Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

**Jamie/Davey's**

Hey, I wanted to ask you if you did indeed watch the basketball Hall of Fame induction the other night (you mentioned how much you like to watch it). I watched it and told S. that Michael Jordan's speech was not what I expected.That said, I don't follow basketball and have since learned that his speech was typical Michael as he is very competitive, etc and doesn't hold back. As an outsider looking in, I thought the speech came off a little condescending/petty. Just wondering your thoughts?

Re: **Jamie/Davey's**

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you watch the coverage on ESPN2 on Sunday, or on Friday?  I'm just curious because the one on ESPN2 was really really edited down for the 4 "others" but MJ's speach was in it's entirety...I'm ubber PO'd about that...and if you did watch it on ESPN2, the others' speaches are well worth listening to.This is going to be a novel, I appologize.I am not, nor have I ever been a Jordan fan, however I was willing to put away all old grievances if he could have acted like a gracious human being that night and thank people...FAIL.  He actually flew in the guy who made varsity basketball ahead of him...who the f does that?  Crazy, he needs to spend that money he has on a psychiatrist.I thought the other 4 really did a great job being humble, thanking people, and showing that they never thought themselves above the game.  Jordan on the other hand was David Stern's golden boy who the refs had a special set of rules for...how can you not succeed?  And yet he found it reasonable to call out everyone who wronged him...the part about him not wanting to be his children b/c they had to live up to his image was particularly cruel as well.  I've been beating DH's ear off about how PO'd I was.  There's no "I" in team, but there's an "I" in win...great lesson to teach kids.I'm a huge Stockton fan, love Sloan as well, so I was absolutely thrilled they went in together (can't wait until Malone goes in next year, I might make that trip to Springfield).  I thought about going to the induction since Stock was no doubt a first ballot HOFer...but I decided against it b/c I really could not have stomached being in the crowd with so many MJ fans especially given his speech.  His speech was great, he was hilarious (he was so stoic as a player it was wonderful to see another side that fans weren't privy to) and I actually got a little teary eyed lol.  I can't freaking believe that MJ actually had to rub in that he beat the Jazz in the finals (they lost in game 6 by one point, the refs took away a jazz 3 pointer and allowed a bulls 2 pointer that was shot after the shot clock to count, but yeah, Mike did it all on his own!).  BTW, I guess the NBA is also not going to look any further into previous crooked reffing since they sent one to prison as the fall guy.Robinson and Stringer also gave great speaches and I don't know how anyone could not find some admiration for them after hearing them speak.  It really disgusts me too how no one else in the class is getting attention that they deserve (but never actively tried to get as players or coaches because they have too much dignity).  The media is whitewashing MJ's lack of respect as competitiveness...or just saying it was a great speech.  Quite honestly I don't know why I'm angered by this last part because it's always been this way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like I said before, I don't really follow basketball, so the only one I knew in the HOF class was Michael Jordan. I only caught Michael Jordan's speech and I just felt it was so weird and off...like no one could have previewed that for him and suggested how weird it was to him?Is he married? We couldn't decide if he still was or if he was divorced.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I figured he'd be the only one you knew out of the group (that's not a slight toward you, I'm pretty sure that's the way it was with a lot of the viewers b/c the others were low profile), I was curious if you did watch the others what the reaction was.  I said to DH that I thought the others probably gained a lot of peoples respect that never liked them before than Jordan did.  I'm honestly curious too if it turned off any of his fans.He said he told someone that he was just going to say "thank you" and sit down...I really wish he had...so I guess that's why it wasn't previewed.He's divorced...I'm not sure who the woman that was sitting next to him was though, maybe a new wife or gf?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards