Wedding Invitations & Paper

Guest Coming Out Of Town With Children

Advice desperately needed: I have family coming out of town and they do have children; gratefully they are all above the age of 11 years old, however, I do have those here in the same state as me with younger children and I am having an adult only reception. My fear is I am going to hear drama on the factor that the young children in the wedding party will be attending the reception.

Am I wrong if I decide to write on the rsvp "children from out of town only invited to reception" or should I just follow the advice being given by everyone on the theknot and just input the guest names?

Please help!

Re: Guest Coming Out Of Town With Children

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_guest-coming-out-of-town-children?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3af08ea0-da5a-4e05-a8e3-c84fc5a099a2Post:0c0995f4-3eba-494c-80ff-db537f6eb78c">Guest Coming Out Of Town With Children</a>:
    [QUOTE]Advice desperately needed: I have family coming out of town and they do have children; gratefully they are all above the age of 11 years old, however, I do have those here in the same state as me with younger children and I am having an adult only reception. My fear is I am going to hear drama on the factor that the young children in the wedding party will be attending the reception. Am I wrong if I decide to write on the rsvp <strong>"children from out of town only invited to reception"</strong> or should I just follow the advice being given by everyone on the theknot and just input the guest names? Please help!
    Posted by carmenarce[/QUOTE]
    If you are having an "adult only" reception, that means adults only.  If you're inviting any children, regardless of circumstances, it's not "adult only". 

Part of deciding not to invite children, or inviting certain children and not others, is having to hear about the drama.  Sorry, but that's just how it works.  I had to deal with it too.   The bolded phrase is pretty much guaranteed to piss people off much more than just inviting certain kids and not drawing attention to that.

It's best to just set a certain criteria (kids in the WP only, only kids who have to travel, just kids in immediate family) and stick to it.  But if people are going to be unhappy about their kids not being invited, they're going to be unhappy, and there's nothing you can really say or do to prevent that.  All you can do is stick to your guns.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards