Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invites to Broken Homes

Help! I planned to invite friends of my parents- just the Mr. and Mrs.- no kids. But now they're going through a nasty separation and the mother has expressed interest in bringing her daughter in lieu of her husband. I have no problem with that, but how do I address the invitation?
They so on-again-off-again, too, that it's possible the father will be able to come after all. They also have another young son but he will not be invited (mother has declared he's too little and too rowdy), so addressing it to the whole family is out.
Mr. and Mrs. and their daughter? I'm trying not to be rude and trying to include everyone without hurting anybody's feelings, I know they're going through a rough time right now.
Any ideas? I'd appreciate any input- thank you!!!

Re: Invites to Broken Homes

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013

You really need to include all of the family members, IMHO.

I think this is one rare situation that you could mayyyybe just put "The Smith Family"  when you address the invitation.

Or, just keep it along true etiquette lines...

Mr and Mrs John Smith
    Susie and Billy
    123 Main Street
    Anytown, USA 54321

When the RSVP comes in with the number attending, call Mrs. Smith to ask her the names of the attendee(s) if they're not otherwise indicated. Either way, let them make the decision about their family situation, not you.
  • Options
    Am I the only one offended but the title of Broken Homes?  Everyone's family has problems. That doesn't mean they're broken.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would address is Mrs. John Smith and Guest.
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I'm with itzMS -- just address it to the entire family and they can sort out who's going.  Her addressing template is correct.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invites-to-broken-homes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:46ef55d6-4b5e-4b26-81b0-b92bdb467fc4Post:2aaa971b-9ce2-48d6-a63b-42fe6a54badd">Re: Invites to Broken Homes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one offended but the title of Broken Homes?  Everyone's family has problems. That doesn't mean they're broken.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

I'm with you.  Like, if this was a question about people that lived in a house that got broken during a storm or earthquake and were temporarily living somewhere else but were hoping to move back into their home around the time the invitations were sent and the bride wasn't sure which adress to mail the invites to, then this title would be perfect.  Otherwise, I think the phrase broken homes is insulting.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invites-to-broken-homes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:46ef55d6-4b5e-4b26-81b0-b92bdb467fc4Post:2aaa971b-9ce2-48d6-a63b-42fe6a54badd">Re: Invites to Broken Homes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one offended but the title of Broken Homes?  Everyone's family has problems. That doesn't mean they're broken.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

No ma'am, you're not the only one ... that phrase offended me as well.  It sounds very judgmental and archaic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards