - as the show goes on you'll see some good eating tips and more talk about diet. They never talk about food in the first episode - it's focus is always on personal stories and first workouts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah, that's good then. :)   Thanks, Erica!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll bet Alexandra's main motivation (in addition to getting healthy) was knowing that she'll be returning to national television to display her results.   Even with only one week of tracking their calories, learning to eat healthier, and seeing a weight loss, it must be enough tools and motivation for them to do it on their own. I always wonder how much time they spend working out each day at the ranch. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll bet Alexandra's main motivation (in addition to getting healthy) was knowing that she'll be returning to national television to display her results. Even with only one week of tracking their calories, learning to eat healthier, and seeing a weight loss, it must be enough tools and motivation for them to do it on their own. I'm sure national tv has a lot to do with it - but shouldn't the fact that you're killing yourself be a bit more important?  It really shocks me when these people are so surprised by how unhealthy and out of shape they really are.  Like their first doctor visit - hello??  You watch the show - you know exactly what you're going to see!!I know I'm sounding really negative today - I do really like this show and am glad to see these people making changes.  I guess it's just seeing so many seasons pass, and seeing the exact same attitudes over and over - as if this is their one and only chance to be healthy. When it's really in their hands the whole time.I always wonder how much time they spend working out each day at the ranch. Actually there are blogs (I believe on the BL website) where contestants talk about this.  They actually have TONS of down time on the ranch.  They really only spend a few hours a day in the gym.  Apparently they go shopping and to the movies a lot.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Interesting about the blog- I will have to check it out. I always thought they spent like 6-8 hrs. working out each day- it seems like it's their job. Not sure how I feel about Dan either....I really like the girls on the pink team. I'm worried about the lady in the hospital, though it does show her next week. Wow, I need to go on that site and learn some names.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I missed the first hour :( But I like most of the contestants. I was so excited to see that Alexandra had continued to lose weight at home. She looks really good. I'm going to have to watch it online or something because I missed all their stories. Oh and I was really hoping they would consider taking Mike's (from last season) brother. I just felt so bad for him when he saw his dad and brother lost all this weight and he is still the same.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh and I was really hoping they would consider taking Mike's (from last season) brother. I just felt so bad for him when he saw his dad and brother lost all this weight and he is still the same.I totally forgot about him - but I would've really liked to see him.  Maybe he's lost a lot at home with the help of Mike?  I'd love to know what's going on with him.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think Mike's brother is too young for the show- isn't he like 17? I thought you had to be 18.... I really would like to see him on the show as well though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh - maybe, Kim.  I didn't think about his age.  Mike was 18 when he went on, correct?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mike's brother was too young.  I wish they'd take him too.Molly, I'm 10000% convinced that those contestants do liquid diets the first week and that's why they don't focus on nutrition until the second week.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking about Mike's Brother too. I wish they'd do a follow up on him. It surprises me when they briong them all back at the end of the season and some of them haven't lost much weight. Since they do get the personal trainers at home. I think having a personal trainer kicking my a$$ at home would certaily keep me going to the gym And about Racey (lady who went to the hospital) I'm sorry this may make me sound a bit snakry but if you haven't ran a mile in over 15 years, shouldn't you know your body enough not to try to sprint for a a mile? OF COURSE you are going to end up feeling ill if not worse.
    image.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree Erica!  It makes me angry when I see people who lost so much weight on the show, then they regain it afterwards.  That tells me that the show/money was their motivating factor and they couldn't stick with it in normal life.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Gah, liquid diets. That has to be why they lose like 22-28 lbs in some cases. Mike and I were like "WHU?"  Mike has done Biggest Loser contests at work and has run and dieted and said that he doesn't see how - if you eat - that losing that much weight in one week is possible. He's no expert, of course, but he has done it a few times, so that was his opinion.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, and they're losing weight because, if they're smart, they're binging before they get there.  If I take a cheat day, my weight can fluctuate by 5-8 pounds the next day!  Clearly, I'm not gaining 5-8 lbs of real weight, but my body retains water and holds onto that weight usually for 2 days or so, then stabilizes.  If I were a contestant who was playing for the money, I would totally binge for 3-4 days beforehand so that my weight would be 12-15 pounds heavier, then stabilize by at least 8 pounds after 3-4 days.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the huge weight-loss first week is just because it's such a huge shock to the system.  They go from sitting on their a$$es every day eating crap, to working out 4-5 hours a day and eating only healthy foods.  It's probably a lot of water weight - because of the huge decrease in salt intake. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL, I am a chronic dieter and weigh myself every day (sometimes more than once) so I know how my body reacts to things.  If they've been eating like shiit for so long, their bodies have been retaining water for a LONG time.  Because your body is composed of so much water, when you cut the sodium out of your diet for a week and up your water intake, there you go!  Weight loss!  Is it "real" weight?  No, it's mostly water weight.  The fat doesn't start coming off until week 2, which is why their weight losses are usually so miniscule in week 2.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never watched the first show of the season (or any BL episodes at length).  I think it totally defeats the purpose of the show to send someone home after only a week...isn't the whole point to help the contestants.   I think it would be smarter to give them a month of basic training and eating health, just do a quick synopsis of that and then start the actual competition...it's not just a competition, it's these people's lives as well.  I felt horrible for Shea when that female trainer was yelling at her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Very interesting Stace- I don't really know much about weight gain/loss in general, so it was interesting for me to read your responses. I really hope the contestants aren't on a liquid diet for the first week though- that would really disappoint me. But you may be right I suppose.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't even think about the age thing with Mike's brother. You're probably right Kim. Well I hope they do some type of update on him and I hope Mike has continued to help and push him towards a healthier lifestyle. Poor kid.
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    edited December 2011
    See I'm the opposite on feeling bad for Shay getting beat up by Jillian the Trainer. But I think that's just my personality when it comes to having a coach. I work out harder when I have someone pushing me harder. When I was younger I always played better when I had a coach that yelled a little louder. So I would love to have Jillian as a trainer to whip me into shape. Sometimes people just need that extra push to get them going instead of being aw-ed and babied IMO
    image.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In regards to the Jillian thing, it totally depends on your personality.  That's why some people succeed with Bob and not Jillian.  Some people need Bob at first to get them into the right mindset and then can push on with Jillian (like Helen of last year).  I don't think that Jillian's approach is always appropriate during their first week on campus, at least not for all of the contestants.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    But I love that Jillian uses the swears. Makes it more real. :P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When it comes to myself, I'm actually the same type as you Elisha.  And I tend to admire athletes/coaches who are no nonsense and don't care if they hurt feelings.  But I realize that some people just don't respond to that and will just shut down completely and want to give you zero effort in return.  Shay seemed like she needed support more than anything...maybe at a later point after they start feeling good about themselves then the trainer can bring out the nastiness to push them harder, but there also has to be a level of confidence established between the trainer and contestant IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards