Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Fall Fashion Help

To keep today interesting, I could use some help!  I need to update my wardrobe a bit.  DH actually said to me, "I love what you wear, but you're not trendy or anything."  Eeks.Can you name some things that I can get to update my look?  For example, I saw the long sweater/leggings at Express but I think 31 might be too old for that.  (And probably not business casual appropriate for work!)  I'm stuck at an annex building with IT so I'm not around the trendy merchants/buyers to get ideas.
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fall Fashion Help

• Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go raid your sister's closet.  :)Just kidding - I'm really no help at all, as I'm not too fashionable either.  But I do love Banana and the Limited vs. Express lately. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know!  I miss her not living with me.  She shops at Forever 21 a lot.  When I walk in there, I feel so out of place and lost. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hit up a store like H&M. It is full of work-appropriate, well-priced trendy clothes. For fall-- cropped blazers are in, skinny jeans or pants with leather boots over them (not uggs), long cardigans, printed skirts, ruffly blouses. I think you can pull off leggins at 31. Plus, you don't look even close to that age. I have a few sweater-dresses that I like wearing with dark tights and tall boots when it gets colder. They end up looking trendy and professional.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am intimidated in F21.  Nothing looks like it will fit me and the crazy organization of everything is confusing.  I love the dresses people get there but nothing looks the same to me in the store.  And everything is too short for my freakishly long legs. 
  • Options
    elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    a fuller legged trouser or jean. if you like the look of a long sweater get a button down sweater that you can wear with a trouser and a more fitted blouse underneath. I LOVE the fashions for this fall :)
    image.
  • Options
    New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looove fall clothes! You're nowhere near to old for leggings, but I never wear those to the office. Some of my coworkers do, but it just doesn't feel work appropriate to me. But then again, I don't even feel work appropriate in sleeveless shirts, so I dunno.Ditto the tights. Tights and boots or tights and pumps are trendy and will help you carry your summer skirts and dresses over to fall. I *do* like to shop at Forever21 for cheap, trendy clothes. But it's not the store that intimidates me - it's having to stand in line for a fitting room with a bunch of 13 year olds! I'm in my mid-20s, and standing next to them makes me feel old, huge, and frumpy, since shopping at F21 is apparently an occasion that requires them all to be perfectly made up and dressed up!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You guys are awesome.  I totally forgot about H&M when I went to the mall yesterday!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, good post!  I hope to shop a bit this weekend. I seriously haven't gotten new clothes in a few years.  I still wear things from high school.  I am using a bit of my school refund money to buy clothes and feel human again!  HahaI went into Ann Taylor and tried clothes on for the first time recently.  Loved the jeans and found a trendy dress shirt that was really cute.  I'll have to check out H&M.  I never really like much in Express, though. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh wait, it was Ann Taylor Loft.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also tend to pick up a lot of brands like Ann Taylor Loft, and Limited (work pants) at Gabriel Brothers. I just bought about 4 ATL sweaters @ 2 for $15 and Limited pants for $10. It's completely hit or miss though
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Candice, considering that you look younger than me, I think that you can definitely pull of a long sweater and leggings!  You're also so freaking adorable that it works!I'm all for H&M and F21.  I've found a lot of cute, age-appropriate, and affordable things at F21!  I especially love their accessories cause they're so cheap and I always get great compliments on them.AT Loft has a lot of cute stuff but it's usually kind of plain.  White House Black Market has has a lot of realllly cute stuff.  I actually really like shopping at TJMaxx and/or Marshalls.  I always find a lot of good stuff there.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love Forever 21. A lot of my work clothes come from there. You have to be patient and brave, because you really have to dig through things to find ANYTHING. But they do have very cute, cheap clothes that can be work-appropriate.And yes, Jenn, the HS girls with their full make-up and blown out hair are intense!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome deal!  Sometimes it's so frustrationg sorting through all of the junk at the discount stores, though.  I should probably try it out, because I'm always too cheap to pay full prices at the designer stores.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I buy all my work pants at the Limited, though they're mostly the Drew/tighter fit.  I'll branch out to a wider leg.  I love tights with boots/pumps so maybe I'll expand on that a bit.  My cardigans are all old so they're super short, I'll try to find some that are longer with blouses for underneath instead of cleavage-baring tanks.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    KR- F21 would definitely fit you.. you are tiiiiny!  They have a lot of empire waisted tops and tunics that could also work really well for your pregnancy!Jenn- that's why I order F21 stuff online.. the one in RP mall is way too crazy with lots of high school kids. 

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like F21, but the sizing is weird to me.  Nothing ever fits very well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll have to check out TJMaxx and Marshalls.  I've never really shopped there.  I am patient and I can easily shop during lunch when I have no one to eat with.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Candice, I'd start with new cardigans in that case - I just bought some of the "slub" type (like a warmer version of a tissue tee) and boyfriend styles and love them!
  • Options
    lildiva1977lildiva1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe a knottie shopping spree is in order!! I love helping people find clothes!! I like the trendy looks, but Lane Bryant and Fashion Bug are some of the few plus size stores and LB is SOOO expensive!!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sonya, I can only buy tops and a-line dresses from F21 - their clothes just aren't made for those with hips! I have been wanting to try their Love 21/contemporary line, but it's only available online and I just haven't gotten around to ordering, lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I should be taking notes.  I'm not fashionable at all.  I love shopping tho- but have a hard time actually committing to buying anything
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    but have a hard time actually committing to buying anythingLOL, Sara.. you? never! <3 you! 

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    so heres a site I found this summer. www.polyvore.com love the site- I should actually try using in IRL...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A cardigan would be really nice right now, I'm freezing.  I'm not sure how well it would go with my Ben jersey, black dress pants, and sketchers.  I'm a slub, lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can tell I am not a pittsburgh native - I have NEVER worn a jersey to work! Can't imagine doing it, lol. I think I am the *only* one in my office not to do so!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    but have a hard time actually committing to buying anythingLOL, Sara.. you? never! <3 you!This made me actually LOL.  :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jenn, so funny! I don't even own a Pittsburgh jersey of any kind.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sonya, DH bought me one the first superbowl that I lived here (2005-2006 season I think?). I wore it once.
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Super duper late to this and you ladies are spot on with the fall trends, but there are a couple of sites that I always like for a quick, fairly well edited view of the big trends for the upcoming season- from which you pick and choose based on your own personal style of course!Piperlime has a good "top 10 fall trend" guide up right now.  Anthropologie creates "outfits" on their website a few times a year that are seasonally based.  NYmag.com has my favorite coverage of actual fashion shows and fashion news and gossip.  HTH!FWIW, I absolutely think you can pull of leggings and a long sweater!  There are some leggings-style pants out there that are still really fitted but have some structure if you don't want to go the full-on spandex route- think more like an Audrey Hepburn cigarette pant :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    but have a hard time actually committing to buying anythingLOL, Sara.. you? never! <3 you!This made me actually LOL. :)LMAO!!  I didn't even see this!  You know me too well... hehehehe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards