Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invite Wording

Please help, i am confused...we are doing a welcome hour with drinks before the ceremony, this starts at two, but the actual ceremony starts at three, i want to let people know that they have this hour to get there when they want...this is what i've come up with...does it work?

Sunday, May Second, Two thousand and ten
at Two o'clock in the afternoon, ceremony to commence at Three o’clock in the afternoon

Dinner and Dancing
Immediately following the ceremony

We are also doing a cocktail hour with canapes and our toasts right after the ceremony, so should it read "cocktain hour, sit down dinner, and dancing" instead of just dinner and dancing?

Help is greatly appreciated...and i don't know what i did to get three different size text...sorry, i hope its not annoying.

TIA

Re: Invite Wording

• I think that's too wordy.  I would go with something like this:

Sunday, May Second
    Two thousand and ten
    three o'clock in the afternoon

Pre-ceremony Cocktail Hour begins at two o'clock
    Dinner and Dancing immediately following the ceremony

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think you need to specifically mention the cocktail hour, it's usually implied.

I also don't think you should mention the welcome thing before you list the ceremony.  Perhaps you could have a reception card insert, reading something like "Drinks and snacks will be served before the ceremony, beginning at two o'clock.  Dinner and dancing will immediately follow the ceremony."  It just seems kind of awkward and confusing to put all of that information directly on the invitation.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Thanks, do you think i could just put two o'clock and leave it at that, people will arrive and see that we are doing drinks before the ceremony...my other idea is to drop the pre-ceremony drinks and just have the cocktail hour after given the ceremony is only 20 mins, then it would start at three o'clock instead
  • I wouldn't put two o'clock.  Most people I know aim to be at the ceremony site 20-30 minutes prior to start time, so if they get the impression that the wedding starts at 2:00, you'll have people arriving at 1:30 and having to wait until 3:00.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I love the pre-ceremony cocktail idea, although I would keep it light and limit what you're spending on it. 

The invite should be specific to the ceremony and say 3 pm.  The reception insert should list the pre-ceremony stuff and the full reception.  If you don't have a reception insert, I'd do something like this:

You
    and
    FI
    request the pleasure of your company
    at their marriage
    Saturday, the day of Month
    Two thousand ten
    three o'clock in the afternoon
    Venue Name
    City, State

Cocktails and Canapes
    at two o'clock

Dinner, Drinks and Dancing
    Immediately following
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • aerinpegadrak i didn't even think about people showing up early, you are right...

Squirrly, thank you, i think i will follow the suggestion of an insert and list what you put, it is so much simpler.

thank you all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards