Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Would you buy your wedding dress off of Ebay?

Because I'm seriously considering it!! GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS Pronovias dress that retails for over $2,500 is being sold on Ebay (used) for $600... AHHHHH! I love it! However, it's non-refundable. Hmmmm. Plus I don't want to rob myself of the gown-trying-on experience. Still unsure of this one.

Re: Would you buy your wedding dress off of Ebay?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes and no.  Like you said, you'd lose the experience of trying on gowns...even if you're not one to get wrapped up in the sentiment, it'll atleast give you a better idea of what looks the best on you (there are a ton of ladies who never thought they'd go with one style or color, but they fell in love with it and it flattered them the most).  Also, I think it was Sara who found a dress online that looked like it was a designer gown, but it turned out to be a knock off when she read into it further.  So if you do go with ebay, do your research, make sure it's the one you still love and then get it for the great deal.  If it's used, I'd try to find out if they had any major alterations done to it that might not make it fit you (like taking 6 inches off the length)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good call-- I only thought about taking it in at the bust and waist, not the height!
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just curious, which one is it?  I wore a Pronovias and never see any girls around here who buy Pronovias gowns!

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All of the Pronovias gowns I've seen are breathtaking. Here are some pics, but I'm unsure of the name of the design. I'll go to the listing and check it out. Hopefully these pic links work... it's either from the 2008 or 2009 collection, I believe.[URL]http://tinyurl.com/nze7lc[/URL][URL]http://tinyurl.com/lb52wo[URL]
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not my dress, but gorgeous.  I would be concerned because she looks extremely small chested and it may be taken in a bit too much if you're more proportional.  Pronovias dresses also run like, 3 sizes smaller than your pant size.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She totally failed to mention that... I was wondering the size differential. That's going to be a blow to my ego when I go try other Pronovias styles on, I'm sure, haha! I think I'm probably going to pass on it, actually. The flowers on the side are removable and I was going to wear the dress minus the flowers... but that size/bust things is going to be a deal breaker. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's actually from the 2005 collection, wow! It's "Semilla".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to buy my dress on Ebay. My plan was to go shopping for gowns then try to find better prices online from used or discounted gowns. Unfortunately, I fell in love with a dress form a newer collection (and the price was good enough).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was totally prepared to buy my dress online but like N, fell in love with a dress from a new collection.  I thought I was going to buy dress A and found several reputable online dealers who had it for a great price.  Then I went to try it on (and several others) and found Dress B (which was THE one).  Since it was so new, I couldn't get it online.  I was ok with it because it was still in my budget.
  • Options
    AMK2009AMK2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are there any stores around here that you could go try it on just to make sure you love it, and then buy it on ebay?  I would totally not be opposed to buying a gown on ebay if it saved $2,000!!
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would, but not until I had the dress shopping experience to make sure that I really loved it.  And the PPs bring up great points about alterations, etc.  HTH!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I looked online and found a really cheap Jim Heljm dress. And then sleuth N looked into it and found it was a fake made in China... and who knows what that will look like.  Plus- the 'no refunds' thing would scare me. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly! In my case, the dress is from a 2005 collection, which makes finding one to try on difficult. But the saving astronomical amounts of $$$$ was my goal in looking on ebay in the first place. I did my budget calculator on marthastewart.com and just about went into shock, lol! So I'll probably continue to browse online so that I can stay within budget with my gown. I was thinking to save money that I would cut costs with:*engagement photos (I have a friend photographer, woo hoo!)*gown (buy second hand or at an online discount)*dj (hire a reputable dj from my rural area vs. expensive city dj)*transportation (party bus instead of limo)*wedding programs (either forgo altogether, or DIY)*wedding day hair and makeup (my cousin is marrying a talented beautician and she's doing complimentary hair/makeup for me!!)I just needed to cut corners bc I need flowers for a large bridal party, I really wanted a fabulous (but expensive) photographer, and I want to hire a lighting technician for the venue... so in order to accommodate those things I had to cut back elsewhere. Why are wedding so expensive?! Haha!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Marbus-- "made in China" made me lol!!
  • Options
    AMK2009AMK2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amber, have you looked at the "ghetto-fabulous" David's Bridal?  I know alot of girls here don't look for dresses there, but they're much cheaper than designer dresses.  I think I paid $450 for mine, there's no way I was spending $1,000+ on a dress that I was going to wear for one day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't looked there... actually, I haven't physically been anywhere to try on dresses yet, haha! They are putting up decent pics in magazines like Modern Bride, so I don't think I'm opposed to looking there! Thanks for suggestion!
  • Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also planned to buy a gown online, but when I finally found the one I loved, it didn't cost any less to order online and no one was selling it used.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards